Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done so much browsing regarding my 29g aquarium and the lighting that would be best for a mixed reef.

Every single 29g thread I search on the World Wide Web is a nano tank, a biocube or some sort of AIO system.

As mentioned in the title of this thread; the dimensions of my aquarium measure out at 30”x12”x18”. What are some of my options to lighting my aquarium successfully? How many will suffice? Thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Avast

Jdzzl03

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can really use just about anything with those dimensions. I am partial to Kessil so you could leverage the A360. The app is pretty good and I like being able to control everything on my phone. Keep in mind it will really come down to coral placement and getting a PAR meter (renting from BRS or local reefer / buy Seneye) to understand the intensity at the edges so you will be able to "map" your placement appropriately.

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can really use just about anything with those dimensions. I am partial to Kessil so you could leverage the A360. The app is pretty good and I like being able to control everything on my phone. Keep in mind it will really come down to coral placement and getting a PAR meter (renting from BRS or local reefer / buy Seneye) to understand the intensity at the edges so you will be able to "map" your placement appropriately.

Thank You!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My depth is 18” -
(I may have my [HASH=57114]#x#x[/HASH]# in the wrong order) ooPs
Mine is 20” deep and the A160s provide more than enough power at the sand bed for lps/zoas. I even have them turned down pretty low

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting LEDs for sure?

What's your budget? What features do you want?

LED’s are definitely the go-to here.
- I guess I’m in the debate b/c of my aquarium dimensions. Should I go with one or two of something specific? Which has the best “set it and forget” care free setup/scheduling (apps./wifi/BT etc.).

I would like to have the light option where it fades up, fades down. A shimmer is always a touch (a +), but it’s not a must have. Lastly, I’d like to add that I’m not looking to frag out corals, just looking to keep a mixed reef happy with lightning.

I’d say it’s been my biggest setback going on a year into reefing, my lighting.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you wanting LEDs for sure?

What's your budget? What features do you want?

I realized I never snapped a photo of the FT. I’ve replied again with a picture. **since you’re seeing this direct, should I add my LR to the aquascape ;)

B53802A2-4261-4B58-BBFA-4E389ADA60D0.jpeg

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cover a 30" mixed reef, you'll either want multiple 'puck' type fixtures (AI, Kessil, Red Sea, Noopsyche, or others) or a 'panel,' like Reebreeders Photon, or G5 Radion.

Lots of options there.
If money isn't an object, I might go with 2 x Radion XR15 Pros or 2 AI Hydras. For a more budget build, I would look into 2 x Noopsyche K7s.

For a panel style, a Reefbreeders V2 24" model is what I would go with.

That being said, I'm not an LED guy. Just trying to help, as LED choices can be overwhelming.
*more LR to the aquarium?
I wouldn't add more rock. Looks good.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To cover a 30" mixed reef, you'll either want multiple 'puck' type fixtures (AI, Kessil, Red Sea, Noopsyche, or others) or a 'panel,' like Reebreeders Photon, or G5 Radion.

Lots of options there.
If money isn't an object, I might go with 2 x Radion XR15 Pros or 2 AI Hydras. For a more budget build, I would look into 2 x Noopsyche K7s.

For a panel style, a Reefbreeders V2 24" model is what I would go with.

That being said, I'm not an LED guy. Just trying to help, as LED choices can be overwhelming.

I wouldn't add more rock. Looks good.
Thanks for all the recommendations and the LR answer.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back