Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coloring up is a huge part of the name game.

Silly as it is....it takes months of specific nutrient and par to bring out certain colors. Each vendor has their own combination of these.

As for the amount of actual strains....who really knows.

The asd HG torch strain has taken on so many different names from the different vendors/hobbiest that have grown them that its hard to follow....I have about 10 asd variations from different vendors and to me I see a difference in quite a few of them but not all 10. Over time they have changed in my tank as well.

Once they change just enough to notice a difference you can put a name on it.

More yellow...different name....green mouth different name. Etc....

The really hard part is when hobbiest try to keep those colors in our own tanks.

They dull and are not as vibrant most of the time as we as hobbiest don't jeep the same tanks as vendors.

So we go searching for that combination of perfect nutrient and par to try and recreate those colors.
I know this how the Sps game works and that’s all I’ve ever kept till this go around I have a mixed reef.. I’m new to torches and wasn’t sure if they would color up etc.. I have mine in low par and they’re super gold for now.. I have a radion XR 15, g6 blue over a 60 gal cube.. I’m actually bleaching a torch in the sand and some other corals.. I’ve never checked my par but numbers I’ve seen on here I’d guess they’re in about 40 par lol… I’m not buying the high par numbers game anymore with todays led technology etc.. my Sps are taking off and sit in 100 par if I go off the numbers seen in many posts.. who knows haha! I was just curious if these things actually color up or morph etc..

AquaCave Logo Banner

Brittanyjo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of what I'm looking for.

It's a WYSIWYG pic of an Indo 24K. Wondering if the yellow is truly yellow, or is that just how the camera renders it.
I'm pretty sure This is an Aussie Torch. You can tell from larger tentacles. Not indo. I've heard they are harder to keep.

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info Merk.

Dropping some info from a previous conversation of ours as I think people will find it interesting.

To pull out that high gold color, PAR need is way higher than most of us keep torches in. 350-450 was the range if I remember correctly?

Nutramar Foods

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% @Lost in the Sauce

But if the nutrients in the tank aren't at a specific level those par readings will burn and kill corals.

Higher nutrients allows for higher acceptance of par ;)

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this how the Sps game works and that’s all I’ve ever kept till this go around I have a mixed reef.. I’m new to torches and wasn’t sure if they would color up etc.. I have mine in low par and they’re super gold for now.. I have a radion XR 15, g6 blue over a 60 gal cube.. I’m actually bleaching a torch in the sand and some other corals.. I’ve never checked my par but numbers I’ve seen on here I’d guess they’re in about 40 par lol… I’m not buying the high par numbers game anymore with todays led technology etc.. my Sps are taking off and sit in 100 par if I go off the numbers seen in many posts.. who knows haha! I was just curious if these things actually color up or morph etc..

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Troylee With torches the nutrients and par play a huge roll with bleaching as well as flow which I've seen all lead to it unfortunately.

I hear what your saying about bleaching your torch but much more goes into it than par you are giving your coral.

Bleaching happens for various reasons with torches and par can be a contributing factor but is just 1 piece to the puzzle.

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely get a par meter and check what you are actually giving them. You may be suprised.

It's really the only way to know.

Guessing will just get you into trouble.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% @Lost in the Sauce

But if the nutrients in the tank aren't at a specific level those par readings will burn and kill corals.

Higher nutrients allows for higher acceptance of par ;)
Good Caveat. Forgot about that last part!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Troylee With torches the nutrients and par play a huge roll with bleaching as well as flow which I've seen all lead to it unfortunately.

I hear what your saying about bleaching your torch but much more goes into it than par you are giving your coral.

Bleaching happens for various reasons with torches and par can be a contributing factor but is just 1 piece to the puzzle.
Nutrients are not an issue in my tank haha! Nitrates around 80-100 and my po4 is at .54 yikes!! I stopped fighting it.. I’ve had this dragon soul for months and it’s happy as can be! Super high nutrients and low par is where my tank is at… at least the numbers I’ve seen under a radion XR 15 are super low.
DBC4F943-EB31-427E-AFFE-093C51386D3C.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back