+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I am starting up a 20g H (I wish I had gotten a 20g L, but tank stands were a bit more $ tricky with the L than the H) and I am looking for stocking ideas if anyone has any good experience with some neat fish combinations for a 20G!

I really like the idea of a goby pistol shrimp pair, and also have fallen in love with some mocha long-fin clownfish at my LFS and am thinking of starting there if that helps.

I definitely want to maximize the stocking capacity, but more importantly I want the fish/inverts to be happy & healthy with the size and stocking load.

I am also considering trying my hand at some soft or LPS corals once I have the tank established a bit, but that's not set in stone because fortunately I also have the option of trying to keep corals in my 90 gal co-tank with my dad once the nitrates & phosphates creep down a bit more, I think? LOL.

Any and all input/questioning is more than welcome. FYI I am a total noob beyond FOWLR. Very novice, but somewhat experienced to FOWLR.

Thank you!

Avast

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many (and the type of) fish you can reasonably accommodate depends on a lot of factors: filtration, rock work, sand bed, etc. If you're planning for a goby/shrimp you'll want finer sand for them to be able to bury/dig. The clownfish should be fine as well (you may want to consider a male/female pair from the outset).

4 fish is a good initial target (I wouldn't added all 4 right away).

OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many (and the type of) fish you can reasonably accommodate depends on a lot of factors: filtration, rock work, sand bed, etc. If you're planning for a goby/shrimp you'll want finer sand for them to be able to bury/dig. The clownfish should be fine as well (you may want to consider a male/female pair from the outset).

4 fish is a good initial target (I wouldn't added all 4 right away).
Thank you! Would Carib sea fiji pink live sand be acceptable for a Goby/shrimp pair?

World Wide Corals

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a smaller tank and a high stocking goal I would suggest having lots of rock work and almost breaking up the tank into separate areas for territories to be established; break up sight lines. Also heavy export (skimmer/filter/refugium) implementation. Good luck! I started w a 20 H

OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a smaller tank and a high stocking goal I would suggest having lots of rock work and almost breaking up the tank into separate areas for territories to be established; break up sight lines. Also heavy export (skimmer/filter/refugium) implementation. Good luck! I started w a 20 H
I will keep that in mind, thank you!!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 g cube so just a tad bigger than yours! I have a yasha goby and still plan on getting a shrimp for him. He is super fun and hangs out under my rock. Your sand should be great! You actually don't want too fine of sand because the tunnels will collapse. Something to think about...I put all my liverock on little inch tall pvc pipe stilts so they're floating. That way if the shrimp burrows it won't get crushed by falling rock. It also gave my yasha automatic caves where the sand didn't fill in all the way and allowed him to settle in well because he was super skittish the first few days. I have a clown pair and they do great. I would definitely suggest a pair. And if you want to hit your fill after a while you could add a blenny or maybe a small wrasse or something. I have a tailspot and he eats my algae and is a fun swimmer.

As far as coral, I have found that LPS and softies are great for me as a beginner. They add a lot of movement which I love and a lot of color. They're low maintenance and hardy. I have some frogspawn, devils hand leather, a little leather tree, some zoas, some mushrooms, and some candy canes. Hope this helps.

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. That tank was practically made for cardinalfish IMO.
2. Beware about pistol shrimp/goby pair if you plan on keeping corals that sit on or near the bottom. They have a habit of covering them.
3. I'd look into clown goby's if you don't keep the more demanding SPS corals.
4. Royal gramma - just don't forget the rockwork.
5. If you want clownfish make sure they are last and go with the 'ocellaris' type, not percula.
6. A nice skunk cleaner shrimp for added movement.
7. And a pygmy or pink streak wrasse to top things off.

Sooooo, this would be my recommendation.
1 Cardinalfish
1 Clown Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Pygmy/Pink Streak Wrasse as your showpiece fish
1 Cleaner shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermitcrabs (NOT red legged or blues)
1 Tiger conch

Bio load will be moderate which is nice for soft corals. They are all very hardy fish and easy to keep. And they are typically peaceful too.

OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely want to get more rock work. Did you run a refugium on your 20H?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 32 g cube so just a tad bigger than yours! I have a yasha goby and still plan on getting a shrimp for him. He is super fun and hangs out under my rock. Your sand should be great! You actually don't want too fine of sand because the tunnels will collapse. Something to think about...I put all my liverock on little inch tall pvc pipe stilts so they're floating. That way if the shrimp burrows it won't get crushed by falling rock. It also gave my yasha automatic caves where the sand didn't fill in all the way and allowed him to settle in well because he was super skittish the first few days. I have a clown pair and they do great. I would definitely suggest a pair. And if you want to hit your fill after a while you could add a blenny or maybe a small wrasse or something. I have a tailspot and he eats my algae and is a fun swimmer.

As far as coral, I have found that LPS and softies are great for me as a beginner. They add a lot of movement which I love and a lot of color. They're low maintenance and hardy. I have some frogspawn, devils hand leather, a little leather tree, some zoas, some mushrooms, and some candy canes. Hope this helps.
This is wonderful thank you so much! I definitely am going to think about the stilts aspect to my rocks to keep my future goby/shrimp pair safe.

OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. That tank was practically made for cardinalfish IMO.
2. Beware about pistol shrimp/goby pair if you plan on keeping corals that sit on or near the bottom. They have a habit of covering them.
3. I'd look into clown goby's if you don't keep the more demanding SPS corals.
4. Royal gramma - just don't forget the rockwork.
5. If you want clownfish make sure they are last and go with the 'ocellaris' type, not percula.
6. A nice skunk cleaner shrimp for added movement.
7. And a pygmy or pink streak wrasse to top things off.

Sooooo, this would be my recommendation.
1 Cardinalfish
1 Clown Goby
1 Royal Gramma
1 Pygmy/Pink Streak Wrasse as your showpiece fish
1 Cleaner shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermitcrabs (NOT red legged or blues)
1 Tiger conch

Bio load will be moderate which is nice for soft corals. They are all very hardy fish and easy to keep. And they are typically peaceful too.
You are speaking my language as I have had my eye on the banggai cardinal fish for a while now! Thank you so much for your recommendations, I'm definitely going to check out a pygmy/pink streak wrasse.

I'm curious, why do you say NOT red legged or blue hermit crabs?

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are speaking my language as I have had my eye on the banggai cardinal fish for a while now! Thank you so much for your recommendations, I'm definitely going to check out a pygmy/pink streak wrasse.

I'm curious, why do you say NOT red legged or blue hermit crabs?
Scarlet hermits are the most peaceful type (as hermits go). Out of the two dozen I currently have only 1 died under mysterious circumstances after a year and a half. I don't know another hermit species that has that kind of longevity. They are very vibrant colored which makes them fun. Only downside is they can be expensive.

Red legged hermits are also peaceful, but they die off pretty quickly. Blues are just mean, but they are so tiny they rarely ever bother other animals. I really don't contribute anything IMO to a tank.

World Wide Corals

stovenut

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 20H tanks. 1 in home and 1 in my classroom. Great size. I don't have a skimmer, just an Aqueon HOB filter and plenty of live rock. I use nano ATOs on both as well. Good ol' black box lights grow all types of corals and my RBTAs are colorful and keep splitting. As far as stocking I keep a mated pair of osellaris clowns (mixed coloration) in each tank. In 1 I also have a pair of yellow watchman gobies with a pistol shrimp. In the other I have a starry blenny and azure damsel. 4 small fish is definitely your max. You can add a shrimp and hermits/snails and you're good to go.

OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scarlet hermits are the most peaceful type (as hermits go). Out of the two dozen I currently have only 1 died under mysterious circumstances after a year and a half. I don't know another hermit species that has that kind of longevity. They are very vibrant colored which makes them fun. Only downside is they can be expensive.

Red legged hermits are also peaceful, but they die off pretty quickly. Blues are just mean, but they are so tiny they rarely ever bother other animals. I really don't contribute anything IMO to a tank.
Interesting, Thank you!!

BRS
OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 20H tanks. 1 in home and 1 in my classroom. Great size. I don't have a skimmer, just an Aqueon HOB filter and plenty of live rock. I use nano ATOs on both as well. Good ol' black box lights grow all types of corals and my RBTAs are colorful and keep splitting. As far as stocking I keep a mated pair of osellaris clowns (mixed coloration) in each tank. In 1 I also have a pair of yellow watchman gobies with a pistol shrimp. In the other I have a starry blenny and azure damsel. 4 small fish is definitely your max. You can add a shrimp and hermits/snails and you're good to go.
Sounds like you have some neat setups! I have had my eye on the starry blenny. Thank you!

OP
OP
NorthEastreef98

NorthEastreef98

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g and a build thread that goes along with it.
Feel free to check it out for ideas on scape too. I made two islands so to speak.
Goby/pistol pair is doing great.
I like what you did with your aquascape. Your ATO setup is pretty dang cool too!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jason Scalise

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you did with your aquascape. Your ATO setup is pretty dang cool too!
thanks. So far (during the cooler winter months and not the arid summer months that we have here) the ATO comes on for 90 seconds at 0700 in the morning and that tops off the ATO reservoir from yesterdays consumption. I can see it in the Apex log every morning. Therefore it does not need to cycle on/off throughout the day.
Is that "better"? I dont know and arguably not "better" just different. But I like it that way.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back