Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the short version. I have 4 anemones in my tank. 2 are doing really good and the other 2 seem to be bleaching out. Why?

Long version (if you're still interested in helping me):
I have 4 anemones. Two are rose bubble tips and they have been doing great for a few months now. The two other I believe I green BTAs. They both had great color at first and now seem to be bleaching out. Why could that be? I can't figure it out since 2 are doing really good and the other 2 aren't. I have a 75 gallon tank and my paramaters are stable. I recently started dosing NOPOX to lower my phosphates because they have been about 0.35ppm and I want them lower, but I can't say that's the cause because they were starting to lose color at least a month before I started. Nothing else has changed. Any suggestions/advice? Please help. I have attached pictures in white light so you are able to see the colors without the blues. And one picture of how the one anemone used to look like.View attachment 781480 View attachment 781481 View attachment 781482 View attachment 781484 View attachment 781485 View attachment 781488

CLICK TO VIEW

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re changing color, which isn’t uncommon, but don’t look bleached to me.

Sometimes light changes or temp swings will drive pigmentation, could also be nutrient related.

As a side note - nopox is not the best way to reduce phosphates. You’ll end up stripping nitrates and have small impact on phosphates. The imbalances can lead to cyano. Use GFO or Lanthanum if you want to lower phosphates.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back