180 Gallon Reef corals not growing. Help please.

BRS

Llyod276

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off only the skimmer and return for an hour(unless I forget to turn back on, then 6~12hrs). Leave the powerheads running, something I read a while back about this layer of water surrounding everything and the flow helps the food get past this layer to the coral, idk it was something to those lines. No feed at the Sametime as the fish about 6ish in the evening. Mix it all together and toss it in. You can feed at night, but I don't.

Avast
OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized you were in Sydney. Was thinking you were filling 55 gallon barrels from the Jersey shore :)
Is it bad to be using NSW? We do not really have coral reefs here, more kelp type things. I am assuming the water requirements for kelp differ to coral, meaning the water parameters are probably different?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it bad to be using NSW? We do not really have coral reefs here, more kelp type things. I am assuming the water requirements for kelp differ to coral, meaning the water parameters are probably different?

Not sure. That’s why I mentioned it so some experts would chime in.

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that was a little bit of a duh questions haha. I do have a question about nutrients tho. I think someone mentioned that 0.03 phosphates and 4 nitrates were on the low side of things. Do you have any experience with nutrient levels?

Llyod276

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much everything is open and happy. Could be it's just taking its time. Think of how old that reef on The north side is. Nutrients are meh, I'm not a stickler for them. If it's open and happy it's good.

For some reason there are tanks on here that can't grow certain things, at least yours are not dying off.

In my tank I can't grow LPS, killed just about everything I put in. But softies and sps grow like the weeds they are.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Funston07

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duuuuude. You definitely shouldn't be worried about coral growth lol. My tank has been running for 18 months and not a single coral is even a fraction of the size of yours. Your tank is beautiful honestly. It does seem like people act like their coral grow in no time but thats not reality. I think other people's definition of fast and my definition of fast are just different and it seems like your idea of it is like mine. It will grow don't worry, at least it all looks happy.

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, a couple of things jumped off of the page. Are you monitoring how much Bio Enhance you’re using? I believe it’s to be used with a Protein Skimmer which tells me unused
I am not quite sure I fully understood that. I am dosing 4 ml of bio enhance thru a doser spread out 4 times in a day. I have a protein skimmer running at all times, day and night.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duuuuude. You definitely shouldn't be worried about coral growth lol. My tank has been running for 18 months and not a single coral is even a fraction of the size of yours. Your tank is beautiful honestly. It does seem like people act like their coral grow in no time but thats not reality. I think other people's definition of fast and my definition of fast are just different and it seems like your idea of it is like mine. It will grow don't worry, at least it all looks happy.
HAHA you are probably right. I should be more grateful for what I have instead of wishing for it to be better. I guess it will grow at some point right?! Truth is I have mates with the guy at my LFS so i often get larger pieces at a pretty nice discount, which is why some of the pieces are so large - no way would I buy some of those at full price hahaha. Theyre actually the ones that sold me the tank, it was one of their old display tanks!

outhouse

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I do have unrealistic expectations.
No sir you do not !!!! while your tank looks great, I have almost filled a 210G tank in just a few years. I switched to leds, and had no growth and thought it was my lights. It was!!! intensity was set way to high. Corals fed to much light wont always bleach, they just dont gow. Mine didnt grow for over 5 years. what a waste of electricity and money. I turned my lights down to 10% B and 1% W and in 3 months I have had more growth then the last 5 years. If you dont see growth monthly, you have issues. NOW with that said your tank looks awesome, I would not make drastic or large changes, and id use caution changing intensity. But thats where my money is at with you.
reef.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realised I made a mistake with the Nero 5 Powerheads. I meant 800 gallons per hour per power head, not 8000.
Personally, for a mixed reef, I like between 50 and 75 total tank turnover. So if your tank is 180g, you would need 9000gph on the low end. I do think that with larger tanks, you can go a little lower on the ratio, so if you were at 8000gph, you’d probably be pretty good. If you’re closer to 4000, I’d definitely turn up the neros, but start slow, turn it up 10% every few days. I think your issue is likely lighting and flow, I would I ncrease the flow and move your corals closer to the light (or at least a couple) and see what they do, if they improve then you know you probably need new lights (or to supplement what you have, you could add some reefbrite strips or a few AI Primes to beef up what you already have if they’re otherwise in good condition).

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I do have unrealistic expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to help me! If I am looking at purchasing some more sps frags, assuming the lighting is not the problem, what other things can I do to give them a happy life? Its not that I am trying to fill the tank up, its more I would like them to be happy, first and foremost, which I thought means they should encrust onto the rock so they do not look so unnatural.

I think your tank is looking great you clearly are doing a lot of things right and you want to make sure any changes dont mess it up!!

Having said that i dont think you have unrealistic expectations. Based off your description of acros/acans/eupyhyllia having no appreciable growth in a 12 to 18 month timespan that does not seem right. I am certainly not saying you "need" to do anything just agreeing that does seem like an extended period of time for limited growth. Sps often is pretty dormant for awhile especially in a new tank, but again at this point i would have expected to see some good growth. Things like acans are not super fast growers, but again in a year plus would expect at least a couple heads in all directions.

I know nothing about those specific lights, but if you have access to a par meter to borrow would be nice to check par closer to the bottom of the tank. May allow you to get a better idea if lighting is issue.

Top Shelf Aquatics

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realised I made a mistake with the Nero 5 Powerheads. I meant 800 gallons per hour per power head, not 8000.

So 3200 total? About 17x? Seems a bit light. I’m at 25x and think it might be a little low.

Just seems like maybe nothing is really completely off but everything could use a nudge. Alkalinity, temp, calcium, flow, lights .... just small tweaks.

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats amazing to hear guys. Lighting and flow were kinda my suspicions. This morning I moved my neros away from the coral preparing to potentially increase their flow. I think they may have been too close to the coral, which is why i had them on such a low setting. During all of this I also realised one of my neros is broken, it wont increase in intensity. That means I only had 2400 gph flow all this time. Ill slowly start increasing them over the next couple of weeks. If I have 3 working I think their max speed is around 2000 gph, which is still too low if given the 50 - 75% turnover. If in a couple of weeks once flow is amped up would it be smart to look at getting a replacement powerhead or two? I am considering moving away from the nero 5 as they cant be angled underwater and dont have much customisability. Maybe an Mp40 or one of the Neptune ones would be better? In terms of lighting, it is currently set to its max, apart from white, red and green spectrums, as I have heard they are bad. This makes increasing lighting a little hard. Would getting 2 or 3 more powerful leds be best or t5's / halides?

Do you guys think that feeding and stablilty could be another culprit. I am doing 50% water changes weekly, which someone mentioned might be too much. It was a habit I build years ago and haven't really thought about until now. I am currently feeding the coral once a week / fornite and fish 3 times a day.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quite sure I fully understood that. I am dosing 4 ml of bio enhance thru a doser spread out 4 times in a day. I have a protein skimmer running at all times, day and night.
I don’t know why the rest of my post got cut off??? My guess as to why Bio E is asking for consumers to use a Skimmer is because of unused, excess Bio E not being taken in by the corals. So if you’re dosing too much because you’re corals don’t like it or need it then the extra can be taken up by the skimmer. The obvious next question is, is your skimmer pulling out a consistent amount of stuff? If not you may be od ing your corals on this stuff. I also was wondering about your Bicolor Angel. Could it be the entire problem? Believe me, I would love to have one. But they’re nippers!

OP
OP
S

Sharp

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to alk and calcium. Would moving to making my own saltwater be better than using NSW which in my area has a low alk and calcium levels. - I already have a RODI filter and salt at home, so that is not an issue for me.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back