AquaCave
Due to acquisition of two Marineland 125-gallon tanks, my build plan has changed significantly.
Current plan is to have a 125-reef with a 125-sump with the main chamber for a macroalgae display.
Screenshot of 3D-model of current plan (2021-10-04 16:06):
1633381998455.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QT Update 2021-11-23:
1637708990704.png

Stand painted 2021-11-13 (now in my dining room 2021-11-20):
1637101517926.png

Living room FOWLR is being transferred to the basement:
1637101589123.png

Now for 90-Display/75-sump FOWLR for my basement fish room:
Last Update as of 2021-03-17 10:38
Floor drilled for plumbing down to basement "fish room" (2021-03-16 20:30):
20210317_075944_E.jpg

Current FOWLR and in-progress setup photo from this morning (2021-03-10):
1615389109043.png

Backdrop outdoor posters received for mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon reef (2021-03-08):
1615302006600.png

Current Fish Stocking List as of 2021-03-11 17:42
Current planned fish list:
90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
2X Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
2X Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2X Sharknose Gobies (Elcatinus evelynae)
1X Rainsford's Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi)
1X Orangespotted Shrimp Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata)
1X Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)
1X Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoerus melanurus)
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)

75-gallon mangrove lagoon:
1X Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [already in FOWLR]
1X Rectangle Triggerfish (Rhinecanthus rectangulus) [already in FOWLR]
1X Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) [already in FOWLR]
1X One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

~40-gallon Sump Refugium Section:
2X Janss' Pipefish (Doryrhamphus janssi)
2X Spotted Mandarinfish (Synchiropus picturatus)

Planned layout (shorter stand will be standard rather than custom-built):
90-Reef_02-01.png

1607367517683.png

75-gallon mangrove lagoon and 90-gallon display are both drilled for Modular Marine 1200gph overflows (awaiting setup and installation). (2021-01-21)
20210119_202617.jpg

Stand Frame finished and awaiting skin, trim, and countertop (2021-01-04):
90G_Stand_02.jpg
UPDATES as of 2020-12-07 13:00
Modular Marine 1200GPH overflows shipping soon, fish list being revised and researched, materials for stand are in my shop waiting for fabrication, most equipment is sourced and on-hand for progress over holiday break

ORIGINAL POST
After being introduced to keeping a marine aquarium with the acquisition of a 75-gallon FOWLR from a co-worker as detailed in my post in the Meet & Greet forum, I am just starting the planning phase of building a 90-gallon peaceful reef tank.
Since I am new, I am planning to start with more hardy fishes, corals, and invertebrates. Research is one thing I enjoy doing, so I will be careful and patient in the planning phase to reduce likelihood of wasted expense and failures when I am starting out.

I already have the tank (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 25 inches deep) and stand with an open base design that should allow for a sump. There are no holes drilled in the aquarium for plumbing, so I will probably need overflow over the top, unless drilling through the glass is a consideration I take. A sump with a refugium is very likely to be included (30 to 55 gallons, not sure how to size the sump? ...is bigger better?).
80-lbs of dry rock, 40-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Fiji Pink, and 20-lbs of Caribsea Arag-alive Special Grade are on order so I can get rockscape and substrate ready to begin cycling in the next month or two. I am in no rush, but I would like to have the materials on hand when I am ready to start this tank, especially if there is any pre-setup processing I need to do.

This is my initial fish list based on preliminary research, and recommendations for additions, subtractions, or changes are appreciated.
Listed in approximate order of preference:
2 of Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 of Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum) [I already have this ~4-inch fish that will be transferred over from my 75-gallon]
1 of Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus) or 1 of Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
1 of Foxface Lo (Siganus vulpinus) or 1 of Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi) or 1 of One Spot Foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)
1-2 of Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia)
2-3 of Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
2-3 of Neon Goby (Elcatinus oceanops)
2-4 of Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma)
2 of Blue/Green Black-axil Chromis (Chromis sp.) or 2 of Yellowtail Damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema) or 2 of Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Chrysiptera cf. springeri)

Some items on this list are probably not subject to change. My favorite fish is the Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish, especially paired symbiotically with Rose Bubble-Tip Anemones. These two fish along with RBTA are surely on my list.
The Purple Tang came with the 75-gallon tank I got and is one of my most favorite fish, so I would like him to be in the 90-gallon reef (at least until he may grow too large?).
Fish from the genus Siganus I find particularly striking and interesting, so one will likely be included.
The Engineer Goby is one of my favorites also for its coloration and resemblance to an eel. I am not sure if it is better to include two or only one.
The Chalk Bass is my favorite small fish and would like to include more than one.
The other fish are just considerations for different colors or interests if they can be added without overcrowding the tank or overloading the biosystem.
I really like eels, and my 75-gallon aquarium came with a ~11-inch Snowflake Eel, but it seems they are not good to add to a 90-gallon reef. Since I also have triggerfish that are not compatible with the reef, I will probably leave the 75-gallon as a FOWLR in addition to the 90-gallon reef aquarium.

Does this seem way too heavy a bio-load for a 90-gallon tank (probably with a 30-to-55-gallon sump)? Should I remove fish or can I add fish (either more quantity or more types) to the list? What sequence should I add the fish to best aid success?

I am not really sure which corals to include, so I am open to suggestions. I want hardy beginner corals at the start and will see where I head from here in the future.
My initial research has me considering the following, though much more research and recommendations are needed before adding any:
Mushroom Anemones, branching Sinularia, Porites, Leather, Acropora (maybe too difficult?), Star Polyps, Euphyllia (especially ancora)
Corals are one category where I am very open to recommendations.

Other invertebrates, such as hermit crabs, snails, shrimp, starfish, urchins, conchs will be included for clean-up, though I am also very open to suggestions in this area and will refine considerations as I make a more specific plan for the fishes and corals that are to be included.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, especially initial reactions to my considerations. I know this is broad right now, but I will get more specific in considerations and schedule as I progress in my research. I have been reading a lot about reefing and marine aquariums online and in books and will continue to do so in conjunction with recommendations on R2R for a practical education towards a successful reef.

Current Aquascape awaiting cementing (2020-12-07):
1607367614903.png

Cemented Aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150617.jpg

33-gallon Brute can ready for pre-cycling rock, sand, and aquascape (2021-01-23):
20210123_150636.jpg

Aquascape start-cycle in progress (2021-01-28):
1612277606848.png

Kind Regards,
Soren

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to start keeping a list of who to tag/spam, but it would be easy to miss someone.

On another note, I have a question and am looking for opinions:
I would like a foxface in my 90-gallon reef. I am very partial to the look of the Fiji bicolor foxface, but they are recommended for tanks bigger than a 90-gallon and I have heard some say that foxfaces grow fat and bulky and need the minimum recommended. I also like the look of the one-spot foxface which should be smaller and is recommended possible in my tank size. I think I like the foxface lo better than the one-spot, but still not sure and same size issue as the bicolor...
Should I just plan on a one-spot foxface?

This may affect some other fish choices, since I may end up with a lot of yellow with the one-spot (I must not have quite the same taste in color as @Erin O :) ).

90-gallon reef:
1X Fiji Bicolor Foxface (Siganus uspi)
3X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)

Maybe 1X Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis) [already in FOWLR]
1X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) [maybe in 90 reef?]
Maybe 1X Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia)
Maybe 1X Butterflyfish (such as Chaetodon lunula)
Maybe 1X Squirrelfish (such as Sargocentron diadema)

Sump Refugium:
Possible pipefish and/or spotted mandarins

The "Maybes" are likely to be taken off the list, since this may be too much bioload for this system (even if it is about 160 gallons total water volume).

Any general advice on this stocking list? Note that there will be corals of mixed types in the 90 reef, no corals or only a few leathers in the mangrove lagoon, and macro algae in the refugium including ulva for a tang/foxface food source.

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I like the coral or the meleagris more
you mean the coral perfectly in focus behind the blurred mel? :rolleyes:
I need to pop for a phone upgrade or a real camera.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to start keeping a list of who to tag/spam, but it would be easy to miss someone.

I would like a foxface in my 90-gallon reef. I am very partial to the look of the Fiji bicolor foxface, but they are recommended for tanks bigger than a 90-gallon and I have heard some say that foxfaces grow fat and bulky and need the minimum recommended. I also like the look of the one-spot foxface which should be smaller and is recommended possible in my tank size. I think I like the foxface lo better than the one-spot, but still not sure and same size issue as the bicolor...

This may affect some other fish choices, since I may end up with a lot of yellow with the one-spot (I must not have quite the same taste in color as @Erin O :) ).

90-gallon reef:
1X Foxface (see above)
3-5X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2-3X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)

1-2X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) [maybe in 90 reef?]

Sump Refugium:

The "Maybes" are likely to be taken off the list, since this may be too much bioload for this system (even if it is about 160 gallons total water volume).

Any general advice on this stocking list? Note that there will be corals of mixed types in the 90 reef, no corals or only a few leathers in the mangrove lagoon, and macro algae in the refugium including ulva for a tang/foxface food source.
my foxface lo and my now rehomed lamark grew very fast. faster than any of the other fish I have.
started out probably 1 1/2". 2+ years and it's 4 1/2"-5".

Crabby48

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

90-gallon reef:
1X Foxface (see above)
3-5X Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus cyanosoma) or Seal's Cardinalfish (Ostorhincus sealei)
2-3X Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)

1-2X Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) [maybe in 90 reef?]

Sump Refugium:

Someone can help you more with your fish list but get tangs and fox face small and give them time to grow. Many people keep fox face in 75 gallon tanks.

Not sure how the eel and engineer gobies will be together but 2 engineers and a eel maybe a bit much. That is only me speculating

you mean the coral perfectly in focus behind the blurred mel? :rolleyes:
I need to pop for a phone upgrade or a real camera.
No the gorg but yes that one is nice also

sp1187

bird flu antidote
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone can help you more with your fish list but get tangs and fox face small and give them time to grow. Many people keep fox face in 75 gallon tanks.

Not sure how the eel and engineer gobies will be together but 2 engineers and a eel maybe a bit much. That is only me speculating

No the gorg but yes that one is nice also
my new favorite gorg. :cool:

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for recommendations, @Crabby48 .
I plan to get the Tomini tang and foxface about as moderately small as I can get them (2-3 inches) so I can have the time and enjoyment of watching them grow.

Your point on the eel and engineer gobies is one I have questioned for a while. I already have the eel in my 75 FOWLR, so I would probably rather keep him than try to rehome him. I really like engineer gobies, but I will probably only get one if any and I am still not sure if I want it in the 90 Reef or the mangrove lagoon. The eel will definitely be in the mangrove lagoon. I have read that both may be a risk for consuming small fishes, such as neon/sharknose gobies, but I have also read that this risk is fairly minimal. This does not affect the mangrove lagoon, since it will likely be only fish too large to consume, but it may be a risk if I put the engineer goby in the 90 Reef. I've also read that engineer gobies can be a pain in a reef when they constantly bury corals toward the bottom of the rocks.

The other consideration I have with all of this is that I may be planning too much bioload, so it is typically probably better for me to limit the fish on the list than to dream of everything. With this consideration, eels and engineer gobies are fairly high bioload from what I read, so it may be best to have only one or the other.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update shot on the location for the setup as it sits in-progress:
Current 75-FOWLR contents will eventually be transferred over (right) to the new 75-mangrove lagoon tank (still in basement) and black stand removed. This 75-FOWLR tank will end up being the sump in the new setup with the 90-reef taking the same place as current 75-FOWLR (albeit higher due to taller stand).
...and, yes, there is still construction clutter around (mostly cropped out-of-frame), and the fish-room-closet door is still in process, and the window will be shining only on the mangroves (mainly) in the final setup so I am not worried yet about excessive algae growth...
1615387674638.png

...and a 75-FOWLR FTS from this morning (please ignore the glare and the oversaturated colors due to morning lighting) (yeah, that's me in the middle reflection, from mid-torso down to knees ;) ):
1615387929194.png

...and a detail shot of the toadstool leather and Barry the eel who was out swimming about this morning in case there were some food bits left after the morning feed:
1615388413616.png

...I really need more time to work on photography skills, especially color saturation and focus through glass and water... no, the rocks are not covered in a thick mat of purple coralline (it is really just barely starting to grow in very tiny patches), that is just improper camera settings over-saturating the morning blue light with a bit of red sunrise effect... and, no, the sand is not coated in anything purple, as far as it truly appears to my eyes...

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current 75-FOWLR contents will eventually be transferred over (right) to the new 75-mangrove lagoon tank (still in basement) and black stand removed. This 75-FOWLR tank will end up being the sump in the new setup with the 90-reef taking the same place as current 75-FOWLR (albeit higher due to taller stand).
...and, yes, there is still construction clutter around (mostly cropped out-of-frame), and the fish-room-closet door is still in process, and the window will be shining only on the mangroves (mainly) in the final setup so I am not worried yet about excessive algae growth...
View attachment 2071220

...and a 75-FOWLR FTS from this morning (please ignore the glare and the oversaturated colors due to morning lighting) (yeah, that's me in the middle reflection, from mid-torso down to knees ;) ):
View attachment 2071226

...and a detail shot of the toadstool leather and Barry the eel who was out swimming about this morning in case there were some food bits left after the morning feed:
View attachment 2071235

...I really need more time to work on photography skills, especially color saturation and focus through glass and water... no, the rocks are not covered in a thick mat of purple coralline (it is really just barely starting to grow in very tiny patches), that is just improper camera settings over-saturating the morning blue light with a bit of red sunrise effect... and, no, the sand is not coated in anything purple, as far as it truly appears to my eyes...
Orphek lens kit from amazon! I use everything stacked except for the macro lens. Fixed my color issues in photos.

danieyella

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2071220

View attachment 2071226

View attachment 2071235

Also, looking good! I really can't wait to see this come to life.

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek lens kit from amazon! I use everything stacked except for the macro lens. Fixed my color issues in photos.
Yes! I have looked into these color filters a bit before and plan to research more on photography when I have more time and need. (...like when my remodeling is further progressed and my reef setup is actually set up!)

Crabby48

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio load might be on the high side is my guess.
Najer has an engineer goby and might be able to answer some questions. I would like an eel or engineer goby for my new build but undecided so far what I’ll do.
Sounds like you have a good plan and know there maybe some details to work out. Excited to watch tanks progress

danieyella

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I have looked into these color filters a bit before and plan to research more on photography when I have more time and need. (...like when my remodeling is further progressed and my reef setup is actually set up!)
Yeah I don't own a real camera, my phone picks up even the tiniest shred of blue light and seriously saturates my photos. But buying a real camera I won't use for anything else (or use well) seems like a waste....

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't own a real camera, my phone picks up even the tiniest shred of blue light and seriously saturates my photos. But buying a real camera I won't use for anything else (or use well) seems like a waste....
I still have a flip-style dumb-phone by choice, so I use a Pentax DSLR camera for photography and a Samsung Tab A for quick shots.
I have not used my camera enough to justify the purchase yet, but I have enough interest in nature landscape photography and other things including the reef/build progress to justify the purchase some day...

Also if you use a phone to take pictures there is an app aquarium cam that works good. I think it cost $3 but worth it
I might have to check this out for my tablet. (See earlier response in this post for my photography equipment information)

OP
OP
Soren

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, @Lost in the Sauce ! Progress will likely be slow, but at least somewhat steady...
I've been enjoying your build as well, though you have quite a jump in progress past mine! In some ways it probably helps to acquire an already-established reef, though I am sure it presents unique challenges as well.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tank Stop
Back