★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

AquaCave

tenurepro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I just say that to mess with my buddies who like LPS. There's plenty of nice non-corals out there.

Nice solid acros that are simple one or two colors can really shine -- when both of those color are highly florescent, they outcolor the fanciest of Acros.

Here's a good example of what you're talking about, this is one of my favorite multi-tone acros; Z's Paradise
20171018-DSC02005_zpsc3qmunrr.jpg

Heres one of my favorite simple acros; Heaven and Hell mili
newacropora2052.jpg~original

No doubt Z's paradise has more colors going on... But this two tone milli pops from head to toe. That's the difference between, say, a green slimer (that pops) versus a standard greed dud that doesn't pop.

But in the end, all that matters is if you truly love your lobo, it will love you back

8-9.jpg
If you tell a lobo you love it in the reef, do you make a sound ?

tenurepro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP the Anthias DIED!!!

The one that look pale as was not part of the 3some pack.

He was already ill looking before I started Treatment.

Really, REALLY hoping the treatment save the Last Three.

If one more dies, I have other API MEDS that I can try as a last resort, but don't want to mix Meds at this point.

Yikes Wally - those anthias are proving to be troublesome

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Angel has Notch in Tail (Wasn't there Before) Started Antibiotic (Skipping Copper Safe for now)

This is why I want to get all my DT Fish Done with. QT's put away to start enjoying Frags and stuff.

41732070445_b966b10bd2_c.jpg

Could just be HE/SHE got and NIP from SHE/HE. Not sure yet which is which.

They get along, but maybe they got into an argument of some sort.

However if a cut/bite the Antibiotics will help. Doubt it's Baterial Fin/Tail Rot since it happened so quickly.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angels probably feel a little tight in that smaller QT, so they probably got aggressive. There's a HIGH chance these two were sold as a "pair" but had never seen one another before. Which means hostility will happen. Get a tank divider, or make one.. That will let them express their aggression without actually fighting, and one will still come out "victorious" without any damage being done.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angels probably feel a little tight in that smaller QT, so they probably got aggressive. There's a HIGH chance these two were sold as a "pair" but had never seen one another before. Which means hostility will happen. Get a tank divider, or make one.. That will let them express their aggression without actually fighting, and one will still come out "victorious" without any damage being done.

Good idea. I was thinking a glass plane first, but that will mess up flow filtration.
Will use some egg crate.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rakie,

I would have never thought of doing that. But makes sense.

I got a full Sheet of Black Crate for Rack since this was suppose to be a Frag Tank.

28758887478_db3577cd70_c.jpg

Egg Grate Pattern in in direction of Return Pump to Frag Tank Filter Output.
So everything is just as good.

Food will also move around between both sides.

So this NIP/bite. I wonder how fast fish heal. Never had a fish with bites before.

No harm with the Antibiotic, will help things heal faster, and no infection too!!.

They will be separate for the Full QT and Join back together in the Larger DT.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy who runs Cherry Fish (Macna speaker about fish QT and health) actually talked about this a lot. He had two rare angels (butterflies maybe...) come in at the exact same size. Immediately you know that's gonna be trouble. He had them separated by egg crate for maybe 3 months, and without any physical contact they worked out who was the dominant male and who wasn't. When he removed the egg crate they got on just fine.

As for the nip, fish heal remarkably quickly.. In a week that'll probably be 50-75% healed, depending if there was flesh or JUST the tail fin. Just make sure to feed them well, give them some things like Selcon / SELCO Boost so they get some vitamins in their food, and fat content. He'll be fine.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,

I was going to video tape the pair to show something.

During feeding time, they would swim like SYCHRO Swimmers, in perfect unison chasing the same morcel.

I thought that was what pairs do since IN LOVE.

But I guess that was AGGRESSIVE COMPETITION.

Interesting. Fascinating!!

I may pull the divider later and film that.

Meanwhile....back at Wana QT

40824773220_545650ded1_z.jpg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACTUALLY.....Rakie, the Divider is GREAT!!!

I just fed them, and it's more organized. Peaceful collection not a mad panic.

I can see why this technique is effective for acclimatizing a stranger pair. No need for a box, or a side by side QT. (And they can smell each other...I guess)

Also saves on medicating BOTH, managing two QTs (in this case since they came together)

Cool. Many thanks.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOW THIS IS (Fish) FIGHTING ( LARGE Blue Green Chromis in my Kitchen Tank) New Territory TURF WAR (Literally)

If the Wanatabei Angel's tail bite was a fight, I didn't see it.

Funny thing, is I found them together on one side. I fixed up the Divider, to be more secure.

This is ONE FIGHT (in my other 90 Gallon Tank)....just started today (Some serious pecking order and side swiping going on in this short Clip)

Why the fighting started...... is this.....
Over a year ago I got 7 Tiny Blue Green Chromis Fish to start a School of them. I love schooling fish, that why I hope to have the Carryberryi Anthias school.

One by one the Chromis killed or starved each other off. I was only left with 3 when things finally settled down (and got along fairly well, except at feeding time).

They got bigger and Bigger, and now are ALL QUITE LARGE.

Each had their own Cave and never really schooled much (maybe once a day in the current, after a good meal).

Today I did some Long Overdue Maintenance Pruning on my Tank (Large Clumps of TURF ALAGE)

That removal Exposed their Cubby holes......

And thus the Fighting Started Again....

The fighting is ON & OFF, Continously, and I'm throwing in food every time I pass by to calm things down.

I hope they figure this out and things settle down. (Caves are still there, just TURF WALL MISSING ON ONE SIDE)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tank is WAKING UP (Algae on Glass, and PUMPS) No panic this time

With the Full Lighting on for a few Days, the Algae is starting to show up.

At this point, only in High Flow Abrasive areas like the pump Grills.

42623832142_8dde75b1d8.jpg

A little bit of Brown on some bottom rocks. (which to me appears like some Dead Flow spots).
So I turned up the Maxspect Gyre XF150 from 25% to 80% and that has improved flow everywhere.

This algae on pumps isn't GHA/Byropisis type. More of the same kind of Macro Algae that grows in my Algae Scrubber.

I do have some snails and two Emerald Crab, which now seem to be more busy picking a rocks.

I will clean the pump, but in general have no concern.

Yes, I do have past fears still in the back of my mind.

This happened to my previous Tank when I over did Coral Feeding with Additives that included AMINOS.

42623834812_ab0acb9013_z.jpg

No additives for this Tank except New Salt Waters, Calcium and Alk.

ON A SIDE TOPIC (Kitchen Tank):

All my Aptasia is (visibly gone). Incredible. Since about a month ago, it was literally infested with Aptasia everywhere.

Between the Peppermint Shrimps that I threw in a few weeks ago. The new Copperband Butterfly, and a few Shots of Aptasia-X (for the big remaining few). I can't see any aptasia anywhere. Poor Copperband, he is searching everywhere. I assume he is getting all the little hidden ones.
GOOD RIDDANCE!!

Last edited:

tenurepro

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tank is WAKING UP (Algae on Glass, and PUMPS) No panic this time

With the Full Lighting on for a few Days, the Algae is starting to show up.

At this point, only in High Flow Abrasive areas like the pump Grills.

42623832142_8dde75b1d8.jpg

A little bit of Brown on some bottom rocks. (which to me appears like some Dead Flow spots).
So I turned up the Maxspect Gyre XF150 from 25% to 80% and that has improved flow everywhere.

This algae on pumps isn't GHA/Byropisis type. More of the same kind of Macro Algae that grows in my Algae Scrubber.

I do have some snails and two Emerald Crab, which now seem to be more busy picking a rocks.

I will clean the pump, but in general have no concern.

Yes, I do have past fears still in the back of my mind.

This happened to my previous Tank when I over did Coral Feeding with Additives that included AMINOS.

42623834812_ab0acb9013_z.jpg

No additives for this Tank except New Salt Waters, Calcium and Alk.

ON A SIDE TOPIC (Kitchen Tank):

All my Aptasia is (visibly gone). Incredible. Since about a month ago, it was literally infested with Aptasia everywhere.

Between the Peppermint Shrimps that I threw in a few weeks ago. The new Copperband Butterfly, and a few Shots of Aptasia-X (for the big remaining few). I can't see any aptasia anywhere. Poor Copperband, he is searching everywhere. I assume he is getting all the little hidden ones.
GOOD RIDDANCE!!

Wouldn’t be a bad idea to add a few more snails. I really like the black footed snails - trochus, they spawn and reproduce readily in my tank, so by them once and that is it.

I also really like my two blue tuxedo urchins. They don’t get too big, don’t have long spines, and they don’t chew wires like other urchins - google them!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you Tenurepro.

Right now I don't want to add anything to NEW FRESH CLEAN. A drop Cyano, or spores from whatever water drop (on snails) could put me guessing what caused things.

The few snails, hermits I have, and 2 Very Hungry Emerald crabs are a moderate CUC for now.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK CIRCULATION (Pump Layout/Placement and Programming)

So I tuned up the Circulation by cleaning and placing pump (and watch flow for BEST RANDOM Mix, and No-Dead Spot Layout)

42631298662_cb4d86ebb7_c.jpg

Same pumps I had on my 65 Gallon, but I could never run the GYRE at 100%.
Highest I could run was about 65% since anything higher was TOO ROUGH ON FISH. (I would tune down flow at night even at 65%).

With this 110G and better rock layout, I can push all pumps to 100%. Even overnight during Fish Sleep Time. (Plenty Rock Caves help too)

This is the Flow I push when all running at Max.

42631297102_a29a6ec173.jpg

I threw some flake in and observed them floating.

No Pinponit Laminar Flows (except the one Gyre pointing up to the surface, which breaks up the flow [by Gravity] ** RAKIE TIP AGAIN **).

Yet, there is STRONG WIDE FLOW. And the dust on the bottom of tank before setting this up has now blown away, and doesn't settle (except in a few spots at rock edges)

Overall, a big improvement from old 65 Gallon Setup, with the same pumps.

I notice fish have to work to stand still (in the OPEN), compared to Before Tune-Up, where they would just hover Effortlessly.

SPS will be happy with this.

Last edited:
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back