Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned a great deal from this site to say the least about both care and the truely amazing number of varieties out there.

I have begun to recieve donations from collectors to help my student's research projects on zoas out and I am on my way to the C-sea frag swap on the 25th

What has become plain already is that differing varieties need differing conditions. (no surprise at all) however I began to wonder this morning looking at the vast amounts of reading I have not come across specific varieties that have been identified as ones to avoid for a specific reason or other

In particular, I am concerned about getting ones who have such specialized needs as to fail with little warning etc

Which varieties may not be good canidates for the average keeper or which ones need out of the normal reef conditions or help (special food sources) very intense light or very dim lighting??

thanks in advance
David

CLICK TO VIEW

msman825

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not avoid any. your doing research right. I just would not buy any high dollar ones. If you have good lighting,water, flow your set. throw them in and leave them be. How long have you had the zoo tank setup, any rock in it.

msman825

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and I dont know nothing about your setup. But i would be researching on water parameters for keep zoos than worried about the ones to avoid. have everything in check and stable first, and if they were donated dip them for sure

Avast
OP
OP
B

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are tied to a mature refu and have fine water parameters. I just wanted to make sure that there are not any varieties that seem to be very difficult to keep or at least have a bad reputation. I have no plans to spend a bunch on rare/expensive varieties.

thanks for your in-put

OP
OP
B

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, There is just so much to learn about reef keeping. I think that everyday my students and I find something new. It is exciting, but sometimes frustrating.
It never fails that as soon as we get a little cocky about what we are doing and our ability to keep creatures that something comes crashing down on us. (thankfully, not like newbie crashes; just little things)

With the importance of the up coming research project, I wanted to make sure that I have turned over as many rocks as I can. The last thing we can afford (or would ever want) is an avoidable error.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back