Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of my zoas have not been fully opening up the last week or so. so i figured i had spiders and bugs and the like. well i FW dipped al i could get out and did not find any critters other than an occasional pod. i did notice they was white spots on some. so i guess i got pox.
so my logic would be to see what is being done different now than when everything was growing like weeds two weeks ago.
first i read the entire thread about pox on RC. i physically do not have the time or energy to try every thing that was mentioned. but one thing did kind of hit home. the topic of exporting too much nutrients kept recurring. and possibly the zoas are stressing because of a lack of needed nutrients because of cheato and overskimming and not enough sufficient water changes to re-supply said nutrients.
1) okay here is what i am going to try first. within the last couple weeks or so i added a couple big clumps of cheato to my sump and it is lit 24\7. cut down the lighting to it so it is on opposite time as my main lights.
2)a couple weeks ago i adjusted my skimmer to start skimming wet. i am now emptying the cup almost every day or two. i adjusted the skimmer down some to try to start skimming alittle drier.
3) going to do about a 30-40% water change tonight and maybe another 30-40% friday night.
4)i also am going to cut my lighting back a couple hours a day,( i am running pc's).
5) i am going to add a couple small power heads for a bit more flow.( i currently have 2 seio 620's and the mag 9 return from the sump).

any other suggestions i could try along these lines? i read about some adding a little extra suppliments like iodide, strotium etc.. presently i only add a little purple up every couple days.
i also read about adding b-12. anyone else do this?

please help me out here

VERY ANGRY GARY

Top Shelf Aquatics

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would stop adding the purple up, do a large water change and go from there. more flow might be beneficial, but the only sure way i have found is water changes. my best successes have come from leaving the colonies be and not messing with them anymore than i have to.

do you have any test kits? i would test alkalinity and see where that is,

personally i wouldn't mess with the lighting schedule, as it may stress things even more.

OP
OP
A

angry gary

GRUFF BUT LOVABLE REEFER
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am still waiting this out doijng what i mentioned above.. it was suggested to me to try 1 hour air drying them each day for a week. so i am giving that a shot with half of the infected frags. got nothing else to lose at this point.

AG

CLICK TO VIEW

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back