Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thanks for an informative site here. I have purchased my first Zoa yesterday. I was hoping to get home tonight and sanp a picture for ID since I didn't see at ZoaId. But it has yet to open up in my tank. Parms aren't best but good PH 8.2 Am 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate trace amounts. salinity is a little higher then I want, but am working on getting that down. Did a 40% water change tonight. Any ideas what else could be keeping it closed. My tank temp droped a bit for the first time today but wouldn't think any new pieces would be bothered by that. It went from normal high of 81 to 78 with the cold front.

OP
OP
C

chantweaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got from a LFS it was open when I got it. It was open when it was in the bag and I was aclamating it. If not open tomorrow I will move higher on rock formation.

CIMG0495.jpg

He is on the frag disc near the bottom of the tank. Good flow right there..humm maybe to much flow?

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has your tank been running?
from the looks i would say not too long,

tell us more about your system, skimmer?
what type of return pump do you have?
is that the only flow?

zoas can take a lot of flow,

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

chantweaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 29 gallon Bio Cube nano tank. The tank has been running for almost a month now. The tank has done a complete cycle. All paramaters spiked and have dropped. I am running a fuge in the back with about 5 pounds of rock in the back. The pump is right with at 300 gph. Lots of life with in the tank. I probably jumped the gun a little on frag purchase. Well crap. Thought it could handle it since I had a little one pod small Zoad poping up on one of the rocks.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is a 29 gallon Bio Cube nano tank. The tank has been running for almost a month now. The tank has done a complete cycle. All paramaters spiked and have dropped. I am running a fuge in the back with about 5 pounds of rock in the back. The pump is right with at 300 gph. Lots of life with in the tank. I probably jumped the gun a little on frag purchase. Well crap. Thought it could handle it since I had a little one pod small Zoad poping up on one of the rocks.

can you take a closer shot of it... it might just settling down.. if the polyps look healthy when closed, you have a good chance they'll still open up... if the polyps are forming a whitish film, they're on their way out...

good luck... waiting for a closer pics..

Thanks..

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's to much flow either,by the looks of it you have a diatom bloom and that can cause zoas not to open I have delt with that over the past year. Usually it is caused by an higher reading of silicates, this diatoms were or would grow over my zoas and the sand on the bottom of the tank. I would blow it off every day just to have it return hours later. What is your Phos reading? Also if you have a LFS around you see if they will test for silicates. Other then that the slight temp drop wouldn't cause it as it is still in range, they were just purchased aslo I have bought zoa frags and have had them not open for a week or more before the finally opened.....Give us some of your parameter readings also this will help pinpoint a problem if there is one with the water before you go and move them around which will not help them to open.....Just some ideas and needs to help you out......

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

chantweaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Azurel that is what I needed to hear "That some Zoa don't open up for a week or so. Everything else I have put in there has done just fine. I will get new readings tonight as I am at work now. As far as flow goes yeah I need more flow for the whole tank. I am on a list to receive the new Hydor K power head simular to the Nano Stream by Tunaze but half the price and a little less GPH but less Watts too. Close up shots take me awhile do to me wanting to use my SLR that is not digital for macro shots. I will see what I can do with wifes PHD camera.

Thanks for all the information. Adspiring Zoa keeper.

OP
OP
C

chantweaver

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok gt an ok **** with my wifes cheapie digital.
CIMG0498.jpg
They started to open a very little. each one at different times tonight so things looking up. I bought new testers and the new numbers look like a little to much Am in the water.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back