Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent sized frag of bam bam oranges. I've had these for 3+ years, they were my first zoas and i grew them from 3 polyps to about 30 i currently have. I have fragged them a couple times as well for trades. Recently, a couple polyps closed up, turned yellow, and melted away. So i removed the colony and using a razor blade removed the other 2 polyps i could see that were turning yellow, severing them from the colony as far into good flesh as i could tell. I then dipped it in a FW w/ TMPCC dip for about 7 min. They opened fine the next day and i did not see any declining polyps until yesterday, there are about 5 turning yellow right now. I've had this problem before, about 2.5 years ago to another type of zoa and it completely melted away. I could not save it, but that frag was new. This one has been in my tank for awhile.

That said, has anyone ever beat this when it starts? Anybody know what causes it or what it actually is? Why would it just begin on a 3+ old colony?

You can see 2 of the polyps closed on the left, and 2 at the bottom. These will be completely gone when i get home tonight.

000_0037.jpg

All the rest of my zoos are fine this is only occuring in this colony. All zoos get a FW w/ iodine or TMPCC for 7-10 min prior to going into the tank.

Params

temp 80.1
pH 8.3
SG 35ppt
alk 8.3dKH
calcium 460ppm
ammonia 0ppm
nitrates 0ppm
nitrites 0ppm

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that and still have polyps dissolving. I'm gonna do another cut/dip session tonight and try fragging some good polyps out of the middle of it. Just sucks cuz these grow incredibly slow! In fact they grow so slow that corraline algae grows over the connecting tissue!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen myself a few times and lost all the frags....I think it might be an internal bacterial infection. The only way to fix that would be some how get med into the polyp like through their uptake of water.....A few of the larger palys that I have had that did this I cut open and a black slime came out of them that was really foul smelling.....Not sure if it was a by product of the infection or not....Just my experience.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I don't think i want to be doing any surgery on these. lol I'll keep up with my dips and cutting and maybe i'll get ahead of it eventually. If there are enough polyps. I'm going to add a drop of iodine to the good flesh after i make cuts too, donno if that will help but maybe it will kill whatever is traveling thru these zoos.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back