Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some questions on why my playboy bunny zoas are open like this and the color isn’t the greatest. I have a red fire shrimp that loves to eat the food out of my zoas that I constantly have to push away. I do a weekly water change and my salt, alk, cal and mag are at a constant. All my other zoas seem to be okay. I have a mixed reed with acros, hammers, and Gonis. All doing really well and are showing signs of growth. If you think it’s the shrimp messing with them what would be a good replacement for him?

4C990AEC-2FB3-4BC5-8327-9D22CA35BB55.jpeg 0D11ED81-B276-44C3-9686-579EA6E11348.jpeg

CLICK TO VIEW

nkyreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are kind of all over the board in what they can take. I think most like low flow and higher nutrients. I've kept them in both high and low light. If your shrimp was bothering them I would think it'd both the others as well. You could try a different location to see if they perk up.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
GoedReedfing

GoedReedfing

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some questions on why my playboy bunny zoas are open like this and the color isn’t the greatest. I have a red fire shrimp that loves to eat the food out of my zoas that I constantly have to push away. I do a weekly water change and my salt, alk, cal and mag are at a constant. All my other zoas seem to be okay. I have a mixed reed with acros, hammers, and Gonis. All doing really well and are showing signs of growth. If you think it’s the shrimp messing with them what would be a good replacement for him?

View attachment 3042464 View attachment 3042465

Attachments

• 8C4E352B-C7A3-4CEB-A0B6-CD2BB50E839D.jpeg
    8C4E352B-C7A3-4CEB-A0B6-CD2BB50E839D.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 11

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I think there are a bunch of Zoas lumped in with that name. I have some and they look fairly different, and i've been trying for a long time to get them to color up more. They grow like crazy though.
Shrimps definitely will steal food. I personally, don't feed my corals often. I usually feed LPS occassionally with some extra frozen food, and I sometimes give some Zoas the frozen food "juice". But they do not have to be fed to have nice growth. Their color may improve, but that also has a lot to do with nutrient levels, as well as possibly trace elements to some degree.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 3042464 View attachment 3042465
Can be irritation from shrimp but mainly assure moderate flow which keeps sediment off of them. Another way to tell is too take a turkey baster and give them Gentle blasts. If you see dust come oof of them, that may be part of issue. Too much light or water flow, sudden change of parameters and even use of vodka or carbon dosing that reduces nitrate quickly and upsets them. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated.
Other issue would be fish like dwarf angels or rabbitfish annoying them

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cantusaurus

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be irritation from shrimp but mainly assure moderate flow which keeps sediment off of them. Another way to tell is too take a turkey baster and give them Gentle blasts. If you see dust come oof of them, that may be part of issue. Too much light or water flow, sudden change of parameters and even use of vodka or carbon dosing that reduces nitrate quickly and upsets them. Assure salinity and Phos has not become elevated.
Other issue would be fish like dwarf angels or rabbitfish annoying them
Totally agree. Medium flow is probably best for them, but yeah they definitely benefit from a pipette/basting every now and then to keep them clean.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back