Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a ywg for over a month then yesterday added a chestnut eyelash Blenny. The Blenny has became really territorial over the rocks and won’t let my goby come into the lower half of the tank. Is this a situation that can be fixed or does one have to be took back to the store. I’m still somewhat new to reef keeping

Nutramar Foods

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience fish that are territorial rarely change their behavior. If it’s that aggressive after only one day, chances are it won’t get better.

You could always try isolating the blenny in a breeding box for a while, but I don’t know if it will change anything.

Monitor them closely and rehome one of them if need be. I like to rehome the most aggressive one.

OP
OP
J

jkg1022

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience fish that are territorial rarely change their behavior. If it’s that aggressive after only one day, chances are it won’t get better.

You could always try isolating the blenny in a breeding box for a while, but I don’t know if it will change anything.

Monitor them closely and rehome one of them if need be. I like to rehome the most aggressive one.
Okay thank you. Could size play a factor? The goby is about a 1/3 of the size of the blenny. When I had my lfs order the blenny in a didn’t expect it come as big as it did

Nutramar Foods

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you. Could size play a factor? The goby is about a 1/3 of the size of the blenny. When I had my lfs order the blenny in a didn’t expect it come as big as it did
Fish are strange. It’s hard to know what sets them off sometimes. It often is because the other fish is seen as a competitor for food or space. Maybe because it is the same color, similar shape or same type of feeder (herbivore, carnivore).

I don’t think size plays a role in aggression itself, but it sure makes it harder on the bullied fish.

For example, my square tail tang bullies my tiny tailspot blenny that’s only a fraction of its size. They are a similar color and both algae eaters.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back