Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I recently came back from a multi week vacation and one of my tangs in my frag tank had some dorsal fin damage. I had a friend watch the fish and feed them while I was gone but they are not an aquarist. I wasn’t sure if it was just fin rot or if it was the start of HLLE. I did some water changes and made sure he was eating. He has healed but he’s not continuing to heal it seems. His dorsal din has definitely gotten better as it used to be right against his head and the webbing has healed. But once he reached this point he hasn’t gotten any better. He eats and grazes on algae all day and no other signs of stress. I’m just curious if he will continue to heal or if he’ll have a “Mohawk” for the rest of his life. If it strictly cosmetic I’m fine with that as I’ve had him for about 3 years now.

IMG_2945.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I recently came back from a multi week vacation and one of my tangs in my frag tank had some dorsal fin damage. I had a friend watch the fish and feed them while I was gone but they are not an aquarist. I wasn’t sure if it was just fin rot or if it was the start of HLLE. I did some water changes and made sure he was eating. He has healed but he’s not continuing to heal it seems. His dorsal din has definitely gotten better as it used to be right against his head and the webbing has healed. But once he reached this point he hasn’t gotten any better. He eats and grazes on algae all day and no other signs of stress. I’m just curious if he will continue to heal or if he’ll have a “Mohawk” for the rest of his life. If it strictly cosmetic I’m fine with that as I’ve had him for about 3 years now.

View attachment 3122101
HLLE does show as fin damage on yellow tangs, but the sudden onset of this seems more likely to be from some injury. Also, HLLE fin damage is more scalloped looking, with more rounded margins.
If it is damage, it can take many weeks to grow all the way back in.
Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal,
Jay. Will this fin recover?I thin it started out as fin rot.
TIA
View attachment 3142911
I don’t know for sure. It looks like it has already grown back some. Fins grow slower than people often expect them to (at least the spiny rays do).
This looks different than the HLLE fin erosion that rarely grows back.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rarely if ever do fins with this damage recover to full geometry and will likely show deformity permanently

World Wide Corals
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Vivid
Back