Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have had this yellow tang for a few years and moved him over to a newer tank setup a few months ago. Since then his dorsal fin has become worn down and I cant figure out why. I feed him mysis shrimp, green seaweed, and flakes so I dont think its his diet. It it possible my rockwork is too low and his fin is being worn down by rubbing against the rock? Also hes in the tank alone so there aren't any other fish doing it. Thank you for your help!

87A4F1A3-92EC-48C5-9DA8-8BC5EC59AAC6.png E5F56A01-C0A7-4EC1-A78D-6E63AA58424D.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fin rot is usually a sign of poor diet (which you stated you are feeding a variety which means this is probably not the case) or bad water quality that causes stress. How is your water looking like?
Fin rot due to bacterial issue and Not poor diet . Poor diet often contributes to HLLE

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey everyone, I have had this yellow tang for a few years and moved him over to a newer tank setup a few months ago. Since then his dorsal fin has become worn down and I cant figure out why. I feed him mysis shrimp, green seaweed, and flakes so I dont think its his diet. It it possible my rockwork is too low and his fin is being worn down by rubbing against the rock? Also hes in the tank alone so there aren't any other fish doing it. Thank you for your help!

View attachment 2748021 View attachment 2748022
Looks like a result of aggression. If the fish was Not purchased this way, it is likely a tankmate. Not fin rot as the edges are healed over. Damage like this will heal and regorw on its own but may have imperfection due to often, not fully redeveloped.

OP
OP
Matthew40b

Matthew40b

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin rot is usually a sign of poor diet (which you stated you are feeding a variety which means this is probably not the case) or bad water quality that causes stress. How is your water looking like?
I dont do water changes on that tank as often as my other ones because I dont have any coral in it. I usually do one every 2 to 3 weeks. Ill try weekly water changes to see if that helps

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Matthew40b

Matthew40b

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a result of aggression. If the fish was Not purchased this way, it is likely a tankmate. Not fin rot as the edges are healed over. Damage like this will heal and regorw on its own but may have imperfection due to often, not fully redeveloped.
There aren't any other fish in the tank so that why I thought maybe it was the rockwork

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There aren't any other fish in the tank so that why I thought maybe it was the rockwork
generally rocks dont take off fins Unless the tang got well wedged within the rock structure

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2748021 View attachment 2748022

That isn't typical fin rot, or fin damage from abrasion. See how the margins are smooth? That is some sort of chronic regression. Here is the odd thing about yellow tangs. They don't show head and lateral live erosion the same as other fish do (pits around the head and lateral line). Instead, they show erosion/regression of their unpaired fins (dorsal and anal fins, usually not the caudal fin). I think that is what you are seeing here.

It is caused by carbon use for sure, and possibly other factors. There is no cure once the erosion has progressed.

Here is an extreme example:

1657915524640.jpeg

Avast
OP
OP
Matthew40b

Matthew40b

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't typical fin rot, or fin damage from abrasion. See how the margins are smooth? That is some sort of chronic regression. Here is the odd thing about yellow tangs. They don't show head and lateral live erosion the same as other fish do (pits around the head and lateral line). Instead, they show erosion/regression of their unpaired fins (dorsal and anal fins, usually not the caudal fin). I think that is what you are seeing here.

It is caused by carbon use for sure, and possibly other factors. There is no cure once the erosion has progressed.

Here is an extreme example:

View attachment 2748147
I have run carbon in that tank before. So even if I start doing more frequent water changes his fin wont grow back? Will it only get worse from here?

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont do water changes on that tank as often as my other ones because I dont have any coral in it. I usually do one every 2 to 3 weeks. Ill try weekly water changes to see if that helps
IMHO - (agree with @vetteguy53081 ) it does not look like 'fin rot' (i.e. nothing to treat. On the other hand - I think you should have pristine water conditions. Poor diet DOES cause decreased resistance to bacterial infections - or fungal, etc.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run carbon in that tank before. So even if I start doing more frequent water changes his fin wont grow back? Will it only get worse from here?
It may not get worse if you stop carbon, feed it well and keep up with water changes. It likely won’t heal back all the way though.
Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back