Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve been looking for a Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish, for some time. Found one at a LFS, that was eating Flake. Quarantined it in a 30 gallon and observed, notice a place on its fin near the gill. Started slowly ramping up the Copper Power, died before I got up to the Therapy Dose. One of the weird things was it would only eat Flake Food, wouldn’t touch Angel/Butterflyfish formula, or the S F Bay, Combo Pack. Could this be Cyanide Poisoning? BTW, the tank is established with Foam Bio-Filters, and had zero Ammonia, that was checked twice a day.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I‘ve been looking for a Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish, for some time. Found one at a LFS, that was eating Flake. Quarantined it in a 30 gallon and observed, notice a place on its fin near the gill. Started slowly ramping up the Copper Power, died before I got up to the Therapy Dose. One of the weird things was it would only eat Flake Food, wouldn’t touch Angel/Butterflyfish formula, or the S F Bay, Combo Pack. Could this be Cyanide Poisoning? BTW, the tank is established with Foam Bio-Filters, and had zero Ammonia, that was checked twice a day.
I dont believe a cyanide issue especially based on origin but first mistake was ramping copper, which can cause more harm than good. Go right to level within 24-36 hours.
What copper level were you trying to attain and on ammonia - how were you testing?
How was fish breathing ?
Any twitching or darting across tank?
Clamped fins or unusual behavior?

Hard to tell without pic and even video under white lighting. Do you know how long the LFS had it?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back