Yellow Clown Goby with a pale streak

DEL 707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56l tank that finished it's cycle last Wednesday, I went to pick up a yellow clown goby on Saturday.
He's the tanks 1st livestock.

Today I've noticed he has a pale streak on him.
Excuse the poor photo, my phone camera for some reason really makes my tank look more blue then it really is.

6L4gOM1.jpg

I've never owned this type of goby before, but after the 1st day, I'd say he's behaviour has been pretty normal.
He's been hoping around on the rocks, sometimes just hovering out in the middle of open water, goes a bit frantic when I add food.

I didn't feed him on the 1st day, but the last 2 days I've been feeding him twice a day with brine shrimp.
I've ordered some TDO Chroma boost X small, which should hopefully arrive tomorrow. I want to start using that for the morning feedings.

I've tried to be very careful with the feedings, just adding a few brine shrimp at the time. Don't want to nuke the tank with left over food since I have no cleanup crew.

I've just done some testing with my red sea kit.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-50

Hard to be accurate with the nitrate kit.

I did a water change on Saturday before I added him and that brought nitrates down to about 20.

After seeing those tests, I'm thinking about doing another big water change tomorrow, 50%.

Things have been a bit hot recently, the room he's in hit 34°C. I had a fan blowing over the water.
The max temp it got up to was 27.9°C, I have my bluebird set to keep that tank at 26°C normally.

But is there anything else I could be doing wrong to effect his colouring?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56l tank that finished it's cycle last Wednesday, I went to pick up a yellow clown goby on Saturday.

Excuse the poor photo, my phone camera for some reason really makes my tank look more blue then it really is.

6L4gOM1.jpg

I've never owned this type of goby before, but after the 1st day, I'd say he's behaviour has been pretty normal.
He's been hoping around on the rocks, sometimes just hovering out in the middle of open water, goes a bit frantic when I add food.

I didn't feed him on the 1st day, but the last 2 days I've been feeding him twice a day with brine shrimp.
I've ordered some TDO Chroma boost X small, which should hopefully arrive tomorrow. I want to start using that for the morning feedings.

I've tried to be very careful with the feedings, just adding a few brine shrimp at the time. Don't want to nuke the tank with left over food since I have no cleanup crew.

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-50

I did a water change on Saturday before I added him and that brought nitrates down to about 20.

After seeing those tests, I'm thinking about doing another big water change tomorrow, 50%.

Things have been a bit hot recently, the room he's in hit 34°C. I had a fan blowing over the water.
The max temp it got up to was 27.9°C, I have my bluebird set to keep that tank at 26°C normally.

Your water tests are fine, you should hold off on the water change, you don’t need to worry about nitrates right now.

The pale coloration could be stress. Does the tank have good aeration, not just circulation?

Be sure to feed it enough - as it eats, give it a bit more until it stops. Do this 3x a day.

OP
OP
DEL 707

DEL 707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AI Nero 3 and Fluval 107 filter.
Both of them are causing a fair amount of surface water movement.

I don't have an airstone or anything like that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Th

6L4gOM1.jpg

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-50

This fish looks a little thin but the white streak is generally there until as mentioned stressed or intimidated by another tank mate.
Is fish eating and what foods are you offering?Additionally assure it has places for cover and hiding as it often hides within corals and crevices

OP
OP
DEL 707

DEL 707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing else in the tank except dry rock. Plenty of places for him to hide.
He seems to be eating to me, he chases it around and grabs it.
He does spit it out sometimes.

OP
OP
DEL 707

DEL 707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about him eating for the 1st few days, but now, I would describe him as voracious.
Because I'm not at work I'm feeding him 3 times a day and he never stops. But he's still looking pale

hbrIz4K.png

I tried him on that TBO Chromo Boost, but he want take to it. Just keeps spitting it out.
I'm feeding him TMC Gamma brineshrimp, is there any other food I can try? Maybe additives?

OP
OP
DEL 707

DEL 707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little guys still going. Has a bit of an appetite.
Still looks a little pale.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back