Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have just added some new fish to our tank, the yellow belly damsels are being very aggressive towards the smaller sapphire damsels, is this normal and will they settle? We have had to remove one sapphire as it’s struggling. Would I be better removing them completely? Also also our brown tang is not taking to a newly added copper band Butterfly? Any advice would be much appreciated

CLICK TO VIEW

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have just added some new fish to our tank, the yellow belly damsels are being very aggressive towards the smaller sapphire damsels, is this normal and will they settle? We have had to remove one sapphire as it’s struggling. Would I be better removing them completely? Also also our brown tang is not taking to a newly added copper band Butterfly? Any advice would be much appreciated
First off;
Yellow Belly damsels are one of the meaner species of Damsel. It’s not surprising they’re going after the sapphires. It’s likely you’ll have to remove either the yellow belly or the sapphires as the sapphires are a mellow species that doesn’t seem to do too well with aggression IME.

As for the Brown Tang and CBB, this isn’t surprising. Scopas tangs are nasty with CBBs, mine decided to kill a CBB he had been with for 2 years. Their body shapes are too similar for the tangs liking and they often do murder CBBs. By the sounds of it your tank is rather small, if it’s only 4’ I would remove the Scopas as these really do need 6-7’ tanks. However if your tank is 3’ or smaller, the CBB and scopas should be removed. CBBs can last in 4’ tanks for quite some time as their growth rate is… Painfully slow. Mine has only grown about 0.5” in the 3 years I’ve had it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
K

kat.68

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for responding. Our tank is 2ft x 2.4ft x 4ft We have since removed two Saphires that were struggling, one more than the other but they are in the sump for a bit of peace and recovery time. The other 4 seem fine and the Yellow bellies seem to be ignoring them now. We are waiting on an isolation box so that they can go back in and we can monitor the situation. We have only been doing this since Nov so complete novice's. Another issue we have noticed is that our Gold Rush Tang is really picking on our Blue Cheek Gobi, its endless and Im not sure what to do. I really like them both, would more Gobi's sort that?

Thanks again for any advice.

Kat

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NicerReefs. Your Reef. But Nicer.
Back