Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i am new to this hobby. I ve recently introduced zoas, pulsing xenia and gsp to the tank.the gsp and pulsing xenia is not opening up however the zoas are doing fine. I ve noticed that my ph has lowered to 7.8. Is that the reason ?i have tried different light colours but they dont seem to open up. I will attach some pictures as well. TIA

image.jpg image.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Both affected by lack of water flow as well as needed low level nitrate and iron in their water
Neither favor bright lighting also

Top Shelf Aquatics

PandorasChalk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new as well, and I found my xenia after arriving in the mail took 3-4 days to open and flourish. Put both down by the sand bed for now and wait, if what I have read sounds right. My zoas did fine out of the gate, but I'd start low then work up high on the gsp and the xenia.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both affected by lack of water flow as well as needed low level nitrate and iron in their water
Neither favor bright lighting also
Its a 90l tank and i am running it on a canister filter and a wave maker as well. I dont think water flow is the issue. Nitrate is 0, ammonia 0.25 and phos 0.5

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Its a 90l tank and i am running it on a canister filter and a wave maker as well. I dont think water flow is the issue. Nitrate is 0, ammonia 0.25 and phos 0.5
Phi’s slightly elevated and with canister nitrate will follow
What test kits are you using?

World Wide Corals

Uriken

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you have 2 corals that are showing distress tells me there is a piece to the puzzle that is out of whack. I know my Xenia was flourishing then all of a sudden it looked like a small ball with tiny polyps. Looking at my water I found my alkalinity was down with everything else still hanging in there. I made an adjustment and all my corals woke up really nicely accept for the Xenia. I then started to do some careful watching of what may be going on in the tank and then realized the coral next to them easily could be stinging the Xenia. At this point I moved it to the sand bed to recover. I would recover your PH / Alkalinity with a water change just as one suggestion.

OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phi’s slightly elevated and with canister nitrate will follow
What test kits are you using?
Ap
The light may be an important factor here. What kind of light is on the tank? Also, if your detecting ammonia and no nitrates, I have to assume that the tank is not cycled. When did you set the tank
The light may be an important factor here. What kind of light is on the tank? Also, if your detecting ammonia and no nitrates, I have to assume that the tank is not cycled. When did you set the tank up?
Hi mate. The tank has been setup for 3 months now. I had nitrates and nitrite before but since i added fish the nitrate and nitrite has decreased to 0.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I asked about test kits as I suspected false readings which API is notorious for.
I would get a second opinion on water from a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing

OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about test kits as I suspected false readings which API is notorious for.
I would get a second opinion on water from a trusted LFS that does not use API kits for testing
i use api except phosphate and alkalinity which i use selifert

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

ribek gurung

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you have 2 corals that are showing distress tells me there is a piece to the puzzle that is out of whack. I know my Xenia was flourishing then all of a sudden it looked like a small ball with tiny polyps. Looking at my water I found my alkalinity was down with everything else still hanging in there. I made an adjustment and all my corals woke up really nicely accept for the Xenia. I then started to do some careful watching of what may be going on in the tank and then realized the coral next to them easily could be stinging the Xenia. At this point I moved it to the sand bed to recover. I would recover your PH / Alkalinity with a water change just as one suggestion.
I ve ran a airline tube outside the house from the skimmer hoping to raise the ph.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back