Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of finishing out my fish stocking and am at the "semi-aggresive bit" which for this tank is just wrasses. 120g mixed reef, 150lbs of rock, 29g sump. 30xish flow, some nems, cuc consists of mostly larger snails (trochus, astrea, nassarius, turbo), hermit crabs (mostly there as snacks for the melanarus and valentini) and a trio of urchins. Tank stays pretty clean with little work, only major pest is zoa eating aterinas. I would like some suggestions since there are so many options. I currently have a large melanarus (4-5") who has been in the tank for 2 years. I just finished qting a lobbacks and a 6 line (both under 1.5"). I would like to add 2 more medium (melanarus sizeish) or 3-4 smaller wrasses before i add the dottyback and damsels.

20230131_170426.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I didn't think you could do that many in a tank that small. This is my first salt tank.
I have a lot of rockscape and those are all peaceful type wrasses that are small to medium size. 6 lines are aggressive sometimes but not mine at all. I have 12 fish total with no issues but I picked smaller colorful fish that like to swim. Some at the top, most mid tank and few at the bottom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
4-5 would be reasonable. You have to provide good scape for them with hiding areas and cave structure. What Lavey has in his size tank is Not unreasonable as most play well together and would be an example

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 would be reasonable. You have to provide good scape for them with hiding areas and cave structure. What Lavey has in his size tank is Not unreasonable as most play well together and would be an example
I made sure to add several dozen caves and recesses of various sizes. But knowing that I may do a few more. I'm not really into tangs or other massive biload fish. I prefer to have several gobies and smaller wrasses much more. I really like the wrasses from the melanarus' genes. Helochieres or something. There's a checkerboard in town but google says they get rather large.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made sure to add several dozen caves and recesses of various sizes. But knowing that I may do a few more. I'm not really into tangs or other massive biload fish. I prefer to have several gobies and smaller wrasses much more. I really like the wrasses from the melanarus' genes. Helochieres or something. There's a checkerboard in town but google says they get rather large.
Yellow coris is great pest eater in the tank

Attachments

• 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 29

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Largest checkerboard ive seen was shy of 5". Often we see websites and sellers like Divers den listing max sizes and often use numbers from the wild and not in a tank setting yet when they are selling them, they call a 3-4" LARGE.

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largest checkerboard ive seen was shy of 5". Often we see websites and sellers like Divers den listing max sizes and often use numbers from the wild and not in a tank setting yet when they are selling them, they call a 3-4" LARGE.
This guy was the same size as my mela. Who I'm going to temporarily give to my buddy in a few months. I have a zoa eating asterina problem and dont have the time to consistently pull them out. Not a huge population but every time i add zoas they get munched in days. Judging by what he occasionally does to hermits im not risking a harlequin.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This guy was the same size as my mela. Who I'm going to temporarily give to my buddy in a few months. I have a zoa eating asterina problem and dont have the time to consistently pull them out. Not a huge population but every time i add zoas they get munched in days. Judging by what he occasionally does to hermits im not risking a harlequin.
Asterinas many don't realize are nightmares and I had a colony of Bam Bams eaten by these stars. I resorted to pulling them manually daily. It seemed at first I was getting no where then suddenly I realized theyre gone. I tried Harlequin pair and they eventually vanished.
I am now understanding Bumble bee shrimp also eat them

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterinas many don't realize are nightmares and I had a colony of Bam Bams eaten by these stars. I resorted to pulling them manually daily. It seemed at first I was getting no where then suddenly I realized theyre gone. I tried Harlequin pair and they eventually vanished.
I am now understanding Bumble bee shrimp also eat them
Never heard of bumblebees. Are they a better alternative in your opinion? I would rather get something I could keep permanently that wont murder any ornamental star i add.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Never heard of bumblebees. Are they a better alternative in your opinion? I would rather get something I could keep permanently that wont murder any ornamental star i add.
Honestly. Ive never had them and would be giving you unknown answer but hopefully link below helps but sounds like Not a good choice either:

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. Ive never had them and would be giving you unknown answer but hopefully link below helps but sounds like Not a good choice either:

Looks like they are still rather risky to add with bigger stars. Wish there was a fish that ate them.
Heh. If wishes were fishes. You may now groan.
It's a shame cuz I really enjoy my melanarus but it will have to be done for however long it takes to murder every asterina.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a 5” melanurus and a six line, you could add a checkerboard wrasse. But you’ll likely need to rehome the lubbocki at some point as any of those other wrasses could bully the lubbocki. Are you wanting to stick with semi-aggressive wrasses?

Having a six line will throw a wrench in your wrasse stocking plans. Six lines have a bad reputation with other wrasses. They can be perfect gentlemen for a while, even a couple of years, but once they reach maturity they can snap. I’ve had to pull those little devils out of so many of my customer’s tanks over the years.

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have a 5” melanurus and a six line, you could add a checkerboard wrasse. But you’ll likely need to rehome the lubbocki at some point as any of those other wrasses could bully the lubbocki. Are you wanting to stick with semi-aggressive wrasses?

Having a six line will throw a wrench in your wrasse stocking plans. Six lines have a bad reputation with other wrasses. They can be perfect gentlemen for a while, even a couple of years, but once they reach maturity they can snap. I’ve had to pull those little devils out of so many of my customer’s tanks over the years.
The six line has to be one of the most mixed review fish ive ever heard of. I may swap him out when he gets bigger but hes the size of the last digit of my pinky rn. And the rest of the tank is rather chill, would like to keep it that way. Ive even successfully kept a pair of rainfords gobies in here for 6 months. Other inhabitants are clown gobies, a sailfin and blue hippo (both small) a decent size foxface, ocellaris pair, velentini puffer (likely only here temporarily) a pajama cardinal, a bicolor blenny, and the pink spot/tiger pistol. After the wrasses are figured out i will finish stocking with;
2 mandarins
5 of the chillest, smallest damsels possible (may skip)
Royal gramma
Psuedochromis (havnt decided which.)

Because of the mandarins i would prefer wrasses that dont nuke your pods. Ive been pumping the posiedon mix and tiggers in particular the last few months just to make sure i have a good population. Still have to make a cheato basket for the sump and order some.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The six line has to be one of the most mixed review fish ive ever heard of. I may swap him out when he gets bigger but hes the size of the last digit of my pinky rn. And the rest of the tank is rather chill, would like to keep it that way. Ive even successfully kept a pair of rainfords gobies in here for 6 months. Other inhabitants are clown gobies, a sailfin and blue hippo (both small) a decent size foxface, ocellaris pair, velentini puffer (likely only here temporarily) a pajama cardinal, a bicolor blenny, and the pink spot/tiger pistol. After the wrasses are figured out i will finish stocking with;
2 mandarins
5 of the chillest, smallest damsels possible (may skip)
Royal gramma
Psuedochromis (havnt decided which.)

Because of the mandarins i would prefer wrasses that dont nuke your pods. Ive been pumping the posiedon mix and tiggers in particular the last few months just to make sure i have a good population. Still have to make a cheato basket for the sump and order some.
LOL yes, six lines do have their lovers and haters. Personally, I love them in frag tanks. Great pest hunters.

Your six line will compete with mandarins for pods. So will your melanurus. Any wrasse in the halichoeres genus is a pod hunter. Just something to consider. If you want wrasses that don’t eat pods, you could look into some more fairy wrasses or some flasher wrasses?

OP
OP
Bixby'sMenagerie

Bixby'sMenagerie

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL yes, six lines do have their lovers and haters. Personally, I love them in frag tanks. Great pest hunters.

Your six line will compete with mandarins for pods. So will your melanurus. Any wrasse in the halichoeres genus is a pod hunter. Just something to consider. If you want wrasses that don’t eat pods, you could look into some more fairy wrasses or some flasher wrasses?
That explains why I stopped seeing so many pods on the glass...
And yes I like both. Then again, never seen a flatworm or anything else bad in here so at least he did his pest control job.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back