Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear about wrasse aggression, especially in regards to other wrasses, obviously I hear about this after I bought a 6line. Then I look into wrasses and fall in love with the look of two, and I'm trying to do my due diligence and actually plan these out as best as I can. I'm looking at a white band possum (Wetmorella albofasciata) and a melanurus (Halichoeres melanurus). What order/which one(s) should I just pass on due to aggression?

Thank you in advanced

P.S. I plan on getting a Maxima clam so if one of those are an issue in regards to eating a clam please let me know

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

LuizW13

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the sixline, then I wouldn't add either of the 2 new ones.

If you get rid of the sixline, then possum first. Should be fine, providing the tank is a 55 gallon or so. I bet they won't notice each other.

Neither are a risk with the clam.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
F

FeriConclave

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the sixline, then I wouldn't add either of the 2 new ones.

If you get rid of the sixline, then possum first. Should be fine, providing the tank is a 55 gallon or so. I bet they won't notice each other.

Neither are a risk with the clam.
Dang, well I'll have to ask the wife then. The sixline is good with clams?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out

This is a good guideline but to me it’s a bunch of words and not everyone understands it instantly, here’s it simplified:

Wrasses can be housed together in harmony but when they change gender, harmony can be Brocken if the first wrasse to change is the most aggressive in the genus. My wrasses in my nano tank are:
- M. bipartitus (Blue star leopard wrasse),
- C. Naokoae (Naoko fairy wrasse)
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia (Pink streaked wrasse).
These are all getting along since they’re small and more peaceful wrasse. In my main display (4’ tank), my wrasses are:
- C. melanomarginatus (Black margin fairy wrasse)
- C. lubbocki (Cebu Lubbock’s fairy wrasse)
- C. lubbocki (Indo Lubbock’s fairy wrasse)
- H. Iridis (Radiant wrasse)
- H. chloropterus (Jade wrasse).
These guys shouldnt get along but my group do, The reason these shouldnt all get along is:
1. My two Lubbock’s are part of the same Complex (the lubbocki complex) and two or more wrasses from the same complex shouldnt do alright,
2. My black margin fairy wrasse is part of the scottorum complex and so that complex shouldn’t be housed with other fairy wrasse because they get aggressive towards them,
3. Jade wrasses get VERY aggressive so mine shouldn’t actually be doing well with the 4 other wrasses but they do some how.
Many wrasse owners will say my wrasses shouldn’t be housed together however, my 5 wrasses are coexisting in harmony and even adding other wrasse won’t disturb that (Or so the last one didn’t).
What I’m trying to say is because your two wrasses are from totally different genera, they will get along just add the possum first then add the melanurus. The only wrasse I would put a six line with are the most aggressive wrasses (H. chloropterus and C. melanomarginatus/scottorum).

OP
OP
F

FeriConclave

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,
This is a good guideline but to me it’s a bunch of words and not everyone understands it instantly, here’s it simplified:

Wrasses can be housed together in harmony but when they change gender, harmony can be Brocken if the first wrasse to change is the most aggressive in the genus. My wrasses in my nano tank are:
- M. bipartitus (Blue star leopard wrasse),
- C. Naokoae (Naoko fairy wrasse)
- Pseudocheilinops ataenia (Pink streaked wrasse).
These are all getting along since they’re small and more peaceful wrasse. In my main display (4’ tank), my wrasses are:
These guys shouldnt get along but my group do, The reason these shouldnt all get along is:
1. My two Lubbock’s are part of the same Complex (the lubbocki complex) and two or more wrasses from the same complex shouldnt do alright,
2. My black margin fairy wrasse is part of the scottorum complex and so that complex shouldn’t be housed with other fairy wrasse because they get aggressive towards them,
3. Jade wrasses get VERY aggressive so mine shouldn’t actually be doing well with the 4 other wrasses but they do some how.
Many wrasse owners will say my wrasses shouldn’t be housed together however, my 5 wrasses are coexisting in harmony and even adding other wrasse won’t disturb that (Or so the last one didn’t).
What I’m trying to say is because your two wrasses are from totally different genera, they will get along just add the possum first then add the melanurus. The only wrasse I would put a six line with are the most aggressive wrasses (H. chloropterus and C. melanomarginatus/scottorum).
And since the 6line is already in, no more wrasses for the life of the 6line

BRS

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bars

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a melanurus, but I believe they're considered one of the more aggressive Halichoeres types.

If I look at my own Halichoeres wrasses (chrysus and timorensis), I'd consider them very peaceful, but they don't take crap from anyone. They rule the tank and the others know it. Whenever I add a new fish, it's not my azure damsel I have to worry about, but rather the timorensis. I'd imagine a nice medium sized melanurus could deal with a sixline.

Then again, my only experience with a sixline was very positive. Model citizen that unfortunately didn't survive a move.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
F

FeriConclave

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a melanurus, but I believe they're considered one of the more aggressive Halichoeres types.

If I look at my own Halichoeres wrasses (chrysus and timorensis), I'd consider them very peaceful, but they don't take crap from anyone. They rule the tank and the others know it. Whenever I add a new fish, it's not my azure damsel I have to worry about, but rather the timorensis. I'd imagine a nice medium sized melanurus could deal with a sixline.

Then again, my only experience with a sixline was very positive. Model citizen that unfortunately didn't survive a move.
My sixline was getting bullied by a pearlscale butterfly, that I just rehome due to my desire for a clam. So maybe it'll be ok, but why risk it?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also like to add the choice of H. Iridis, very similar behaviour to both adorned and timorensis wrasses. IMHO, melanurus are actually peaceful/moderate compared to the behaviour of jade wrasses and other similar species.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys shouldnt get along but my group do
How long have you had them?

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had them?
So, in order:
Jade was bought back in July 2020,
Radiant was bought back in September 2020,
Cebu Lubbock fairy was bought back in September 2020,
Black margin was bought back in March 2021,
Indo Lubbock was bought back in August 2021.
So I’ve had most of my wrasses for almost a year with the Indo Lubbock coming up to 4 months.
My naoko was bought last March or April, the Blue star was last September. I got the naoko as a replacement to the one that died a year before due to jumping but he was only 1” so I didn’t risk putting him in the 4’ display. Similar reason with why the leopard is in my nano, she was about .25” but now she’s an inch.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back