Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if anyone would be able to ID this wrasse, was leaning towards a Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse but there isn't much yellow like I've seen other ones have. Any ideas?
Thanks

IMG_20230329_160138.jpg IMG_20230329_160146.jpg

Corals.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like red parrot. redfin fairy wrasse or temminckii fairy wrasse. The fish is distant in the pic
Just going to say… those are 3 different species you’re mentioning.
Teminickii is a vastly different wrasse and rarely even featured Red let alone that much of it. Cirrhilabrus teminickii is mostly green with some red splotching or red lines depending on the variant it is but only one variant features a maroon body which is the Coral Sea Variant and even then you have to have a good specimen to display that colouring.

Redfin Fairy Wrasse is close and is from the same complex however that species is Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis which used to be thought as a colour variant of Rubripinnis. The huge differentiator of the two species is easily the throat. C. cyanogularis has an obvious blue throat whilst this species the OP has has a line of a blue throat.

The Red Parrot I’m not too sure what you mean.

However the species the OP has is certainly C. rubripinnis. And this species can become somewhat boisterous towards other wrasses (especially Fairy and Flahser Wrasses) so just a warning to the OP as I’m assuming their tank isn’t a 300+G tank which is what Orion has.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teminickii is a vastly different wrasse and rarely even featured Red let alone that much of it. Cirrhilabrus teminickii is mostly green with some red splotching or red lines depending on the variant it is but only one variant features a maroon body which is the Coral Sea Variant and even then you have to have a good specimen to display that colouring.

Redfin Fairy Wrasse is close and is from the same complex however that species is Cirrhilabrus cyanogularis which used to be thought as a colour variant of Rubripinnis. The huge differentiator of the two species is easily the throat. C. cyanogularis has an obvious blue throat whilst this species the OP has has a line of a blue throat.

However the species the OP has is certainly C. rubripinnis. And this species can become somewhat boisterous towards other wrasses (especially Fairy and Flahser Wrasses) so just a warning to the OP as I’m assuming their tank isn’t a 300+G tank which is what Orion has.
@i cant think is right on, as he always is. I keep all of the species discussed here from juveniles to terminal male.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I appreciate all the feedback, you definitely hit it on the head. I have it in a 180G tank and I don't have any other wrasses yet but it has shown some aggression towards my anthias, I do want some other wrasses in the future so I'm probably going to end up pulling him from the tank so that I don't have any issues when I get others. Thanks!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back