+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have some questions for wrasse experts:
I have a 550G mixed reef with a number of angels, tangs, anthias, etc, and a few wrasses. I am hoping to add a bit more wrasses into the mix but am afraid of aggression. Also I have corals and clams so aiming for mostly “reef safe” options.

currently I have only three wrasses: melanurus (male) six line, and a bluehead (female). All three were obtained initially for pest patrol purposes. Have all three for years and they do live peacefully together. Additionally, I had a cuban hogfish that was larger than them. They have all lived together peacefully in a smaller tank prior to my upgrade last year. I place the bluehead and the hogfish in my 100G sump while I introduce some peaceful fish like anthias. I recently retrieved them from the sump to add to the main display. And the bluehead killed the hogfish within days of moving- that is my question number 1: what causes a wrasse to suddenly turn evil against a tankmate after moving into a bigger space? And this is a tankmate who’s been living with her peacefully for years.

my number2 question is the obvious- do I have any chances to add any other wrasses? Specifically I am hoping for some in the flasher, leopard family, or mystery wrasse?

AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 550G mixed reef with a number of angels, tangs, anthias, etc, and a few wrasses. I am hoping to add a bit more wrasses into the mix but am afraid of aggression. Also I have corals and clams so aiming for mostly “reef safe” options.

currently I have only three wrasses: melanurus (male) six line, and a bluehead (female). All three were obtained initially for pest patrol purposes. Have all three for years and they do live peacefully together. Additionally, I had a cuban hogfish that was larger than them. They have all lived together peacefully in a smaller tank prior to my upgrade last year. I place the bluehead and the hogfish in my 100G sump while I introduce some peaceful fish like anthias. I recently retrieved them from the sump to add to the main display. And the bluehead killed the hogfish within days of moving- that is my question number 1: what causes a wrasse to suddenly turn evil against a tankmate after moving into a bigger space? And this is a tankmate who’s been living with her peacefully for years.

my number2 question is the obvious- do I have any chances to add any other wrasses? Specifically I am hoping for some in the flasher, leopard family, or mystery wrasse?
Blue heads are notorious for being aggressive. They often just ‘snap’ one day without explanation. The sixlines tend to do the exact same. Often, more territory there is the more difficult it is to have aggressive fish as they want the larger territory. You’ll also find the blue head killed your tusk as it was fighting for the remaining territory.
As for adding other wrasses, you’ll find you’ll have to completely restart your wrasse stocking from just the Melanurus before being able to add anything else.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not going to offer anything other than letting you know you’re in good hands with @i cant think . He may tell you things you don’t want to hear but he’s a straight shooter and won’t waste your time, or his, sugarcoating.

When I first saw your thread title this is what I thought of… a little humor to break up any bad news.
F3812430-D9D2-4DFA-9861-3931CAC25366.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to add that wasn’t already said but you want to avoid the Thalassoma type wrasse like your bluehead.

There are many more docile pest control wrasses.

Mystery’s can actually be pretty rude as well.

Here is a great resource on mixing wrasses and such: https://www.thewrasseguy.com/

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue heads are notorious for being aggressive. They often just ‘snap’ one day without explanation. The sixlines tend to do the exact same. Often, more territory there is the more difficult it is to have aggressive fish as they want the larger territory. You’ll also find the blue head killed your tusk as it was fighting for the remaining territory.
As for adding other wrasses, you’ll find you’ll have to completely restart your wrasse stocking from just the Melanurus before being able to add anything else.
Yeah that’s pretty much what I figured hence I have not expanded from my current wrasse stock

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to offer anything other than letting you know you’re in good hands with @i cant think . He may tell you things you don’t want to hear but he’s a straight shooter and won’t waste your time, or his, sugarcoating.

When I first saw your thread title this is what I thought of… a little humor to break up any bad news.
View attachment 3090811
Yes I was hoping I cant think would make a comment

Corals.com
OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing to add that wasn’t already said but you want to avoid the Thalassoma type wrasse like your bluehead.

Here is a great resource on mixing wrasses and such: https://www.thewrasseguy.com/
I have multiple systems and I do have a juvi formosa in one of them, I am on the fence about moving it to the main display. Not sure when, or if at all I wanna do that

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for sharing the link, @Tamberav ! I was MIA when things got shaken up and a lot of members exited. Hunter is a missed resource. Do you know if he move over to humble’s site?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple systems and I do have a juvi formosa in one of them, I am on the fence about moving it to the main display. Not sure when, or if at all I wanna do that
Honestly, a formosa when mature may actually be worse than your already nasty blue head… I know that gaimard can be pretty bad and Formosa is a close cousin to C. gaimard which is often labelled as being worse for aggression.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, a formosa when mature may actually be worse than your already nasty blue head… I know that gaimard can be pretty bad and Formosa is a close cousin to C. gaimard which is often labelled as being worse for aggression.
The prettiest ones are always the worst

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the link, @Tamberav ! I was MIA when things got shaken up and a lot of members exited. Hunter is a missed resource. Do you know if he move over to humble’s site?

yes

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prettiest ones are always the worst
Absolutely!
I fell victim to that rule 3 years ago, I now have a 3 year old Halichoeres chloropterus who is showing some boisterous behaviour to a new Xenojulis margaritaceus. It’s not too bad in terms of aggression and is more like a chase here and there but not consistent chasing.
D6E25B47-4CDF-4ED7-BAE0-A3ECC9651087.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely!
I fell victim to that rule 3 years ago, I now have a 3 year old Halichoeres chloropterus who is showing some boisterous behaviour to a new Xenojulis margaritaceus. It’s not too bad in terms of aggression and is more like a chase here and there but not consistent chasing.
View attachment 3090824
So is it your believe I cant add the juvi formosa to the group, as it would either get killed by the bluehead, or eventually kill the bluehead?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it your believe I cant add the juvi formosa to the group, as it would either get killed by the bluehead, or eventually kill the bluehead?
I wouldn’t add it as a juvenile as it will likely get killed by the blue head but when she grows and matures you will likely find they’ll even eachother out in aggression.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back