Wound on Tailspot Blenny

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I got home from work about an hour ago and noticed this white patch on my tailspot blenny had shown up. I can’t quite tell if this is a wound from fighting or ich and would appreciate any other opinions. He’s been in my tank about 5 months gets along great with my clowns but I did add a sixline wrasse about 2 weeks ago and while I haven’t seen any overly aggressive behavior, I figure he’s the likely culprit if this is a wound.

IMG_0657.jpeg IMG_0660.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture looks like what mine would get when I first added him, they can get spooked and try and fit in too small of a rock gap leaving a white mark.

The second pic looks a little deeper than a graze, could be a bite but I’m thinking not as bites would tend to be on the tips such as tail.

They do heal fast so probably not an issue, I would keep him well fed to help with healing.

OP
OP
TannerWhatever

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture looks like what mine would get when I first added him, they can get spooked and try and fit in too small of a rock gap leaving a white mark.

The second pic looks a little deeper than a graze, could be a bite but I’m thinking not as bites would tend to be on the tips such as tail.

They do heal fast so probably not an issue, I would keep him well fed to help with healing.
Thank you for the reply! I’m definitely going to keep an eye on him but he seems to be eating fine so hopefully it heals up quick!

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, looks like a small hit.
Nothing much in my mind and should heal quickly in a week or 3 assuming the attacks have stopped.

Someone took a huge chunk out of mine, and it took 6 weeks, and today, as if it never happened.

It’s the sustained hits that are problematic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey everyone I got home from work about an hour ago and noticed this white patch on my tailspot blenny had shown up. I can’t quite tell if this is a wound from fighting or ich and would appreciate any other opinions. He’s been in my tank about 5 months gets along great with my clowns but I did add a sixline wrasse about 2 weeks ago and while I haven’t seen any overly aggressive behavior, I figure he’s the likely culprit if this is a wound.

IMG_0657.jpeg IMG_0660.jpeg
This is a gash wound in which they spook easily and will NOT heal in a week - there is no specific time but will heal on its own. Keep an eye on it for healing and not becoming sore. If so, treatment will be seachem Kanaplex in a separate treatment tank and even ruby rally Pro which is reef safe.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a gash wound in which they spook easily and will NOT heal in a week - there is no specific time but will heal on its own. Keep an eye on it for healing and not becoming sore. If so, treatment will be seachem Kanaplex in a separate treatment tank and even ruby rally Pro which is reef safe.
I agree, a graze definitely heals within a week, but as said the 2nd pic looks a little deeper than a graze, tho you should start to see an improvement within a couple of days, if not repost.

OP
OP
TannerWhatever

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, looks like a small hit.
Nothing much in my mind and should heal quickly in a week or 3 assuming the attacks have stopped.

Someone took a huge chunk out of mine, and it took 6 weeks, and today, as if it never happened.

It’s the sustained hits that are problematic.
I hadn’t seen any aggressive signs from any fish towards him before this so I’m keeping an eye on him for now, he’s seems a little more timid than usual but he’s still chomping away at algae so that’s a good sign.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I hadn’t seen any aggressive signs from any fish towards him before this so I’m keeping an eye on him for now, he’s seems a little more timid than usual but he’s still chomping away at algae so that’s a good sign.
I dont see this as aggression but mechanical injury

OP
OP
TannerWhatever

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the treatment options! I’m going to keep my eye on him and the other fish in the tank for a few days before I decide if I want to treat him

OP
OP
TannerWhatever

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see this as aggression but mechanical injury
He’s been in my tank for about 5-6 months now, you think he messed up going into one of his rock crevices? He seems to be avoiding the rock work in the tank but I figured that was because my sixline is around there

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya just a rock scratch. It happens. HE'LL be fine. What size tank do you have? Does he come out or just hide all the time? Was thinking of getting one but small fish just seem to disappear in my tank never to be seen again

OP
OP
TannerWhatever

TannerWhatever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya just a rock scratch. It happens. HE'LL be fine. What size tank do you have? Does he come out or just hide all the time? Was thinking of getting one but small fish just seem to disappear in my tank never to be seen again
He’s pretty active! I have a smaller tank, it’s a 25 gallon peninsula but it does have a good amount of rockwork in it and while he spends time hanging out there he’s usually moving around the tank picking at algae

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is very active and confident after settling in, just provide a few holes for him to hide in, they don’t actually hide in them, they pop their heads out and look around then swim around and sit on the rocks, mine even goes into the clowns territory and hangs out with them, he even goes there to poop, they need holes tho to feel safe or will stress out. Great personalities.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll likely never see a fish hit another one - it’s over in a split second. Also, fish tend to not fight when you are in the room watching them.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back