+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 32 (plus) year old tank has been up and running for over 2 yrs, it is not drilled. In the last year I have burned through 2 Aqualifter pumps and now the replacement clone which hasn't been running but for a few months running the overflow box.
Roughly $100 down the drain in what I thought would be a pump that would last at least a year.

Now I either sink another $30-40 on a replacement pump or $150 on an overflow box that has to be drilled.

I have drilled a variety of smaller tanks from 5 gallon to 40 gallons and it's not difficult. What I have never done has been drilling 1/2" glass in the upright position while filled.

I am leaning towards ordering the overflow box and drilling it.
I have every intention of making a wood template to attach to the tank with clamps and slowly drilling it.

What would you guys do.
I am also going to call my LFS and see if they have someone who they use, if reasonably priced I might go that route.

If anyone has another option, I'm all ears.

Photo_1679450773996.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

edd59

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
make sure it isnt tempered. the overflow should come with a template so you drill at correct height for water level and i would drain most of the water. there is still a risk if you higher someone to drill so diy.
and tape the template clamps will put pressure on the glass

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My 32 (plus) year old tank has been up and running for over 2 yrs, it is not drilled. In the last year I have burned through 2 Aqualifter pumps and now the replacement clone which hasn't been running but for a few months running the overflow box.
Roughly $100 down the drain in what I thought would be a pump that would last at least a year.

Now I either sink another $30-40 on a replacement pump or $150 on an overflow box that has to be drilled.

I have drilled a variety of smaller tanks from 5 gallon to 40 gallons and it's not difficult. What I have never done has been drilling 1/2" glass in the upright position while filled.

I am leaning towards ordering the overflow box and drilling it.
I have every intention of making a wood template to attach to the tank with clamps and slowly drilling it.

What would you guys do.
I am also going to call my LFS and see if they have someone who they use, if reasonably priced I might go that route.

If anyone has another option, I'm all ears.

View attachment 3088913
Must be tempered or it will either chip or shatter. Based on age of tank, question is what type of glass

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back