Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple will most likely fight with the Gem Tang since they are both Zebrasomas and the purple would have established its territory if you put it in first. Since you have a acanthurus and zebrasoma consider a oaracanthurus or ctenocheatus to lower the risk of fighting. I have a Blue, Tomini and Gem in my tank and have never had any fighting between them (80Gal).

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purple will most likely fight with the Gem Tang since they are both Zebrasomas and the purple would have established its territory if you put it in first. Since you have a acanthurus and zebrasoma consider a oaracanthurus or ctenocheatus to lower the risk of fighting. I have a Blue, Tomini and Gem in my tank and have never had any fighting between them (80Gal).

the black is also a zebrasoma so that's why i was going to add the black + gem together to spread the aggression

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

NicholasDRR

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black tang is also a zebrasoma so either way they will fight with the purple eventually. I have a smaller tank than you so Im not the tang police but having the same genus will most likely lead to more fighting. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a black or gem for it to die or get bullied. Best to consider other ones.

NicholasDRR

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the purple ? If he is small or will be the same size as the others, then go for it but I recommend rescaping and taking him out and introduce all 3 at the same time. 3 is better than 2 to spread out aggression like you said.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the purple ? If he is small or will be the same size as the others, then go for it but I recommend rescaping and taking him out and introduce all 3 at the same time. 3 is better than 2 to spread out aggression like you said.
he is pretty small he stopped growing when i added the powder blue he is about 4"

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

NicholasDRR

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's risky but my recommendations would be (As someone who has kept multiple zebrasoma successfully in a smaller tank than acceptable by most Tang police) is make sure there is plenty of places to hide, introduce them all at the same time to a new aquascape, and keep them fed well to reduce the reason for fighting.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's risky but my recommendations would be (As someone who has kept multiple zebrasoma successfully in a smaller tank than acceptable by most Tang police) is make sure there is plenty of places to hide, introduce them all at the same time to a new aquascape, and keep them fed well to reduce the reason for fighting.
yea i need to buy some more rock tbh gonna do that soon

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x2x2 makes four tangs very difficult I would stick with 3 and feed very heavily tangs are much less aggressive when full. Yes rearrange your rockscape and add at the same time put a couple mirrors up and watch very closely for the first week. After that they will tame down.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x2x2 makes four tangs very difficult I would stick with 3 and feed very heavily tangs are much less aggressive when full. Yes rearrange your rockscape and add at the same time put a couple mirrors up and watch very closely for the first week. After that they will tame down.
alright ill put 2 mirrors up once i get it 1 for the powder blue 1 for the purple

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the black is also a zebrasoma so that's why i was going to add the black + gem together to spread the aggression
The two may or may not work depending on hiding and cover but black will also cost you. I am looking at one right now and its near $1000us. My purple has toned down quite a bit and tangs can be jerks but rarely destroy yhe other within tank

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two may or may not work depending on hiding and cover but black will also cost you. I am looking at one right now and its near $1000us. My purple has toned down quite a bit and tangs can be jerks but rarely destroy yhe other within tank
i wish black tangs we're that cheap in the UK i would have 5 my purple + powder blue r quite chill for tangs i added the powder blue to the purple and they was abit of bickering nothing major but never added another tang to the powder blue the mirror trick works for the powder blue though

this is the price of black tangs in the UK

Nutramar Foods

NicholasDRR

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs can be chill until the right tank mate comes in and causes them to get aggressive, Zebrasomas are some of the most aggressive tangs towards each other . If you have the space in your tank, add as many paths for them to swim and hide from each other to lower aggression. Also if you can get a large breeder box to put in, you can watch to see how the purple reacts without putting your new tang in danger (This is only if you don't add them all at the same time).

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i wish black tangs we're that cheap in the UK i would have 5 my purple + powder blue r quite chill for tangs i added the powder blue to the purple and they was abit of bickering nothing major but never added another tang to the powder blue the mirror trick works for the powder blue though

this is the price of black tangs in the UK

I never had to do mirror trick. The black is a favor to me. Typically they are $1300-$1700

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had to do mirror trick. The black is a favor to me. Typically they are $1300-$1700
they r very rare in the UK in the 4 years i have been in the hobby i have seen 1 pure black tang the link above and a hybrid black tang i'm not a fav of hybrids so would much pref a pure bred 1

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Tangs can be chill until the right tank mate comes in and causes them to get aggressive, Zebrasomas are some of the most aggressive tangs towards each other . If you have the space in your tank, add as many paths for them to swim and hide from each other to lower aggression. Also if you can get a large breeder box to put in, you can watch to see how the purple reacts without putting your new tang in danger (This is only if you don't add them all at the same time).
This is hit and miss. I have 24 tangs with #25 arriving tomorrow morning and My purple is becoming less of a concern. If introduced properly ( i introduce in the dark, all goes smooth.). Will they approach and get testy yes, but by second feeding could not care less about the new neighbor. Purple on the bottom:

1683056079273.png

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hit and miss. I have 24 tangs with #25 arriving tomorrow morning and My purple is becoming less of a concern. If introduced properly ( i introduce in the dark, all goes smooth.). Will they approach and get testy yes, but by second feeding could not care less about the new neighbor. Purple on the bottom:

View attachment 3132788
what tang you adding?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back