Would an sump with a skimmer provide enough gas exchange for a fully submerged lid?

BRS

tstor

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about interesting tank options, and one of the thinks I think could be interesting would be a lid that's fitted in the tank so that the bottom of the lid is just below the water level; so you'd see through glass on the top-side as well. You'd need to figure out an easy way to clean/feed, but that aside would it be possible to have enough gas exchange in the sump to offset the loss of area from the tank lid?

I was inspired a little by the Fluval edge, but something that would fit/work with a more traditional reef tank design.

World Wide Corals
Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to find out what *enough* is without trial and error? Don't want to kill anything experimenting
You need someone smarter than me for that
@Lasse
If you wanted to keep livestock in an enclosed space how much turnover would you need with the area where the oxygenation occurs?
10x
20x
?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater, is it a problem to leave the metal from the scraper in the water?
The ones I use in my tanks have plastic scrapers. They do fine with most stuff on the glass. I'll periodically use an extended metal scraper for the harder to remove stuff.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Manufactured Aquarium like that in a LFS, about three years ago. Top was touching the water, and you could view through the top. I think it was an all in one. The Store was Reef eScape in Fairfax, VA

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back