Would a solid wood TV stand work for a stand?

BRS

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a solid tv wood stand or console work for a 55 gallon saltwater tank? I think so assuming it’s not engineered wood or MDF etc. Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m not that crafty so making one would require help/buying one!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dolphis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t trust a tv stand… a gallon of water is roughly 8Lbs, so 55 gallons would be about 440 lbs… obviously it wouldn’t all be water, but you get an idea of how much it would need to support.

There are lots of DIYs for making a stand using 2x4s, really easy to make - I would go that route if you want to save a bit of money and it’s something not too complicated

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

thatwas3c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would say your link “https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/129118679918267/?mibextid=6ojiHh” looks promising since it has 4 points of vertical load support and could possibly handle your 55 gal assuming the tank would span across the full length of the stand. you can test the weight limit by having 3-4 adults sit on it. The biggest issue with modern tv stands are that there are not enough vertical supports to support the tabletop especially for water load and you would end up seeing the middle part bow. They are also not braced properly for vertical force when your power heads are pushing water left and right that force will transfer to the stand so make sure it is structurally sound and not wiggling left to right or front to back. But then again, you’d be surprised by how well build old tv furnitures were built back then.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your link “https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/129118679918267/?mibextid=6ojiHh” looks promising since it has 4 points of vertical load support and could possibly handle your 55 gal assuming the tank would span across the full length of the stand. you can test the weight limit by having 3-4 adults sit on it. The biggest issue with modern tv stands are that there are not enough vertical supports to support the tabletop especially for water load and you would end up seeing the middle part bow. They are also not braced properly for vertical force when your power heads are pushing water left and right that force will transfer to the stand so make sure it is structurally sound and not wiggling left to right or front to back. But then again, you’d be surprised by how well build old tv furnitures were built back then.
Thanks! It just occurred to me that this is too small but it gives you an idea of what I meant by tv stand lol!

Corals.com

thatwas3c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Happy to help! I’m sure you can find a furniture to handle the tank but if not you could also go with a diy cylinder block stand if you’re not comfortable working with putting 2 by 4s together. Just make sure your floor can handle the extra weight.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UniqueCorals.com shop rare & farmed corls
Back