• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Worst buying experience ever

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a $600 coral from them, they finally shipped it about 15mos later (replacement bc they killed the first one). The replacement was doa and they ran with my cash since I was honest and said I was hopeful it was starting to open and it fully died after 48hrs.

AS
Nutramar Foods

fluffynemo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate. I made a purchase in excess of $1.5k. The torch had zero flesh and the octospawns that I received had brown jelly. They resent “replacements” and one of the hammers had BJD. Honestly if these folks took the time to put plastic medicine cups to stabilize the frags from being tossed around, things wouldn’t die or get so sick during shipping….

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJDSEKULA

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 months later???? Nahhhh
Yep, the initial coral I bought died before they shipped it. The original order date was Jan 24 2022. Their original response was that they don't offer refunds but would give me a credit or ship a replacement when they got another of the same coral. I opted for the same coral since that was what I wanted. Three times I was contacted and told that they had my replacement ready if I purchased another shipping module they would send it. Three times I placed an order with a handful of other items to combine shipping and my replacement was forgotten to be added, sold in store by accident, died etc. I really don't care why, I just didn't recieve it. I finally recieved the doa replacement but bc it shipped poor and wasn't 100% dead (it arrived on the 15th but all flesh wasn't gone untill the 17th) they stated it exceeded their doa policy. Kaleb sent his sincerest apologies that the owner was not willing to do more for me and offered some free frags on my next order. I was waiting for a final decision on the situation and giving them a chance to make it right before saying anything but the original purchase was Jan 2022 and its now April 2023. I was essentially told that they can't deliver what was promised bc they had issues with that coral being a poor shipper so they gave it one try to humor me and that's it. If that was the original issue I should have been refunded the purchase, I understand the only store credit policy if this was a doa but not on a coral that died before they shipped that they are now not shipping anymore since their experience is that it ships poor.. the coral in question was an aussie gold torch btw not something super crazy that can't survive in a home reef.

AS
OP
OP
TJDSEKULA

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the initial coral I bought died before they shipped it. The original order date was Jan 24 2022. Their original response was that they don't offer refunds but would give me a credit or ship a replacement when they got another of the same coral. I opted for the same coral since that was what I wanted. Three times I was contacted and told that they had my replacement ready if I purchased another shipping module they would send it. Three times I placed an order with a handful of other items to combine shipping and my replacement was forgotten to be added, sold in store by accident, died etc. I really don't care why, I just didn't recieve it. I finally recieved the doa replacement but bc it shipped poor and wasn't 100% dead (it arrived on the 15th but all flesh wasn't gone untill the 17th) they stated it exceeded their doa policy. Kaleb sent his sincerest apologies that the owner was not willing to do more for me and offered some free frags on my next order. I was waiting for a final decision on the situation and giving them a chance to make it right before saying anything but the original purchase was Jan 2022 and its now April 2023. I was essentially told that they can't deliver what was promised bc they had issues with that coral being a poor shipper so they gave it one try to humor me and that's it. If that was the original issue I should have been refunded the purchase, I understand the only store credit policy if this was a doa but not on a coral that died before they shipped that they are now not shipping anymore since their experience is that it ships poor.. the coral in question was an aussie gold torch btw not something super crazy that can't survive in a home reef.
Here's the original purchase screenshot (note dates) and the email I received yesterday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230418_055147_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_055147_Chrome.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_20230418_055244_AOL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_055244_AOL.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 177

GlassMunky

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call your credit card company and make a claim. They will almost always side with the cardholder.
and even if they don’t it will put a hold on the money and then the seller is forced to talk to you.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to know about AquaSD..most of there stuff is imported from ocean farms and are NOT tank acclimated / aquaculture pieces. It takes a higher level of skill to take a piece directly from an ocean than one that is used to a tank. There is a VERY high mortality rate for ocean raised pieces and if you are not ready for that challenge, then AquaSD is probably not for you. I actually stopped buying from them for this exact reason. Not that they are a poor company..just I needed to buy some coral that was already successful in a reef tank environment as my mortality rate was dang near 100%. I actually found AquaSD to be a pretty stand up company so to hear them not following up is a bit surprising. More to the story?

Top Shelf Aquatics

testuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to know about AquaSD..most of there stuff is imported from ocean farms and are NOT tank acclimated / aquaculture pieces. It takes a higher level of skill to take a piece directly from an ocean than one that is used to a tank. There is a VERY high mortality rate for ocean raised pieces and if you are not ready for that challenge, then AquaSD is probably not for you. I actually stopped buying from them for this exact reason. Not that they are a poor company..just I needed to buy some coral that was already successful in a reef tank environment as my mortality rate was dang near 100%. I actually found AquaSD to be a pretty stand up company so to hear them not following up is a bit surprising. More to the story?
Hey, that's really interesting and I didn't realize that. They've been super helpful and good to me about replacements (maybe because I sound very new). They are providing a replacement for something that I didn't realize was DOA with my next order, after having it for a couple of weeks. While I do want to place another order with them down the line so I can get that replacement, it does sound like it is more difficult to raise coral from them.

With that being said, do you recommend any places that you like and offer namely aquacultured coral?

That may explain why it's been so difficult for me to keep most of my coral alive. I had one DOA, my Duncan lasted a while and shrunk up (probably due to my nitrate and phosphate levels) and a zoa covered in algae that just barely opened and then wasted away.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be fair here. I've completely stopped buying any Euphalia. No matter where it comes from it will eventually succumb to BJD at some point. Could be a month or a year but it happens. I feel it's one of those things like aiptasia or vermetid snails that's so prevalent in the hobby that no matter how cautious you are there's no way to avoid it.I'm no expert by any means but I've got 2 large systems full of asd coral and yes some die but so do the ones I buy local. Coral is a gamble no matter where it comes from or who raised it. The way I look at this hobby you can either go to Vegas or buy coral. The odds of success are about the same.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
TJDSEKULA

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, the initial coral I bought died before they shipped it. The original order date was Jan 24 2022. Their original response was that they don't offer refunds but would give me a credit or ship a replacement when they got another of the same coral. I opted for the same coral since that was what I wanted. Three times I was contacted and told that they had my replacement ready if I purchased another shipping module they would send it. Three times I placed an order with a handful of other items to combine shipping and my replacement was forgotten to be added, sold in store by accident, died etc. I really don't care why, I just didn't recieve it. I finally recieved the doa replacement but bc it shipped poor and wasn't 100% dead (it arrived on the 15th but all flesh wasn't gone untill the 17th) they stated it exceeded their doa policy. Kaleb sent his sincerest apologies that the owner was not willing to do more for me and offered some free frags on my next order. I was waiting for a final decision on the situation and giving them a chance to make it right before saying anything but the original purchase was Jan 2022 and its now April 2023. I was essentially told that they can't
Just to be fair here. I've completely stopped buying any Euphalia. No matter where it comes from it will eventually succumb to BJD at some point. Could be a month or a year but it happens. I feel it's one of those things like aiptasia or vermetid snails that's so prevalent in the hobby that no matter how cautious you are there's no way to avoid it.I'm no expert by any means but I've got 2 large systems full of asd coral and yes some die but so do the ones I buy local. Coral is a gamble no matter where it comes from or who raised it. The way I look at this hobby you can either go to Vegas or buy coral. The odds of success are about the same.
Well, I have cypro treated my reef and no longer have bj issues. I also cypro dip new coral (legit 5 min dip never had an issue with negative effects). I now have a great success rate with euphlia to give you an idea.. here's a current fts.

deliver what was promised bc they had issues with that coral being a poor shipper so they gave it one try to humor me and that's it. If that was the original issue I should have been refunded the purchase, I understand the only store credit policy if this was a doa but not on a coral that died before they shipped that they are now not shipping anymore since their experience is that it ships poor.. the coral in question was an aussie gold torch btw not something super crazy that can't survive in a home reef.

Attachments

• 20230316_195427.jpg
    20230316_195427.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
TJDSEKULA

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that's really interesting and I didn't realize that. They've been super helpful and good to me about replacements (maybe because I sound very new). They are providing a replacement for something that I didn't realize was DOA with my next order, after having it for a couple of weeks. While I do want to place another order with them down the line so I can get that replacement, it does sound like it is more difficult to raise coral from them.

With that being said, do you recommend any places that you like and offer namely aquacultured coral?

That may explain why it's been so difficult for me to keep most of my coral alive. I had one DOA, my Duncan lasted a while and shrunk up (probably due to my nitrate and phosphate levels) and a zoa covered in algae that just barely opened and then wasted away.
My new go to suppliers are pacificeastaquaculture (Dr Mac is great to deal with and there's lots that's Aquacultured they have a huge farm).
The other big one for euphlia and softies is queen city coral, Kevin has been great to deal with and very prompt if there is a doa etc. Some of his stock is aquacultured but not all, if you ask he is honest and responsive and will even hold an order to ensure stability etc. Both pac east and qcc do sps as well it's just hit and miss if they have stock listed but both of these suppliers can be contacted and will help find you specific pieces etc.
For sps coral specifically i love battle corals and coral euphoria both are aquacultured and they specialize specifically in sps.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new go to suppliers are pacificeastaquaculture (Dr Mac is great to deal with and there's lots that's Aquacultured they have a huge farm).
The other big one for euphlia and softies is queen city coral, Kevin has been great to deal with and very prompt if there is a doa etc. Some of his stock is aquacultured but not all, if you ask he is honest and responsive and will even hold an order to ensure stability etc. Both pac east and qcc do sps as well it's just hit and miss if they have stock listed but both of these suppliers can be contacted and will help find you specific pieces etc.
For sps coral specifically i love battle corals and coral euphoria both are aquacultured and they specialize specifically in sps.
I would look at @SBB Corals and @Battlecorals if you are looking at sps and lps. You will not find a finer vendor out there with tank raised corals.

Nutramar Foods

kdogginz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear that, I would definitely be upset too. I was planning on getting some yellow hammers from them but decided against it and I'm glad I did after seeing un-doctored photos from other people. Not sure if you are still looking for an Aussie gold but Queen City Corals may have some and I was told they are aquacultured. I purchased one a couple of months ago and it has been doing great.

OP
OP
TJDSEKULA

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely realize this, I understand the risk but expect the coral I order to be shipped in a normal time frame and arrive alive. But..I honestly didn't mind the time frame, I'm in this hobby long term and don't mind waiting for a specific piece to be found, how ever after 15mos I feel like they just waited for my credit card refund dispute policy to be out side it's frame frame and sent somthing in poor condition. If they even met me half way and issued a partial store credit I'd have accepted it. But to blatantly say they aren't sourcing this coral anymore due to high mortality but they tried once so I get nothing is pretty low.

OP
OP
TJDSEKULA

TJDSEKULA

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, I would definitely be upset too. I was planning on getting some yellow hammers from them but decided against it and I'm glad I did after seeing un-doctored photos from other people. Not sure if you are still looking for an Aussie gold but Queen City Corals may have some and I was told they are aquacultured. I purchased one a couple of months ago and it has been doing great.
Yes qcc is great Kevin dosent usually deal in aussies but he is actually sourcing one special for me and is adding others to the site from that shipment.. at least I'm confident that he handles doa well and tries to make things right.

World Wide Corals

125tank

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm astounded that they applied the no refund policy on dead corals before shipment. That's literally borderline fraud. I understand if they had shipped it then they may have an excuse, but no way they have the rights to other people's money just because they f'd it up.

I would have no issue calling the credit card company and explain/submit your documents. Any sensible human being would side with you here.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several times to work with them on repeated issue with hardly any success. If anything, it has costed me more money in shipping modules and other corals I didn't really want just to meet the minimum, so they could send me the replacement coral they promised every time. The last time, only the bag and plug arrived. I'm taking my losses and calling it a day. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Lesson learned.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back