Worm under new chalice

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad picture, noticed it tonight after feeding mysis. I had noticed after 2 days what looked like brown snail poop pushing out from under the chalice. Tonight saw the worm come out to get some mysis. It appeared to be clear/white in color, smooth, I didn't notice anything special - looked like a garden worm. Will the chalice overgrow it?

I always dip and remove from plugs. There was mini plug in between the chalice and plug which I left... will try to dip again tomorrow. From popular online vendor so have doubts its anything "bad"...

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 10.14.57 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 10.13.17 PM.png

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have a tiny syringe ?

When Underwater in the dip mixture suck some medicine water up and inject that hole. It it possible the hole is so small the worm is blocking the dip from entering. I have had success with this method. They come out fast when their safe spot gets flooded with coralrx or revive

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a tiny syringe ?

When Underwater in the dip mixture suck some medicine water up and inject that hole. It it possible the hole is so small the worm is blocking the dip from entering. I have had success with this method. They come out fast when their safe spot gets flooded with coralrx or revive
Thanks for the suggestion! I gave it a shot but no dice :(

I could see either the worm, or another, on the opposite side under the chalice. I'm hoping it grows over it...

Does anyone have an ID? would be super helpful

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 7.44.09 AM.png

Last edited:

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you grab it with tweezers? We all get infected with some nuisance by popular online vendors. Lol. Until it’s ID’d I’d never assume it’s safe. Last worm I found under a chalice was a flat worm.

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you grab it with tweezers? We all get infected with some nuisance by popular online vendors. Lol. Until it’s ID’d I’d never assume it’s safe. Last worm I found under a chalice was a flat worm.
Yikes!!

I'll give it a shot but when I tried to suction it up it hides quick... it would probably tear with tweezers. thankfully its living under the chalice not inside it...

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion! I gave it a shot but no dice :(

I could see either the worm, or another, on the opposite side under the chalice. I'm hoping it grows over it...

Does anyone have an ID? would be super helpful

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 7.44.09 AM.png
looks like a bristle worm but could be wrong

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note my tank is BB with frag racks and everything is on 3" disks so I can take it out as many times as needed to dip, etc...

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have not used any of those. I can’t say how they compare to other products.

I will say I have had good results using coralrx and revive on worm rocks.

Also I am very paranoid, I just lost a massive chalice for unknown reasons. My water tests great. I grew this from a frag to 7-8” over the last 1.5 years. Then I lost the entire colony over the last few weeks. I don’t know if things under a chalice will bother them, but this was the bottom of my raja rampage after I removed it this morning. I know it’s a stretch but I wonder if this web like substance (sponge maybe?) was irritating the coral from below or internally

Attachments

• 257D59AD-FA26-4606-9AB5-76ABD34C5D57.jpeg
    257D59AD-FA26-4606-9AB5-76ABD34C5D57.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used any of those. I can’t say how they compare to other products.

I will say I have had good results using coralrx and revive on worm rocks.

Also I am very paranoid, I just lost a massive chalice for unknown reasons. My water tests great. I grew this from a frag to 7-8” over the last 1.5 years. Then I lost the entire colony over the last few weeks. I don’t know if things under a chalice will bother them, but this was the bottom of my raja rampage after I removed it this morning. I know it’s a stretch but I wonder if this web like substance (sponge maybe?) was irritating the coral from below or internally
Dang, I'm really sorry to hear that! That picture is crazy! Sometimes it happens though; I've seen pictures of your tank and its super impressive

Thanks for the suggestion on the dip, I got some CoralRX and will try a dip today. Good news is I have not seen anything since the dip yesterday, no movement at night and no "poop" pile.

I was under the impression dips only irritated so they would come off, do they actively kill? If so that would be great if I managed to get some solution under to the worm.

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: tried CoralRx and make sure I pushed it under, no luck. Saw the worm tonight again. It's super fast when shoots back and does not seem to leave the coral.

Put some mysis further down and tried to suction out but did not work

Options now to trap or try to glue it all in...

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back