Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya i find they grow and color up just fine. I actually have 4 xr30w that i got used for a giveaway price. I use 2 of them on one of my tanks but almost everything else are knockoff stuff(orphek led bar knockoffs, noopsyches, kessil a360 knockoffs, some 50w "spotlight" lights i am trying). Also have one legit kessil a360 i won at a raffle. I find they all grow coral and can color up coral with no issue whatsoever. My xr30 are probably least favorite of the bunch and have ordered a couple promising looking lights from china i may be replacing them with.

The biggest issue in any of the knockoffs or discount brands for me is usually controllability. Usually the apps are less user friendly. In something like the vipar there is no ability to ramp up/ramp down/etc which is the reason i wont buy more of them. Other knockoffs do have this ability though. Below is some of my coral under my vipar as example.

View attachment 2576314View attachment 2576315
Haha this is amazing. I love it.

Any downsides worth mentioning?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any recommendations for lights that don’t get hung over the tank (just to avoid spillover)? I was looking at the Fluval marine light but wasn’t sure which one would be good for a 40B

I can get you info on some direct from china orphek knockoffs that sit on tank with legs(similar to ones you can find on ebay but not the same) if you are interested.

Corals.com

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha this is amazing. I love it.

Any downsides worth mentioning?
Main downside is what i mentioned on limited ability to program(no ramping). Other thing is the whites adjust from 1-100% in theory. In reality the 1% is a ton of par so it is hard to get a very limited amount of white if you want that

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are versions with wifi or bluetooth, with app from where u controll it.

Its better but still limited way, at least u have ability to turn on-off on time, and ramp up-down.

All of them that i see works on 0-255 tuning, rather than 0-100%, so, on my lights is actualy 5% incesement, meaning u cant set power to channel lower than 5%, or increase by 1%....

This is really not a big problem, i keep mines at 255 blue channels and 50 white channel, wich is roughly 20%....

Like i said, best thing is to replace unecessary white,reds,greens, yellows that are usually on white channel with more blues, royal blues and uv diodes, to maximize par on blues.....

Top Shelf Aquatics

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par meters are wicked expensive! If going that route I'd just buy a more proven light (used) and save some money.

This will probably work, but be careful as you dial it in! Easy to cook corals!
Does BRS still rent PAR meters? I have seen a bunch of their videos that mention renting a PAR meter for $50 but when I looked on their website, I could not find such an offering.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does BRS still rent PAR meters? I have seen a bunch of their videos that mention renting a PAR meter for $50 but when I looked on their website, I could not find such an offering.
They have a deal where you can buy a par meter and return it within 60 days for a $50 restocking fee. They explicitly say that they do this instead of renting. They then sell the used par meters at a discount. It feels like you're breaking the rules, but the brs team talks about this at length on the brs podcast. Give them a call to confirm!!

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two reef shops in Mobile, AL that rent par meters.
Which two shops are these?

Not that I need a PAR meter myself. I still don't have any fish in my tank and do not plan on having corals at all in this tank. I just have a T8 fluorescent light.

AS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back