+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Maybe I should have bought large established zoa colonies … anyway, I chose to buy frags some of which are (and they were very cheap…) tiny with only a few polyps. They came on tiny pieces of rock. So, how will they grow? Are they best left on the shallow sand bed? Or put on rock ledges to hopefully spread and encrust? What will get them to grow as best they can? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Maybe I should have bought large established zoa colonies … anyway, I chose to buy frags some of which are (and they were very cheap…) tiny with only a few polyps. They came on tiny pieces of rock. So, how will they grow? Are they best left on the shallow sand bed? Or put on rock ledges to hopefully spread and encrust? What will get them to grow as best they can? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Just wedge those little rocks into your rockwork and they will spread to surrounding rock.

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Find a spot you want them in, monitor. If they open up and like where they’re placed you can glue them (the rock/frag) down. Once established they’ll slowly start to encrust and start a colony.

Nutramar Foods

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both. Is there a harmless glue to use? How about that Milliput 2 part putty like stuff?
Any of the thick gel control Cyanoacrylate superglues will work.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will spread! Like wildfire if you let them- so isolate them in a place where you can control them; unless youre going for a zoa-tank! :D

We removed all our coral to have a FOWLR tank for a while.. Now i have an 'utter chaos' tank :cool:

Off topic - Bearded Collie or Old English?

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will spread! Like wildfire if you let them- so isolate them in a place where you can control them; unless youre going for a zoa-tank! :D

We removed all our coral to have a FOWLR tank for a while.. Now i have an 'utter chaos' tank :cool:

Off topic - Bearded Collie or Old English?
Sorry. Only just seen your question. Our beautiful bearded collie Bonnie.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Join the movement!
Back