+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an old biocube 16 that the leds have stopped working in. It's old, but i've kept the live rock alive after I had a tank crash and have now finally started to reconsider getting back into it and bringing it back to life. Had it going for the whole life of a clownfish (14 years and 6 moves) until I finally lost the clown and things broke down after that. I've finished mourning and have acquired funds.

So an aquarium and stand doesn't end up in a landfill, I'm considering refurbing leds into my biocube 16 instead of just getting another one even though I could probably afford it at the moment. I would really like to keep the stock external appearance with closed hood. What are the best led's I could possibly put in it? I'm not an electrician so I'll probably be having someone else install it.

I found these on ebay. It's an 80 watt retrofit kit where the guy installs them into the hood for me. It would come with the optional controller. Do y'all think SPS could grow under these leds with appropriate water parameters? The install is apparently customizable to a certain extent so any recommendations on color temp, wattage, LED types/colors would be helpful. I'm not going to try SPS right off the bat, but if I'm putting lights in, I wanna make sure I have the best even though I may not need them for the corals and creatures I choose initially.

Any other suggestions for a retrofit Biocube 16 led kit that keeps the stock external look would be welcome.

I have heard of Steve's LEDs, but their biocube 16 setup is on backorder and I haven't heard anything back from them after trying to contact for an ETA. I've tried contacting twice.

Top Shelf Aquatics

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have an old biocube 16 that the leds have stopped working in. It's old, but i've kept the live rock alive after I had a tank crash and have now finally started to reconsider getting back into it and bringing it back to life. Had it going for the whole life of a clownfish (14 years and 6 moves) until I finally lost the clown and things broke down after that. I've finished mourning and have acquired funds.

So an aquarium and stand doesn't end up in a landfill, I'm considering refurbing leds into my biocube 16 instead of just getting another one even though I could probably afford it at the moment. I would really like to keep the stock external appearance with closed hood. What are the best led's I could possibly put in it? I'm not an electrician so I'll probably be having someone else install it.

I found these on ebay. It's an 80 watt retrofit kit where the guy installs them into the hood for me. It would come with the optional controller. Do y'all think SPS could grow under these leds with appropriate water parameters? The install is apparently customizable to a certain extent so any recommendations on color temp, wattage, LED types/colors would be helpful. I'm not going to try SPS right off the bat, but if I'm putting lights in, I wanna make sure I have the best even though I may not need them for the corals and creatures I choose initially.

Any other suggestions for a retrofit Biocube 16 led kit that keeps the stock external look would be welcome.

I have heard of Steve's LEDs, but their biocube 16 setup is on backorder and I haven't heard anything back from them after trying to contact for an ETA. I've tried contacting twice.

That's crazy expensive, why not go with a reputable manufacturer?

World Wide Corals

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Ai Prime would be good
Thats what I would say 2 for the price range, but that light will have better spread than one ai prime... :( but I would do more research because I don't know anything about it..

Top Shelf Aquatics

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for gas exchange, heat dissipation and the difficulty finding a light, all the humidity that builds up on the lid and the light.

I also don't like lids, or small tanks for sps systems. I only don't like small tanks because I can't successfully keep them not that I don't like them. I've tried....:(

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for gas exchange, heat dissipation and the difficulty finding a light, all the humidity that builds up on the lid and the light.

I also don't like lids, or small tanks for sps systems. I only don't like small tanks because I can't successfully keep them not that I don't like them. I've tried....:(
gotcha, I have young kids, so a lid is pretty much mandatory so I don't end up with playdoh, a stray flying toy or small drone, or milk in the tank. Also my wife prefers the closed lid look which pretty much means I do too, haha. I enjoy not having to top off water as frequently, but that's not the primary reason.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha, I have young kids, so a lid is pretty much mandatory so I don't end up with playdoh, a stray flying toy or small drone, or milk in the tank. Also my wife prefers the closed lid look which pretty much means I do too, haha. I enjoy not having to top off water as frequently, but that's not the primary reason.
Good luck :)

njreefkeeper

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To reiterate what others have said, regardless of the light you choose, it’s going to be an uphill battle trying to keep any SPS in a bio cube long term. Keeping the hood on makes it that much more difficult.

The game changes once you delve into SPS. The same chaotic, random flow that’s needed by a coral in a 4 foot tank doesn’t change once it’s in a small bio cube. The difference is that to get that amount of flow in a bio cube will look like a washing machine; fish barely able to find refuge, water surges splashing up onto the light hood and sand storms. If you can even keep sand still in a bio cube you definitely won’t have enough flow for SPS.

The amount of energy needed in lighting for SPS means other things that photosynthesize will proliferate as well…like algae. That same tank that previously did well with less light can all the sudden explode in algae once the par is amped up. Sure, you may be able to keep a baby tang in there for a year but why? And snails won’t keep up. Between the flow needed, the limited gas exchange a hood provides, the inability to keep good herbivorous fish in a good environment and be able to feed them well I’d opt out of SPS in this footprint unless it’s birdsnest seriatopora or montipora digitata/capricornis. These nano SPS systems are more work than a 180 gallon tank; and their filtration leaves a lot to be desired as well.

my .02

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your input. I finally ended up deciding on Steve's LEDs actually.

After moving my tank and installing new lighting in the hood, I would also like to thank y'all for convincing me I need a bigger tank haha. I'll see how this one goes and decide from there on the next tank in a few years.

BRS

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your input. I finally ended up deciding on Steve's LEDs actually.

After moving my tank and installing new lighting in the hood, I would also like to thank y'all for convincing me I need a bigger tank haha. I'll see how this one goes and decide from there on the next tank in a few years.
Do you have any pictures I've been curious about this one and what you would decide to do.

I'm glad you came up with your solution for what works for you.

Those leds looked very bright, how are they in person?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures I've been curious about this one and what you would decide to do.

I'm glad you came up with your solution for what works for you.

Those leds looked very bright, how are they in person?
You went with this correct?

Screenshot_20230207_170958_eBay.jpg

OP
OP
Biocube32

Biocube32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You went with this correct?

View attachment 3010833
I actually did not, although the ebay seller was very responsive and I was very intrigued by their product and impressed by their timely responses. Next biocube lighting I order will be from that seller.

What happened was I placed a Steve's LED's order in mid january... didnt hear anything for like 10 days (it had been marked backordered and the website said to reach out to them so I did reach out but it was a very delayed response), thought that maybe they weren't going to actually fill my order, so I started looking elsewhere. Then I found those ebay lights which I thought were awesome and posted on here. THEN wife was like well our life is pretty busy right now, do you really want to invest all that in a small tank when you are already short on time to maintain it.... so then i ordered the cheap replacement biocube lights for like $100 from amazon, and only after that did steve's FINALLY get back with me and ship the order. anyway so I ended up with steve's LEDs and I cancelled the amazon order before it shipped.

I'd be impressed if you kept up with that story. Anyhow, I have another thread i posted in DIY forum about my steve's leds if you want to check it out if you have any insight. I'm not sure what to do about it. Thanks. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'd prefer to have someone else install it in the future. I have fat fingers and those little screws are bothersome to me. I was petrified I'd break the darn thing.

Nutramar Foods

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY solution. . . buy 2 Fluval Marine Nano lights, drill a few holes in the lid, zip tie the lights to the inside. . . DONE! Those lights are pretty darn water proof so would probably be ok in the humidity. . . look on ebay, think you can get them for $60 new sometimes.

Scp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock lid will 100% grow SPS…. How do I know? I’ve done it. In fact, it works better than my prime and equal to the 26hd on another cube ……..Stylo/monti/digi/ birdsnest/ some acros like Miyagi tort .

now for the cons:
Very static light no shimmer
Trapped in heat (had to leave the feeding access door open)
Had to wipe down the inside light cover every days
Programming is kind of wonky and backwards

good luck

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ultimate Corals
Back