Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have told me that some softies (like xenia) will die off and come back. Will zoas do this? I've lost two clusters (out of 5) of zoas in the last few months. I thought it was water conditions, but my specs match what people post as healthy. I thought it was my lights (4x65w PC), but my shrooms, rics, leathers, torches and other zoas are doing fine. These zoas stopped opening and eventually turned a very dark color and seemed to disintigrate. Are they gone forever? Should I be shopping for new frags? Is there any common tank issue that I don't know about that may have killed them?

Top Shelf Aquatics

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have told me that some softies (like xenia) will die off and come back. Will zoas do this? I've lost two clusters (out of 5) of zoas in the last few months. I thought it was water conditions, but my specs match what people post as healthy. I thought it was my lights (4x65w PC), but my shrooms, rics, leathers, torches and other zoas are doing fine. These zoas stopped opening and eventually turned a very dark color and seemed to disintigrate. Are they gone forever? Should I be shopping for new frags? Is there any common tank issue that I don't know about that may have killed them?

Hello... and welcome to club-zoa.. :)

IME, I've never had any of my zoas die and come back.. once they're goners, they are gonerz... also, I've experienced unsolved mysteries with some zoas.. most of my zoas are doing well, then boom, all of a sudden one frag or colony will just slowly die... what has worked for me is when I see any sign of stress on my animals, I just do couple of 10%-15% water change every 3-4 days until everything goes back to normal..

good luck and keep us posted... hope this helped...

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
A

akaatomic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone, although the news isn't good. That predator link is great. Thank you. I didn't recognize any of them. I'll have to watch for them in the future. I thought that one of my blue legs may have been doing it, but I never caught one in the act. The other thought was that my tank is relatively young (just turning one year) and that something biological wasn't in balance yet. My water is clean, no nusence alae, 20% WC every two weeks, low bioload. It just bothers me when something dies and I have no idea what killed it. Hopefully, history won't repeat itself.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back