+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Could anyone tell me if there is a visual difference between captive bred and wild yellow tangs. I always thought that wild yellow tangs were brighter in color. However, recently I saw one that looked exactly like a captive bred one. If anyone has pictures, it would be appreciated. I tried google, but really didn't get much.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cheese Griller

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wild caught having more color than captive bred is more of a rumor. I've seen plenty of captive-bred specimens that get just as much color as wild-caught. Since captive-bred fish are often received as juveniles that have yet to color up, they get a reputation for being less colorful.

AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wild caught having more color than captive bred is more of a rumor. I've seen plenty of captive-bred specimens that get just as much color as wild-caught. Since captive-bred fish are often received as juveniles that have yet to color up, they get a reputation for being less colorful.
^^ This. Though I have a not seen an adult captive bred the ones that I have seen were pale but also very very small. They were almost translucent. That said, I did dump quite a bit on 2 Hawaiians that came into my LFS on trade a few months ago.

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever, or will only ever, have CB yellow tangs... and usually buy/judge fish based on health, utility, attitude towards others, and then looks. The differences on the latter are minuscule in this particular buying decision, in my personal opinion

Top Shelf Aquatics

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is, yellows should be coming back into the market in the not so distant future as it was included in the approved Hawaiian species.
Bad new is now they now how much hobbyists are willing to pay :astonished-face:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad new is now they now how much hobbyists are willing to pay :astonished-face:
Yeah...but they arent crazy priced from biota at, last I checked was 249. So once wilds flood the market I wouldn't be surprised to see them down to 100 a pop in a year.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey guys,

Could anyone tell me if there is a visual difference between captive bred and wild yellow tangs. I always thought that wild yellow tangs were brighter in color. However, recently I saw one that looked exactly like a captive bred one. If anyone has pictures, it would be appreciated. I tried google, but really didn't get much.
Both in juvenile state will have that clear effect. The one thing noted with the captive bred versus wild caught is that their white line on their body is less prominent than wild caught and hints of white on the facial area.

This is wild caught:
1677612230624.png

These are some of mine is which the white line is more noticeable.

1677612367553.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Unpopular opinion over here… ALL yellow tangs are overrated. Go for a Yellow Longbose Butterlfy if you have the room for a yellow, they’re worth everything and honestly, they’re just as reef safe as eachother, I’ve seen both species quite often go for certain corals (Usually Fleshy LPS).

OP
OP
Ameer214

Ameer214

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news is, yellows should be coming back into the market in the not so distant future as it was included in the approved Hawaiian species.

Both in juvenile state will have that clear effect. The one thing noted with the captive bred versus wild caught is that their white line on their body is less prominent than wild caught and hints of white on the facial area.

This is wild caught:
View attachment 3043190

These are some of mine is which the white line is more noticeable.

View attachment 3043191
okay, I thought the wild ones have a less prominent white line on the body. You are saying that actually it is the opposite.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
okay, I thought the wild ones have a less prominent white line on the body. You are saying that actually it is the opposite.
I actually have it backwards- Captive is a brighter white line ( and I even attached pics.. . . LOL )

OP
OP
Ameer214

Ameer214

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have it backwards- Captive is a brighter white line ( and I even attached pics.. . . LOL )
okay. That aligns with my observations. What about the yellowness. I thought captive were a bit more greenish yellow (lemon). The wild ones look more of a true yellow. Do you see that with your tangs?

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
okay. That aligns with my observations. What about the yellowness. I thought captive were a bit more greenish yellow (lemon). The wild ones look more of a true yellow. Do you see that with your tangs?
Mine are and have always been a bright yellow. As captive bred mature, they too are yellow- cant say Ive seen a greenish pigment

adittam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred and wild caught can both look pale and sickly or bright and vibrant. Depends on diet and health, not where they were bred.

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unpopular opinion over here… ALL yellow tangs are overrated. Go for a Yellow Longbose Butterlfy if you have the room for a yellow, they’re worth everything and honestly, they’re just as reef safe as eachother, I’ve seen both species quite often go for certain corals (Usually Fleshy LPS).
Many people buy Yellow tangs not only because of color, but because they are herbivores. Longnose butterflyfish is carnivore.

Nutramar Foods

s_spowart

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to only buy captive bred of everything, although that makes it hard to populate the tank, especially when you have to take the stores word for it, and not much is captive bred.

As far as visual appearance is concerned, I don't think there is any difference at all. If you caught a wild fish as a baby it would look like the ones that turn up in our shops tank bred.

However, some tNk bred specimens of some species tend to be less picky for food, for example sea horses will only take live food as wild, but captive bred are more used to frozen food.
It may also result in less aggression among fish like Tangs, although I cant confirm that.

I only take captive bred to reduce my impact on wild populations, and to encourage the breeders to produce more species in the hobby.

adittam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to only buy captive bred of everything, although that makes it hard to populate the tank, especially when you have to take the stores word for it, and not much is captive bred.

As far as visual appearance is concerned, I don't think there is any difference at all. If you caught a wild fish as a baby it would look like the ones that turn up in our shops tank bred.

However, some tNk bred specimens of some species tend to be less picky for food, for example sea horses will only take live food as wild, but captive bred are more used to frozen food.
It may also result in less aggression among fish like Tangs, although I cant confirm that.

I only take captive bred to reduce my impact on wild populations, and to encourage the breeders to produce more species in the hobby.
If you buy directly from Biota, you know they're captive bred. Also *drastically* reduces the risk for disease.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back