• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Why I will never buy from a product from Aqua Illumination again

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion and I will explain it the best I can and as short as I can.

To start off one day I noticed that my Nero 5 was making a whine from the power brick. It’s not super loud but it’s loud enough I can hear it from across the room. I figured it was just the power brick so I contacted AI for a warranty claim (pump is only a few months old at the time) I explained what the issue was and they said they will send me a new power brick and I have to pay shipping cause I’m in Canada. I didn’t like the fact I had to (considering it was $50 CAD) but I understood. I get the new power brick in and it’s still making the whine so I email the customer service rep back and explain and he says I will have to send it in for repair and I won’t have to pay labour only for parts (I shouldn’t have to pay for anything due to it being under warranty) I explained to him I couldn’t send it in because I can’t go that long without flow in my tank and we would need to come up with another solution. After lots of emails back and fourth he said he will send me a new driver and cover shipping. I was very happy to hear this and figured all was good.

The new drive arrives, I put it in and it’s still making the noise. This is now 1 and a half months from when I first contacted them. I let it be for a few weeks thinking maybe it will go away in time but it didn’t. Started another warranty claim explaining everything and the guy still said I had to send it in. I thought enough is enough and I called them asking to speak to a manager and they told me that a manager would get back to me. Almost a whole day later a manager gets back to me and still says that I have to send it in. At this point I’m furious because I’ve said multiple times I can’t send it in. He emails me and says he will send a new power supply and driver and says “if for some reason you are still having issues with this shipment you will need to send everything back to our repair centre before any other replacements are shipped” I figured finally we are getting somewhere. New power supply and driver arrive and still whining. I tell him it’s still making the noise and he says that I need to send the pump in again. I explain to him in his original email he said I would have to send all parts back before any replacements are sent out and he argues saying he meant something else.

Now I’m stuck with a pump that’s making a very irrating noise and they can’t help me. I’ve talked to other people and they said that AI has sent them replacements and they have to ship their old one back but for some reason since I’m in Canada I’m stuck with it. It’s really sad that a company as big as AI has customer service this terrible, I’ve had issues with Neptune products and their customer service is top notch. I will for sure never buy anything from AI again and I will warn beginners to stay far away from them. Sorry for the long read but wanted to get it out there
If you read this far, thank you

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion and I will explain it the best I can and as short as I can.

To start off one day I noticed that my Nero 5 was making a whine from the power brick. It’s not super loud but it’s loud enough I can hear it from across the room. I figured it was just the power brick so I contacted AI for a warranty claim (pump is only a few months old at the time) I explained what the issue was and they said they will send me a new power brick and I have to pay shipping cause I’m in Canada. I didn’t like the fact I had to (considering it was $50 CAD) but I understood. I get the new power brick in and it’s still making the whine so I email the customer service rep back and explain and he says I will have to send it in for repair and I won’t have to pay labour only for parts (I shouldn’t have to pay for anything due to it being under warranty) I explained to him I couldn’t send it in because I can’t go that long without flow in my tank and we would need to come up with another solution. After lots of emails back and fourth he said he will send me a new driver and cover shipping. I was very happy to hear this and figured all was good.

The new drive arrives, I put it in and it’s still making the noise. This is now 1 and a half months from when I first contacted them. I let it be for a few weeks thinking maybe it will go away in time but it didn’t. Started another warranty claim explaining everything and the guy still said I had to send it in. I thought enough is enough and I called them asking to speak to a manager and they told me that a manager would get back to me. Almost a whole day later a manager gets back to me and still says that I have to send it in. At this point I’m furious because I’ve said multiple times I can’t send it in. He emails me and says he will send a new power supply and driver and says “if for some reason you are still having issues with this shipment you will need to send everything back to our repair centre before any other replacements are shipped” I figured finally we are getting somewhere. New power supply and driver arrive and still whining. I tell him it’s still making the noise and he says that I need to send the pump in again. I explain to him in his original email he said I would have to send all parts back before any replacements are sent out and he argues saying he meant something else.

Now I’m stuck with a pump that’s making a very irrating noise and they can’t help me. I’ve talked to other people and they said that AI has sent them replacements and they have to ship their old one back but for some reason since I’m in Canada I’m stuck with it. It’s really sad that a company as big as AI has customer service this terrible, I’ve had issues with Neptune products and their customer service is top notch. I will for sure never buy anything from AI again and I will warn beginners to stay far away from them. Sorry for the long read but wanted to get it out there
If you read this far, thank you
Not too comment on your experience with this company but have you checked your current? Canada and the USA are the same but sounds like you may have an overvoltage issue here. The next step for me is off the deep end so I will defer to an electrician for further advice.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like when anyone on here is complaining about AI it is the nero pumps... i have AI lights and they work fine... i feel like it is the pumps that are faulty. i haven't seen any other complaints about anything except the nero pumps

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too comment on your experience with this company but have you checked your current? Canada and the USA are the same but sounds like you may have an overvoltage issue here. The next step for me is off the deep end so I will defer to an electrician for further advice.
I have a Nero 3 and it works fine so it could be that but I could always check it to make sure

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like when anyone on here is complaining about AI it is the nero pumps... i have AI lights and they work fine... i feel like it is the pumps that are faulty. i haven't seen any other complaints about anything except the nero pumps
I have a Nero 3 as well as two hydra 32HD the lights haven’t had any issues so far but the Nero also has a issue where it won’t start once it shuts off. I should have gotten a different brand

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks! Only ai equipment I have are 12 16hds. They were very helpfull when I had one that was not the same intensity as the others.

That said you should always have a backup pump for every pump in your system.

Take a look at Jeabo pumps. They are cheap enough that I have 2 extra for every one I run.

On top of that the controler is better than my Tunze controler.

They move alot of water. They have been reliable and I have some running for over 4 years now.

Currently I run 5 in 3 different systems.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks! Only ai equipment I have are 12 16hds. They were very helpfull when I had one that was not the same intensity as the others.

That said you should always have a backup pump for every pump in your system.

Take a look at Jeabo pumps. They are cheap enough that I have 2 extra for every one I run.

On top of that the controler is better than my Tunze controler.

They move alot of water. They have been reliable and I have some running for over 4 years now.

Currently I run 5 in 3 different systems.
I keep hearing about jeabo so I will have to take a look at them, I have a spare return pump but never thought about wavemakers. Thank you

Poochaku

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primes are infamous for burning out their lenses

Nutramar Foods

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 nero 3's, the only time they whine is when the pump itself is stuck and the controller is trying to start it, they whine a bit, but then error out.

They've sent you 2 power bricks, and 2 drivers, and yet you still complain about CS because you have to send it in for repair? Give me, and this company a break. They have bent over backwards to try and help you, but the crux of the issue is YOU don't want to send them in for repair so their CS must be bad. Give me a break.

In your eyes they should just send you a new pump free of charge without sending the other back? Yeah companies that work that way, aren't in business for very long.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read your thread and it seems that you are getting good customer service. The company has tried everything except for you to return all equipment for analysis. They worked around your demands the best they can. Your refusal to let them assist you further is not a problem with there customer service. That's on you. The sooner you return the unit, the sooner the problem goes away.

It really sucks when pumps go out. For return pumps. You always want backup. For flow pumps redundacy is a good idea in tank for this reason.

If flow in tank is that important to you while you send yours back. Just get a maxijet which comes with flow kit and put in tank temporarily while yours gets fixed. In US I think they are 35 bucks. This way you will have a backup too.

Don't let the small things get you all worked up. They are trying to help. So let them. Push the bad ideas you have about the issue aside and let them make it right. Enjoy your reef and life.

Happy reefing

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hankcorals

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy a cheap Jebao or something to get you by while you send it in for repairs. I have yet to purchase Nero due to the mixed reviews on them. I bought an MP10 and have never had a single issue. Easier to clean and much better look in the tank with no wires. Imo

Reefing102

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with some of the others here and it seems you’ve received great customer service. I personally have never heard of a company that first sent the replacement before the customer sending in their part (at least not in recent memory). I would Amazon a cheap Jebao or buy a maxi jet from the LFS and go from there

Top Shelf Aquatics

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sent you multiple bricks and drivers, at some point you need to help the situation and send the items in to be checked out.

maybe, just maybe, it might be the way you have the items installed.

when you buy the item that has a warranty, you have to operate in good faith and follow the warranty as stated.

The only thing I disagree with, is AI charging shipping. They made the choice to sell items in Canada, the user shouldn’t be charged to ship warranty items.

at this point, they should offer a replacement, and OP should only be charged for a new item if his original is found to operating as designed

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 nero 3's, the only time they whine is when the pump itself is stuck and the controller is trying to start it, they whine a bit, but then error out.

They've sent you 2 power bricks, and 2 drivers, and yet you still complain about CS because you have to send it in for repair? Give me, and this company a break. They have bent over backwards to try and help you, but the crux of the issue is YOU don't want to send them in for repair so their CS must be bad. Give me a break.

In your eyes they should just send you a new pump free of charge without sending the other back? Yeah companies that work that way, aren't in business for very long.
And where did I say I wouldn’t ship the old one back? I told them I would gladly pay shipping both ways and got no where. Just because I don’t like a company you do doesn’t mean you gotta get ticked off.

This is exactly why I wasn’t sure to post this thread or not on here, I’m not one to go make a big deal about things but this was absurd to me. When you spend over $300 of your own money you worked for and to not get good customer service? Yes that is ridiculous, if it was a $50 pump I wouldn’t expect them to do much. I appreciate your point of view tho

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back