Why does Apex Salinity Randomly Shoot Up?

AI Nero 5

Morpheosz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why this happens occasionally/randomly? Sometimes it's because bubbles get caught under the probe and I tap the probe a few times and it returns to the proper reading but other times there is no discernible reason. I woke up this morning and from 1am till the morning it went from a stable reading of around 36 up to 42. I tapped it out and it went up this time to 45. And yes, I double checked with refractometer, it's still dead on 35.

1684067497159.png

1684067664671.png

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the main reason I have resisted having electronic monitors in my system; the probes are a huge source of testing error and I would worry that it could set off the ATO if they were linked and cause problems beyond their usefulness.
I do have temperature and pH(CO2) controllers but even those cause me angst but nothing beats out being on scene to check and adjust for issues when they arise.

Someone must have a better understanding of what’s happening specifically with your situation. You may have to replace the sensor.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear
This is the main reason I have resisted having electronic monitors in my system; the probes are a huge source of testing error and I would worry that it could set off the ATO if they were linked and cause problems beyond their usefulness.
I do have temperature and pH(CO2) controllers but even those cause me angst but nothing beats out being on scene to check and adjust for issues when they arise.

Someone must have a better understanding of what’s happening specifically with your situation. You may have to replace the sensor.
I hear you. In my case it's exclusively been salinity that has been touchy over the past 18 months. Works great 99% of the time, but once in a while it just takes off in the upward direction, usually for no discernible reason. Bubbles are the only cause I've found that I can easily fix but my probe is now in a spot where unless some maintenance is happening, there's no chance of getting bubbles in it randomly.

Corals.com
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back