Why Do So Many People Get Fixated On Particular Corals and Fish that are "Popular" at the Time?

BRS

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me sometimes how many posts i see talking about particular fish and corals that seem to be everyone's favorite or for some reason a "must have" for every tank. (Yellow tangs and now torches, particularly tiger torches come to mind). I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but doesn't it seem like the "eye of the beholder" is being swayed heavily by marketing tactics and other similar things? Personally i always thought the coolest thing about a marine aquarium was the endless variety of organisms you can stock it with and make it your own little world. (That's what I try to do by seeking out rare and unusual species.) I'm definitely not trying to tell anyone what should go in their tank btw but isn't there something extra special about your tank being as unique as possible instead of what the "typical" tank is in everyone's mind? Just a random thought i had...don't take it too seriously...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does Apple, Google, and Samsung release new phones every year?

Why are there new cars every year?

Why do fashion companies make billions every year?

It is human nature and marketing works
They release new phones every year with new capabilities and updates that make things more convenient.
There will always be new cars because old cars break down.
Fashion companies i agree are sheer marketing but also an art form.
I agree though with your summary statement that marketing works wonders and some people can't help but getting roped in. I guess it just comes down to what your idea of an amazing tank is. I'm not saying anything negative about the status quo as it is what it is and always will be there. I guess my goals just vary from others which is fine for both me and the others.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have just learned the most important lesson from Marketing 101. It's what the advertising hypes.

I will say I've never been as infatuated as most with yellow Tangs. There are much nicer zebrasomas, IMO.

Euphyllias have ALWAYS been very popular, but the new color morphs on the torches are recent and that's why they're as popular as they are. I used to give away green frogspawn and hammer back 10+ years ago because it was so prolific and everyone had it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
You have just learned the most important lesson from Marketing 101. It's what the advertising hypes.

I will say I've never been as infatuated as most with yellow Tangs. There are much nicer zebrasomas, IMO.

Euphyllias have ALWAYS been very popular, but the new color morphs on the torches are recent and that's why they're as popular as they are. I used to give away green frogspawn and hammer back 10+ years ago because it was so prolific and everyone had it.
It's just ironic because looking at the research it isn't simply supply and demand that drives this and similar hobbies, it's perceived value and rarity (which is intangible and debatable whether it really even exists)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AS

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

It's just ironic because looking at the research it isn't simply supply and demand that drives this and similar hobbies, it's perceived value and rarity (which is intangible and debatable whether it really even exists)
IMO it is human nature as others pointed out. By having the "popular" corals it makes people feel "included" in a certain group, the popular group, and that is what most people want. And diving into the "rarity" part of it, it gives many people the since of having something that many others don't have, which again, this drives a lot of people, even if they don't brag about it.
I was actually at a frag swap several years ago that was going up to the vendors and asking what their most expensive coral was and then buying them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it is human nature as others pointed out. By having the "popular" corals it makes people feel "included" in a certain group, the popular group, and that is what most people want. And diving into the "rarity" part of it, it gives many people the since of having something that many others don't have, which again, this drives a lot of people, even if they don't brag about it.
I was actually at a frag swap several years ago that was going up to the vendors and asking what their most expensive coral was and then buying them.
Wow...if only I could export some of the Lobos and other crazy coral color morphs we get in shops around here...

Stoney

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What marketing are you guys referring to? Unless you count good pictures as marketing, I'm not really seeing it. Yellow tangs and some of the new euphyllia look awesome. Sure some things are over hyped imo but I've never seen an ugly or even average looking coral being talked about like it's the next big thing.

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOMO. Once you have been around awhile you know those fancy corals will be cheap in a year...

That is mostly true. Scolys and other LPS that don't reproduce so easily have been expensive for many years. Now that Australia has changed the export rule from tonnage to actual coral count it is going to get even more expensive on some. Even some zoas have remained expensive even though they have been around for many years, Stratosheres is a good example.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...if only I could export some of the Lobos and other crazy coral color morphs we get in shops around here...

It is great being so close to the source. When Florida was open ricordia mushrooms were a hitchhiker on live rock and you could actually pay a dollar or two more per pound to get live rock with ricordia covering the rock. Now we pay $15 to $40 per ricordia.

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add that I find it interesting how people are drawn to rare fish, coral, etc. JUST because they are rare. This is by no means everyone, but I've seen plenty of threads and overhead plenty of LFS conversations where people ask for what the rarest thing is in the store, or how rare a certain fish is that they have in stock. Not so rare? All of a sudden that stunning Royal Gramma for $35 doesn't interest them anymore. But you're saying this otherwise unspectacular fish or coral is rare? Then they're interested.

I really don't understand it. When I see "cheap" fish like a gramma, firefish, etc. that I think are beautiful, that's a win-win, but there are undoubtedly folks out there who seem to just value the fact that they have something that others don't. By all means to each their own, but it seems like such a strange way to go about the hobby, to me at least.

Some food for thought- how much would that "cheap" fish on your tank go for if somehow it was considered rare? I'd pay a lot for a Royal Gramma in a world where that's the price it commanded. It's an interesting consideration, imo

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll also add that I find it interesting how people are drawn to rare fish, coral, etc. JUST because they are rare. This is by no means everyone, but I've seen plenty of threads and overhead plenty of LFS conversations where people ask for what the rarest thing is in the store, or how rare a certain fish is that they have in stock. Not so rare? All of a sudden that stunning Royal Gramma for $35 doesn't interest them anymore. But you're saying this otherwise unspectacular fish or coral is rare? Then they're interested.

I really don't understand it. When I see "cheap" fish like a gramma, firefish, etc. that I think are beautiful, that's a win-win, but there are undoubtedly folks out there who seem to just value the fact that they have something that others don't. By all means to each their own, but it seems like such a strange way to go about the hobby, to me at least.

Some food for thought- how much would that "cheap" fish on your tank go for if somehow it was considered rare? I'd pay a lot for a Royal Gramma in a world where that's the price it commanded. It's an interesting consideration, imo
For me at least, the allure towards a rare fish or coral is to make my tank more unique. Not necessarily because nobody else has it but i want to make something one of a kind that is my little piece of the ocean. I also love common fish and corals because of their beauty and wouldn't buy a fish or coral i found unattractive but rarity does add a certain element of uniqueness to an aquarium imo. I guess I'd use the term "exotic" more than rare although many people use them interchangeably. Anyway, i like to put things together or combine things that nobody has put together or designed before. It's similar to an architect who wants to build a structure never built before. He's not doing it just because nobody else has, he's doing it because it interests him and tbh i think deep down the vast majority of people want to stand out in some way and owning an exotic or rare pet is one way to stand out among a crowd.

cdw79

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me at least, the allure towards a rare fish or coral is to make my tank more unique. Not necessarily because nobody else has it but i want to make something one of a kind that is my little piece of the ocean. I also love common fish and corals because of their beauty and wouldn't buy a fish or coral i found unattractive but rarity does add a certain element of uniqueness to an aquarium imo. I guess I'd use the term "exotic" more than rare although many people use them interchangeably. Anyway, i like to put things together or combine things that nobody has put together or designed before. It's similar to an architect who wants to build a structure never built before. He's not doing it just because nobody else has, he's doing it because it interests him and tbh i think deep down the vast majority of people want to stand out in some way and owning an exotic or rare pet is one way to stand out among a crowd.
And I think that's completely different and makes a lot of sense to me. Like if I see an unusual color morph of a particular coral and it appeals to me, I'll definitely want that more than I would the more common one. It's different, unique, and gives the tank that extra bit of intrigue. I more mean for a small percentage of people who want things just because they are rare, with little else that goes into that thinking. For example, someone who is shown a pinstripe fairy wrasse (a gorgeous fish in its own right) and then a Squire's Fairy wrasse (similarly beautiful but virtually the same, minus the fact it's about 25-30x the price) and picks the latter not because he likes it more for its own attributes, but solely because it's more rare. For me buying something solely to be able to say I have it and you don't feels a bit shallow, and a strange approach to a hobby or life, but ultimately to each their own. I think we are coming from the same place, though

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back