Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having terrible luck with MP10 wet sides. The ceramic around the metal shaft keeps breaking off, making the wet side unusable and creating a ton of noise. I have two MP10s. Both ceramic shafts broke off. Ecotech replaced them under warranty in September. Now one of the 4 month old replacement wet sides did the same thing.

I clean them, disassembled, in citric acid every 4-8 weeks. I run them at 50% max. If I hear any noise at all I turn them off and take them out.

What am I doing wrong and how do I prevent this?

Avast

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having terrible luck with MP10 wet sides. The ceramic around the metal shaft keeps breaking off, making the wet side unusable and creating a ton of noise. I have two MP10s. Both ceramic shafts broke off. Ecotech replaced them under warranty in September. Now one of the 4 month old replacement wet sides did the same thing.

I clean them, disassembled, in citric acid every 4-8 weeks. I run them at 50% max. If I hear any noise at all I turn them off and take them out.

What am I doing wrong and how do I prevent this?
First things, how thick is the tank walls? 2nd, I would not do a total break down every couple months. 3rd, I understand what you are saying about the ceramic shaft, I did a break down and cleaning of the wetsides in my build thread, are you using anything to lubricate them?

I use this, which is the same as Ecotech

I have a spare set of wetsides so I do not overclean and overuse them. I simply switch out the wetsides on MP40's and store the cleaned wetsides until I need them again. I replace them every 4-6 months, depending on the algae growth on the wetsides.

Ecotech also sells lubricant for the Versas which is the same.

My breakdown of a new MP40 wetside, notice the lubricant.

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those ceramic shaft are so weak and Ecotech charges a premium for cheap builds.
I broke 2. fix it yourself with shrink tube and forget about replacing. It will be better built than Ecotech

OP
OP
B

BradVol

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things, how thick is the tank walls? 2nd, I would not do a total break down every couple months. 3rd, I understand what you are saying about the ceramic shaft, I did a break down and cleaning of the wetsides in my build thread, are you using anything to lubricate them?

Thanks. It's a Red Sea Reefer 170 with 10mm thickness on the glass. I only broke these down after a couple months because I was so afraid of the last ones giving up after not breaking them down. Guess I can't win on that one. I hadn't been using anything to lubricate them when I put them back together. Maybe that's where I screwed up after soaking them in citric acid?

I ordered Molykote 111 and also ordered the shrink wrap tubing to give that a shot. We will see how it goes.

I want to learn as much as anything. What are the odds that me cleaning the wet side and putting it back together without lubrication is what killed it?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's a Red Sea Reefer 170 with 10mm thickness on the glass. I only broke these down after a couple months because I was so afraid of the last ones giving up after not breaking them down. Guess I can't win on that one. I hadn't been using anything to lubricate them when I put them back together. Maybe that's where I screwed up after soaking them in citric acid?

I ordered Molykote 111 and also ordered the shrink wrap tubing to give that a shot. We will see how it goes.

I want to learn as much as anything. What are the odds that me cleaning the wet side and putting it back together without lubrication is what killed it?
Honestly, not sure, but fell lubricating them will help. I have found that the ceramic shift is thinner on the MP10's.

moz71

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy one again! For the price it’s crazy how many problems and maintenance this require. I went to the jabeo oumps and never have problems. Ended up throwing t all these out. Good luck

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy one again! For the price it’s crazy how many problems and maintenance this require. I went to the jabeo oumps and never have problems. Ended up throwing t all these out. Good luck
Ecotech is just a greedy little company. They haven't made any changes to the pumps but have upped the price of the by about $100 in past few years. I will never buy one again.

World Wide Corals
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back