Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered and Innovative Marine 150 lagoon, with a bean animal overflow system. I know I have to put gate valves on the primary and secondary overflow drains, but I cannot find 1-1/2'' gate valves for under $100. The only cheap ones I can find are the Valterra ones, would those work? Am I just not looking in the right place? Any advice or recommendations would be helpful!

Top Shelf Aquatics
Avast

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered and Innovative Marine 150 lagoon, with a bean animal overflow system. I know I have to put gate valves on the primary and secondary overflow drains, but I cannot find 1-1/2'' gate valves for under $100. The only cheap ones I can find are the Valterra ones, would those work? Am I just not looking in the right place? Any advice or recommendations would be helpful!
I purchased mine from Bulk Reef Supply and Lowes. They were reasonably priced.

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran inexpensive gate valves for years and never had any major issue. On my new build, I went with a Spears but, the tank isn't wet yet so I'm not able to tell you if it's made a big difference. Get a gate valve you can afford and go with that until you are able to go with a Spears valve later if that is the spot your in.

Nutramar Foods

Sdot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had similar question when i started my build a couple of years ago. What i found was the following:

Easier to adjust: Not that you will do this often, however over time i found the cheaper gate valve will "stick" meaning difficult to turn the adjustment handle over time.

In my experience they can develop a small leak around the adjustment knob. I cant think of the brand... but i did buy off of Amazon. I went with the more expensive spears and it works and operates the same as it did the day i glued it in. Just my 2 cents.

1672844412141.png

Champagnebrian

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had similar question when i started my build a couple of years ago. What i found was the following:

Easier to adjust: Not that you will do this often, however over time i found the cheaper gate valve will "stick" meaning difficult to turn the adjustment handle over time.

In my experience they can develop a small leak around the adjustment knob. I cant think of the brand... but i did buy off of Amazon. I went with the more expensive spears and it works and operates the same as it did the day i glued it in. Just my 2 cents.

View attachment 2959780
dang. Guy knows what he’s doing.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll eventually need to pull it and clean it(spiriod worms, snails crawls down it, etc). Pony up for the spears with unions, you'll thank me down the road when you need to clean it.

Sdot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll eventually need to pull it and clean it(spiriod worms, snails crawls down it, etc). Pony up for the spears with unions, you'll thank me down the road when you need to clean it.
Forgot to mention that... unions are everything!!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reduce your drain to one inch going into the sump and buy the schedule 40 gate valve. You only need a gate valve on the primary.

I would have never bought their sump or any fancy type limiting sump as a 40 breeder, 60 breeder or 75g tank is much easier to customize and less than half the cost.

I have a 40 breeder sump and my gate valve is just slip fitted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2959780
Do you think I would be fine if I reduced my primary drain down to 1 inch?

OP
OP
squidarcher

squidarcher

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce your drain to one inch going into the sump and buy the schedule 40 gate valve. You only need a gate valve on the primary.

I would have never bought their sump or any fancy type limiting sump as a 40 breeder, 60 breeder or 75g tank is much easier to customize and less than half the cost.

I have a 40 breeder sump and my gate valve is just slip fitted.
I actually got a 55 gallon and added acrylic baffles. I set it up for my 75 and now I want to use it for the 150.

Top Shelf Aquatics

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2959780
That is sharp!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back