Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told there is no way to avoid the ugly stage and to keep my lights off as much as possible. Why wouldn’t I want to accelerate the ugly stage by having the lights on as much as possible before adding coral and more fish?

Top Shelf Aquatics

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the idea is that lights off allows for some things that compete with algae to grow first. I don't know if this actually works. Certainly it is known that algae's main "germination condition" is the presence of ammonia, so presumably a tank with a more established nitrogen fixing microbe population would grow less algae or at lest grow it more slowly. But bare rocks will inevitably be covered in algae if nothing else is in the way.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about a gradual cycle. If you do it too fast it may allow for something to take over too well and be impossible to get rid of. I like to start with copepods then ramp up the lights over a few weeks.
There's many different levels of uglies. Mild ones that last a week or two each leg and ones that cause people to give up because they can't beat it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about a gradual cycle. If you do it too fast it may allow for something to take over too well and be impossible to get rid of. I like to start with copepods then ramp up the lights over a few weeks.
There's many different levels of uglies. Mild ones that last a week or two each leg and ones that cause people to give up because they can't beat it.
Love the Echoes reference :):)

OP
OP
R

Red2143

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the recommended ramp up period?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back