Why Clownfish stopped going to BTA after let out of the box?

Nurse.Reef.Reapeat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 3 clownfishes, 2 Davinci and one black ice. I have 4 RBTA, which I just got. I put them on the floating box. I caught the 3 clownfish and put them on the box. all 3 of them hosted after couple of hours. after day 2 I released the clowns and the nems in my tank. but its been 3 days now, never seen them clownfish back on the nems.

Any advice to make them host again? Do I do the same Box trick again and maybe put it longer?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Bob Loblaw

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with all the designer names but assume those are either Ocellaris or Percs, neither of which are a natural for BTAs. Once out of the confines of the box, everything in the tank looks/smells just as appealing as the BTAs. You can't force hosting b/w non symbionts, some people just get lucky. Add a Gig, Mag, or Mert and hosting will be near instant and constant.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

shred5

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept most clownfish varieties and they all hosted a bta if it was natural host or not. Some i wish they would not because they were to ruff for a BTA.

I find tank raised if not brought up with a anemone can be hit or miss on if they do or dont or how much.

Some will love a anemone to death while other may decide in a captive environment not too. I have had ones that use them just at night while other just infrequently. It really depends with captive raised.
I have had all mine use a anemone at least some of the time but have known other who have had theirs not.
I have had some not use for years and then one day there they are in the anemone.

Really a clownfish hosts because it feels threatened.

Top Shelf Aquatics

davocean

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with all the designer names but assume those are either Ocellaris or Percs, neither of which are a natural for BTAs. Once out of the confines of the box, everything in the tank looks/smells just as appealing as the BTAs. You can't force hosting b/w non symbionts, some people just get lucky. Add a Gig, Mag, or Mert and hosting will be near instant and constant.

Agree, whether tank bred or wild caught the best chance of having a host relationship is giving a natural host match, and we often see that clowns that ignored BTA will go straight into a natural host when that is provided.

Also be aware that as your clowns mature and pair up, the 3rd wheel may no longer be accepted

Huff747

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (which I think are Ocellaris) hosted a corner of the tank for several months, then moved into a Duncan coral for several more months and probably 3 months after the BTA was added they discovered it. The female first and a week or so later the male moved out of the Duncan to join her.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back