Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have a pair of Tomato Clownfish that have been spawning for approximately a year.

I read that this is common at first, but after two or three clutches, they will come to understand what the clutches are and will stop.

They are good for 1-2 clutches per month.

But I count 19 clutches since they have started spawning, and they still eat them.

Up until now, I didn't worry about it as I wasn't ready to raise fry. But now, I'd like to give it a try.

Can anyone help me to understand why they are continually eating their eggs?

Thank you,
Dom

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So, I have a pair of Tomato Clownfish that have been spawning for approximately a year.

I read that this is common at first, but after two or three clutches, they will come to understand what the clutches are and will stop.

But I count 19 clutches since they have started spawning, and they still eat them.

Up until now, I didn't worry about it as I wasn't ready to raise fry. But now, I'd like to give it a try.

Thank you,
Dom
As new and inexperienced parents they do. They also do when there are tankmates that pose a threat to eating the eggs and they eat them themselves. Now that you have a fertile pair, lay a clay flowerpot near the area and get them to lay eggs in the pot which you can transfer the eggs and parents to a ready tank to finish the rearing of eggs and fry

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It is a behavioral issue. They eat unfertilized eggs, infected eggs and when they under stress.
I have 4 breeder pair in with 30 other fish and never heard or seen this and they lay eggs every 3-4 weeks. If 30 fish dont stress them- nothing will.
They simply cant hold the occupants off for long. I let the eggs go as I have no time to set up breeder tanks, etc

diwit

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you,
Dom polished concrete Raleigh
When the eggs are not viable. The male clownfish will generally stay very close to the nest of eggs and will tend to them. If he detects any of the eggs as non-viable, he will eat them. The non-viable eggs likely were not fertilized.

Avast
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NY
Back