Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just on nanoreefs.com, and saw a guy post this ont the http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92903 thread:

wav3form Yesterday, 03:26 AM Post #6
Nano Reefer
Member No.: 20,531

QUOTE(jhong567 @ Jul 21 2006, 02:27 AM)

I put together a 75w metal halide setup for about 88 dollars. NAIS ballast (used- $40), 14k bulb from foster&smith ($40), regent halogen fixture ($8 walmart). Gotta be a DIY'er to do it though. Not everyone is. I have it over my 10 gallon reef tank. QUOTE

What do you guys think??!!?? I'm thinking about trying it out one day while I have this extra time. I am pretty sure I could mount them to the inside of the canopy on the sedona tank.

Laurie

Avast

gflat65

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it's really not hard. I build everything I can (where time and fab equipment allow). You can DIy a double VHO setup at hellolights for $100 + shipping (unless the price has increased in the last six months). All you need are wires and plug (includes ballast, bulbs, endcaps).

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gflat65 said:
And it's really not hard. I build everything I can (where time and fab equipment allow). You can DIy a double VHO setup at hellolights for $100 + shipping (unless the price has increased in the last six months). All you need are wires and plug (includes ballast, bulbs, endcaps).

I saved that PM you sent me where you talked about the ballasts for the VHOs. I showed it to Kris, and he said he thinks he can do it like you said. I've been checking lighting out EVERYWHERE for the different kinds, because I think after talking to you and Azurel, I'm getting rid of the PC lights altogether.

I keep checking out the canopy to see what I can fit into it. I know the best combo might be the 150 MH and t-5s... but I'd liek to keep at least one VHO bulb in there too (Just because I liked your set up really) so I have a bit of everything... I figure it can't hurt, especially with different photoperiods.

:D
Laurie

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also.. those 40$ ARO ballasts are ballasts a guy at NR bought off ebay by the case. he got them for like 100$ a case becasue they failed ARO's heat tests. SOme say that doesnt mean anything, but most (including ARO feel the ballast will fail prematurely or catch fire..
$88 isnt worth it to me.. get a decent ballast and save your house..

you can tell the failed ballasts by the little red dot put on the right side (middle) top of the case-- on the label..

AquaCave Logo Banner

gflat65

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find magnetic ballasts at places like Grainger for relatively cheap. You's still need the cords, and enclosure (if you chose to run one) and the mogul, but those are relatively cheap, too. I ended up paying $70 for a 175W ballast a few years ago. I've heard fo people finding 250W ballasts for less than that from similar type places.

Timanator

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find magnetic ballasts at places like Grainger for relatively cheap. You's still need the cords, and enclosure (if you chose to run one) and the mogul, but those are relatively cheap, too. I ended up paying $70 for a 175W ballast a few years ago. I've heard fo people finding 250W ballasts for less than that from similar type places.

Got any part# for this?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back