Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who owns a porcupine pufferfish? After they eat do you notice they breathe a lot heavier? I do! He does eat really fast and takes big bites and I know he’s regurgitated food before. I’m wondering if yours does this too/if it’s normal?

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who owns a porcupine pufferfish? After they eat do you notice they breathe a lot heavier? I do! He does he really fast and takes big bites and I know he’s regurgitated food before. I’m wondering if yours does this too/if it’s normal?
I have one and when he eats he definitely spits it out and generally goes after it again. They are definitely messy eaters. As for breathing heavy, I really haven’t paid attention to it, but I do think when he is more active like eating his respiration increases. Some times he just lays on a rock or snuggles in a cave and I can hardly tell he’s breathing, then I notice he is breathing heavy and used to get concerned but think it is normal now.
If he is a new addition, you might want an ammonia badge just to be in the safe side. Because of their eating habits, it can take a few days for the bio filter to catch up, unless you do a really good job of cleaning up after them. I doubt he will have a negative impact on a well established tank, but might have an issue with a more recently cycled tank.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and when he eats he definitely spits it out and generally goes after it again. They are definitely messy eaters. As for breathing heavy, I really haven’t paid attention to it, but I do think when he is more active like eating his respiration increases. Some times he just lays on a rock or snuggles in a cave and I can hardly tell he’s breathing, then I notice he is breathing heavy and used to get concerned but think it is normal now.
If he is a new addition, you might want an ammonia badge just to be in the safe side. Because of their eating habits, it can take a few days for the bio filter to catch up, unless you do a really good job of cleaning up after them. I doubt he will have a negative impact on a well established tank, but might have an issue with a more recently cycled tank.
It does not have to do with ammonia or cycling! I only notice it happen after he eats and yes they are messy eaters!

Nutramar Foods

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have to do with ammonia or cycling! I only notice it happen after he eats and yes they are messy eaters!
That’s good. I only brought it up as this would cause fish to breath heavily. I had cycled a 210 gallon FOWLR to fully convert 2.0 ammonia, and added three larger angels at the same time (as I didn’t want one or the other to get territorial) and they crashed the system so I always warn about it. Sometimes it comes out of nowhere, lol.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good. I only brought it up as this would cause fish to breath heavily. I had cycled a 210 gallon FOWLR to fully convert 2.0 ammonia, and added three larger angels at the same time (as I didn’t want one or the other to get territorial) and they crashed the system so I always warn about it. Sometimes it comes out of nowhere, lol.
That’s sad! And yes adding a lot at the same time to a new tank can do that.

Nutramar Foods

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sad! And yes adding a lot at the same time to a new tank can do that.
Which is why I cycled to the full 2.0.
Is this your first Porcupine? They are so fun, we love ours. He will come to you when you walk up to the tank and zig zag back and forth looking like a happy puppy. When you feed, he will sometimes spit water at you. Mine will actually make the front of my shirt wet at times. This is because in nature they blow water into the rocks to flush out prey. I have some long polyp GSP in my FOWLR tanks (I know that technically makes it a mixed reef) and he will sometimes lay in it like it’s grass.
Try not to startle them as it is said to not be good for them to puff up, but I have had puffers puff with no problem, but if they do make sure the deflate in a short period of time. If not google as there are methods to help them deflate.
Mine loves krill, but now will eat everything I feed. Squid, frozen shelled shrimp, silversides and krill. I also feed mussels and little neck clams once a week or so. Puffers need to chew on their shells to control the growth of their hard beak.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is why I cycled to the full 2.0.
Is this your first Porcupine? They are so fun, we love ours. He will come to you when you walk up to the tank and zig zag back and forth looking like a happy puppy. When you feed, he will sometimes spit water at you. Mine will actually make the front of my shirt wet at times. This is because in nature they blow water into the rocks to flush out prey. I have some long polyp GSP in my FOWLR tanks (I know that technically makes it a mixed reef) and he will sometimes lay in it like it’s grass.
Try not to startle them as it is said to not be good for them to puff up, but I have had puffers puff with no problem, but if they do make sure the deflate in a short period of time. If not google as there are methods to help them deflate.
Mine loves krill, but now will eat everything I feed. Squid, frozen shelled shrimp, silversides and krill. I also feed mussels and little neck clams once a week or so. Puffers need to chew on their shells to control the growth of their hard beak.
It is and it took mine awhile to eat and he only ate live foods! Now he loves shrimp that’s his favorite. The only time he full on puffed up was when a live crab pinched him and he got mad it was entertaining lol! I know sometimes they do it to stretch as well it’s so darn cute! Say hello to Hewbie who will be going into his permanent home very soon at my Mom’s work and I’m not ready to give him up!:pleading-face: Although I will still be caring for him and seeing him a lot and I know he’ll be much happier in the big tank.

92920115-E1AE-4DAD-9194-36E482463191.jpeg

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is and it took mine awhile to eat and he only ate live foods! Now he loves shrimp that’s his favorite. The only time he full on puffed up was when a live crab pinched him and he got mad it was entertaining lol! I know sometimes they do it to stretch as well it’s so darn cute! Say hello to Hewbie who will be going into his permanent home very soon at my Mom’s work and I’m not ready to give him up!:pleading-face: Although I will still be caring for him and seeing him a lot and I know he’ll be much happier in the big tank.

View attachment 3059802
He is super cute. Thanks for sharing. My lights are still off, but if I can remember I’ll send you a pic of Smiley later.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back