Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lastnight I was looking in my tank and spotted this crab. He definitely isn't a blue legged hermit crab. He is big in size and red but looks fuzzy like a spider. Here's a short video all I could get of him. He has actual claws and I never purchased him guessing he came from the LR. He's also digging a burrow under a rock and my orange clown goby is missing..... Did the grab eat him while he was sleeping?.... Any thoughts

Attachments

• VID_20221101_014159.mp4
    41.2 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Gorilla will have black tips on claw. Its somewhat hidden to actually identify but can also be rock crab, decorator crab or Flattop crab

OP
OP
J

James5214

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorilla will have black tips on claw. Its somewhat hidden to actually identify but can also be rock crab, decorator crab or Flattop crab
It's looks more like a flat top or a rock crab. I can't see it's pinchers for sure but from coloration it doesn't seem to be a gorilla grab the one in my tank is a very bright red and the fur like stuff all over it will try and get more videos. But orange goby is still MIA

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's looks more like a flat top or a rock crab. I can't see it's pinchers for sure but from coloration it doesn't seem to be a gorilla grab the one in my tank is a very bright red and the fur like stuff all over it will try and get more videos. But orange goby is still MIA
Rock is my guess and common
On Goby, if still MIA, they are notorious jumpers but also end up in tank overflows and sumps

Argentum

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video, I couldn't see the claw tips to tell if they were black or not. Those bristles on his legs are what set warning bells off in my mind and made me think gorilla crab. Either way, if the orange clown goby didn't jump, he might have died from another reason and was scavanged by the crab, or the crab could have gotten him during the night as he slept. I hope the goby turns back up, but at this point with that crab in there, I'd guess it isn't likely. :(

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot to go on, but the hairy spikes on the legs says gorilla crab to me. I captured one out of my rock with a jar trap. It took like 3 weeks of setting the trap every night, but I finally got it.
IMG_5075.jpg

Here is a decorator crab I caught yesterday for reference.

image1 (5).jpeg

And a red mithrax
IMG_5107.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Battlecorals
Back