Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start a conversation about this product and reefers schedules, stats, and dosing parameters that reefers have implemented with this Polyplab Product "ONE" so I can follow some guidelines and generate some knowledge on this three in one dosing product.

Please answer if you have small tanks under the 50 Gallon range since their dosing recommendations are too broad and for larger tanks.

All advice is welcome, I like to start dosing but would like to be well informed before using it, there is very little research and/or reviews online.

Please post your tank size, schedule and dosing measurements so we can all learn, compare and reproduce.

Product in question: https://www.polyplab.com/products/one

WHAT IS POLYPLAB ONE?:
PolypLab One is engineered from two forms of acetate and hydroxide salts. When dosed, the calcium magnesium ions are freely available for uptake by corals, clams, and many other reef organisms. The acetate ions are metabolized by bacteria to create biologically available biocarbonate. The hydroxide salts provide further buffering capabilities.

- Does not elevate salinity.
- Does not contain calcium carbonate.
- Phosphate and silicate free.

Ingredients: Calcium Acetate, Magnesium Acetate, Hydroxide Salts

Contains Approximately: 70,000 mg/L Calcium, 16,000 mg/L Magnesium, 4,000 meq/L of Alkalinity

DIRECTIONS:
Fill bottle with Reverse osmosis water and shake, add RO water until level is up to the neck of the bottle. your product is ready to be use. Shake well before each use. For every 50 gallons of total aquarium volume, dose 1-4 capfuls (5-20mL) in an area with good and away from direct contact with corals. Keep bottle tightly closed when not in use.

This product will temporarily cloud aquarium water after dosing so it is recommended to dose ONE at night.

Proper dosing with One maintains: 400 ppm Ca, 7 dkh, 1300 ppm Mg

one.png

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks usually dose Mag, Calc, and Alk separately to avoid overdosing, this product takes away that ability, so it would be a pass for me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it that you actually want to know?

What other people do is often not the best answer to a chemistry question. lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I discuss products like this one here:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION
http://www.reefedition.com/the-many-methods-for-supplementing-calcium-and-alkalinity/

One-part balanced additive systems: Calcium Acetate

Calcium acetate is a product that has gotten relatively little publicity despite its apparent ease of use and the commercial availability to aquarists. In some ways it is similar to the combination of limewater and vinegar. When dissolved in water (fresh or salt), you have calcium ions and acetate ions. The acetate is rapidly metabolized by tank organisms to form bicarbonate, carbon dioxide, and water:

CH3CO2– (acetate) + 2 O2 → HCO3– + CO2 + H2O

This equation suggests that pH of such tanks may stay near the low end of normal, because of the excess carbon dioxide, but the practical experience of people using calcium acetate suggests that this is not a big concern.

Calcium acetate will also facilitate the growth of bacteria and the reduction of nutrients in systems, similar to that with folks dosing vinegar or vodka for that purpose. It will also facilitate conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas (N2) in anoxic regions of live sand and rock by providing the carbon source necessary for the process. The equation below shows the process that could take place:

5 CH3CO2– (acetate) + 8 NO3– → 10 CO2 + 4 N2 + 13 OH– + H2O

One of the sources of calcium acetate available to aquarists is Salifert’s All in One (a product that also contains some strontium, amino acids, and some trace elements). It is a liquid product that can be poured directly into a tank with no immediate concerns about pH. The current version of their commercial product is 250,000-mg/L calcium acetate, so it contains the equivalent of 3,160 meq/L of alkalinity. This product sells in the US for about $45/L. Consequently, it costs about $14 per thousand meq/L of alkalinity. That price makes it very expensive for an aquarium with a large demand for calcium and alkalinity, but the zero equipment cost (unless you automate it with a dosing pump) makes it attractive for small aquaria, especially nano-reef tanks.

I have no information on the purity of the material, or the exact nature of the “trace elements” in it. Everything in the bottle will be delivered to the tank. It poses no unusual safety concerns. The upper limit to how much calcium and alkalinity can be supplied to a tank in this fashion depends on two factors. If the metabolism of acetate is rapid and the dose is very high, oxygen might be depleted. If the conversion is slow then acetate can build up in the tank (not itself a significant concern except perhaps at very high levels where it might confound an alkalinity test). Habib Sekha of Salifert has indicated that using the doses recommended on the bottle will not lead to either of these issues being problematic.

Overdosing is not expected to be an unusual problem, but if one makes significant additions in this fashion, the alkalinity will take time to show up completely in the tank because the acetate takes time to be metabolized. Consequently, I’d wait a day after adding it to measure alkalinity. Calcium measurement won’t be similarly impacted. Tank salinity will not increase over time using calcium acetate.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One warning against Polylab One is that is requires shaking prior to every use. This means you can't use it for automated dosing. I was hoping to use this product on my small QT tank. Solid particles would form in the Polylab One bottle.

I switched to TM's CarboCalcium which provides Alk/Ca in one solution and doesn't require mixing. I'm a much bigger fan of the TM product. BRS carries it.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One warning against Polylab One is that is requires shaking prior to every use. This means you can't use it for automated dosing. I was hoping to use this product on my small QT tank. Solid particles would form in the Polylab One bottle.

I switched to TM's TurboCalicum which provides Alk/Ca in one solution and doesn't require mixing. I'm a much bigger fan of the TM product. BRS carries it.
Did you ever consider the TM "All For Reef" product?

Just curious... :D

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered it, but my QT get large water changes and I went for the simplicity of a powder that dissolves in rodi.

That makes sense over here.... :)

Thanks for the info on the Poly One... ;Writing

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the polyplab one product on my 50 gallon sps dominant and I absolutely love it. I do have to shake it vigorously before dosing, so it wouldn’t be suitable for an automatic dozer. Cal, alk, and mag are perfectly balance and nitrates and phosphates have dropped significantly as well. My acros are the happiest I’ve ever seen them.

OP
OP
Daniel Troconis

Daniel Troconis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the polyplab one product on my 50 gallon sps dominant and I absolutely love it. I do have to shake it vigorously before dosing, so it wouldn’t be suitable for an automatic dozer. Cal, alk, and mag are perfectly balance and nitrates and phosphates have dropped significantly as well. My acros are the happiest I’ve ever seen them.
How often do you do water changes

OP
OP
Daniel Troconis

Daniel Troconis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since there is little to no documentation and/or examples of use on this product I like to know how people are using it overall and how it affects their aquariums: parameter and parameters based on water change schedules.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you tried diluting it a bit with RO/DI to see if it all dissolves? It might just be near the saturation point.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there is little to no documentation and/or examples of use on this product I like to know how people are using it overall and how it affects their aquariums: parameter and parameters based on water change schedules.

Fair enough. But the internet is awash is chemical misunderstandings. When folks do not know how a product actually works (and with this sort of product, many do not) and just report "results" for a particular tank, it is much harder to know if those results will translate to a different tank system. :)

Charlie’s Frags

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1 cap a day and my alk, cal, and mag stay at 7.9-8.1, 400, and 1400. I change 10 gallons every 2 weeks. The tank has around 20 large acro frags, so I check alk everyday to make sure it’s stable.

Charlie’s Frags

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried diluting it a bit with RO/DI to see if it all dissolves? It might just be near the saturation point.
That’s a good idea, but it’s very simple at the moment to shake and add one cap.

OP
OP
Daniel Troconis

Daniel Troconis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 1 cap a day and my alk, cal, and mag stay at 7.9-8.1, 400, and 1400. I change 10 gallons every 2 weeks. The tank has around 20 large acro frags, so I check alk everyday to make sure it’s stable.

Great! this is the type of knowledge I was looking to find! Highly appreciated!
How many gallons is your tank?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back