White spots on Pyramid butterfly’s

Skiskate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I received 3 yellow pyramid butterfly fish on Friday afternoon. All three ate within a couple of hours of being in the tank. The tank is a 40 gallon cube with a fully functioning biological filter. Ammonia and nitrite test 0. Salinity is 1.109 that matched the vendors shipping water. All three are eating vigorously and acting normal. However, I see these white spots on all of them maybe 3-4 spots on each. I am not treating and don’t plan to unless I need to. I’m looking for advice on any steps I should take at this point if anything…thinking of doing 1.013 hypo for 35 days in case it’s neo. Any advice would be appreciated!

IMG_0254.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If doing hypo without any other form of quarantine you should follow this post.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem you have now is that the lower salinity by the seller will hide any issues thse fish might have. It's done by vendors to save money on salt and to lessen the effects of various ailments. Once salinity gets to normal ranges things like ich will start the thrive.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are in quarantine but not treating so far. I will move them to my 160 gallon tank after observation/quarantine
Rather than delaying and being worried of an issue I would start this recommended quarantine procedure as soon as possible.

OP
OP
Skiskate

Skiskate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than delaying and being worried of an issue I would start this recommended quarantine procedure as soon as possible.

Yep. That’s what I figured. Thanks for your response.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi. I received 3 yellow pyramid butterfly fish on Friday afternoon. All three ate within a couple of hours of being in the tank. The tank is a 40 gallon cube with a fully functioning biological filter. Ammonia and nitrite test 0. Salinity is 1.109 that matched the vendors shipping water. All three are eating vigorously and acting normal. However, I see these white spots on all of them maybe 3-4 spots on each. I am not treating and don’t plan to unless I need to. I’m looking for advice on any steps I should take at this point if anything…thinking of doing 1.013 hypo for 35 days in case it’s neo. Any advice would be appreciated!

IMG_0254.jpeg
These are bumps from skin irritation and not abnormal with this type of fish. If the bumps have remained the same and not increased the last 24 hours, you can keep an eye on it and assure good water quality and diet and for prevention you can treat tank with ruby rally pro or in separate tank IF bumps increase with a broad spectrum treatment such as Seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex.

OP
OP
Skiskate

Skiskate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are bumps from skin irritation and not abnormal with this type of fish. If the bumps have remained the same and not increased the last 24 hours, you can keep an eye on it and assure good water quality and diet and for prevention you can treat tank with ruby rally pro or in separate tank IF bumps increase with a broad spectrum treatment such as Seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex.
Thank you. The spots have been stable since I noticed them on Saturday. They don’t seem to be increasing in quantity . I did order some ruby rally pro that will get here today. I will monitor the spots and take action if necessary. Thanks for the advice

OP
OP
Skiskate

Skiskate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question. I have the specific gravity at 1.019 at this point. Does it make sense to leave it there until finished with quarantine or raise it up closer to reef tank levels 1.025 or so?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are in quarantine but not treating so far. I will move them to my 160 gallon tank after observation/quarantine
This species is really prone to Neobenedenia flukes - I really think you should do a full copper/prazi quarantine on these, or at least 30 days of hypo for ich and Neo.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back