Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have had this hammer for about a month now, my nitrates and phosphates got pretty high so I have been doing a lot of water changes, running chempure blue, and reduced my white lights. My tank is getting clean again but this hammer has me nervous with this white skeleton. I don’t have means to test calcium or DKH but I imagine in a 16 gal tank with all the water I’ve been changing i wouldn’t suspect it’s those or trace elements. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-
586CF52A-FC43-459B-B407-D81D75EEA1AC.jpeg
SouthWestSalty

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SouthWestSalt

SouthWestSalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have had this hammer for about a month now, my nitrates and phosphates got pretty high so I have been doing a lot of water changes, running chempure blue, and reduced my white lights. My tank is getting clean again but this hammer has me nervous with this white skeleton. I don’t have means to test calcium or DKH but I imagine in a 16 gal tank with all the water I’ve been changing i wouldn’t suspect it’s those or trace elements. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-View attachment 2929141SouthWestSalty
Bump please

3sgterror

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tissue recession to me. The White ring is because of the skeleton being exposed where there used to be flesh.

This looks like a fairly new tank considering how white the rock work is.

How old is the tank? Your tank might still be maturing which can sometimes cause issues with Euphyllia. Typically Euphyllia like a dirtier tank (i.e. higher nitrates). You really should get proper tests so that you can tell us all your parameters. We can then try to narrow it down that way.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SouthWestSalt

SouthWestSalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like tissue recession to me. The White ring is because of the skeleton being exposed where there used to be flesh.

This looks like a fairly new tank considering how white the rock work is.

How old is the tank? Your tank might still be maturing which can sometimes cause issues with Euphyllia. Typically Euphyllia like a dirtier tank (i.e. higher nitrates). You really should get proper tests so that you can tell us all your parameters. We can then try to narrow it down that way.
Hello thanks for the reply, the tank is going on five months, I finally went and got a Red Sea kit I still need a phosphate test kit but here are my results.
Temp 82,
Salinity 1.026/35 ppt using refractometer and ice cap pen which were both just re calibrated.
DKH 8.4
MG 1400
CA 460
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
I ended up moving the hammer up higher on some rock and it already seems to be happier as far as it opening back up more than it has. Maybe it was just ticked being left down on the sand bed and wasn’t getting enough light?

877CB6D3-95DB-4E1B-94C3-994EE6D598F3.jpeg B0FBC8CD-C864-4C2F-822B-9465F43662E7.jpeg

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello thanks for the reply, the tank is going on five months, I finally went and got a Red Sea kit I still need a phosphate test kit but here are my results.
Temp 82,
Salinity 1.026/35 ppt using refractometer and ice cap pen which were both just re calibrated.
DKH 8.4
MG 1400
CA 460
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
I ended up moving the hammer up higher on some rock and it already seems to be happier as far as it opening back up more than it has. Maybe it was just ticked being left down on the sand bed and wasn’t getting enough light?

View attachment 2931783 View attachment 2931784
Agree with the other two posters, flesh receded, feed the star.
Good move to move it up, they don't like sand.
Lights? Should be 150~250ish par.
Flow? Medium, chaotic. (not blasting from just one side).

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SouthWestSalt

SouthWestSalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the other two posters, flesh receded, feed the star.
Good move to move it up, they don't like sand.
Lights? Should be 150~250ish par.
Flow? Medium, chaotic. (not blasting from just one side).
It is in I would say medium flow, according to the Biocubes stock light par chart It should be in around the 190 range now but I don’t know how accurate that is, it does say the sand bed is only getting 50-80 I got the star from my lfs my sand bed was really dirty but he didn’t mention it needed a very established bed that kinda bums me out, the star has gotten my sand super clean so he is probably running out of food then, what should I feed? I did find copepods hanging out in my rocks last night so that’s a good find. Thanks for the advice!

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in I would say medium flow, according to the Biocubes stock light par chart It should be in around the 190 range now but I don’t know how accurate that is, it does say the sand bed is only getting 50-80 I got the star from my lfs my sand bed was really dirty but he didn’t mention it needed a very established bed that kinda bums me out, the star has gotten my sand super clean so he is probably running out of food then, what should I feed? I did find copepods hanging out in my rocks last night so that’s a good find. Thanks for the advice!
The star will eat anything. Algae pellets, meaty stuff. Just drop it near him and make sure he gets it and not the fish.

OP
OP
SouthWestSalt

SouthWestSalt

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The star will eat anything. Algae pellets, meaty stuff. Just drop it near him and make sure he gets it and not the fish.
Will do thank you!

World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back