Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this guy in QT for about 6 weeks and can not get him healed up. Did observation for 2 weeks and got him used to QT life and he is eating great. Good weight and color. Dosed Prazi (normal procedure) and was feeding Metroplex/focus for some other fish that had worms. He was getting it as a preventative. No luck after 4 weeks and then I started API Triple Sulfa. One complete treatment per the instructions and still no signs of healing. Not sure what to do next. Will try a second treatment after a water change. Has anyone had luck curing white mouth?

14B88E54-8675-4AAF-A0ED-A068A4E87CFF.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abx are pretty slow to work so yes I would repeat triple sulfa.

Can you post a better pic?

I wonder if perhaps the white mouth is due to an injury? Koles will work very hard to scrape algae

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if perhaps the white mouth is due to an injury? Koles will work very hard to scrape algae

This. It might not necessarily be “infected”, just inflamed. My lineatus had a mouth injury from shipping, it’s not gotten any worse but it swelled pretty significantly over the first several weeks. It’s finally starting to get better now, and I haven’t used any antibiotics...just gave it time. If it’s red or looks like there is tissue receding that is more alarming.

You could try just plain pharmaceutical grade epsom salt for the swelling.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent an hour trying to get him to cooperate and give me a picture. He is used to me being in the fish room now and swims around but I can't get him to stay still long enough for my iphone to grab a picture. He came in with what look like a mouth injury and it wasn't that bad. It progressed to this after a week. The mouth doesn't look inflamed at all it is just white and has some loose skin or scales(?) around the mouth area. There would be no way for me to get a pic that close unless I get him out of the water and hold him still. I really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a video? You could try to run a second course of the TS or maybe even switch to something with a bit broader-range like kanaplex+metroplex+furan-2 for 10 days; or NFG powder.

Also, a 90-minute acriflavine bath (like ruby reef rally) might help you get a leg-up if you do believe you’re dealing with a stubborn infection.

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a video? You could try to run a second course of the TS or maybe even switch to something with a bit broader-range like kanaplex+metroplex+furan-2 for 10 days; or NFG powder.

Also, a 90-minute acriflavine bath (like ruby reef rally) might help you get a leg-up if you do believe you’re dealing with a stubborn infection.

I ordered some Kanaplex and have been dosing the Metro/Focus to him. I also stock Ruby Reef Rally and could try a bath as well. He is really a cool fish and healthy otherwise and I'm trying to keep his treatment as non evasive as possible. But it is looking like I am running out of options for sure to try to cure him.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update the Kole Tang is not doing well. Did a large water change after running the triple sulfa and waited a few days and started Furan-2. Turned the water yellow as I expected but on day three after 2 doses the tang is very lethargic and not eating nori which he loves. Mouth looks even worse now. Should run carbon and water change or finish the doses and see what happens? Got some better pics and video

Top Shelf Aquatics

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give him a RRR bath and I would finish a course of antibiotics.

^^ This, and have you received the kanaplex yet? I would add in the kanaplex and metroplex (to the water column). The infection is getting ahead of him :/

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This, and have you received the kanaplex yet? I would add in the kanaplex and metroplex (to the water column). The infection is getting ahead of him :/
I have the RRR on hand and can give him a bath. I have not received the Kanaplex yet. Should I stop on the Furan and WC? Says this stuff kills biological filtration as well. I got 2 bags of seeded media in my main sump I can swap out when I get this dude healthy.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not stop the Furan-2, but if you think there could be ammonia then definitely do a sizable water change. Just re-dose the new water according to it’s volume.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not stop the Furan-2, but if you think there could be ammonia then definitely do a sizable water change. Just re-dose the new water according to it’s volume.
^^ I agree don’t stop because then this could go sideways real quick. What you have in the water now may be the only thing keeping him in the fight.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back